PDA

View Full Version : Sprinklers

Cloral
12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I know, I know, I make a lot of threads here about what I'm doing on my house. But I just wanted to talk about what I did today. Which was to replace the valves in the manifold for my sprinklers. Three valves in total. All three required sawing off the old pvc piping and soldering on new pipes and connectors.

This had to be done because all three valves were old and leaky. This wouldn't've been a huge deal, except that I discovered that my main sprinkler shutoff valve also leaks, which means that water was constantly leaking out of the system. It also means that before I began my soldering I had to turn off the master water shutoff valve for the entire house. So I'm now without water until the joints dry. But on the plus side, the new valves I installed have attachments for a timer, so next I'll wire up the timer I got and get my sprinklers running on automatic.

pkmnfrk
12-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey, be glad your main wasn't leaky too, otherwise you'd have to get the city to shut off your house, or possibly your block!

(I live in a high-rise, so I don't know if houses get individual shut off valves in a block)

biggiy05
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
You're talking about sprinklers and it's about to snow again over here. I'm always amazed at how different the weather can be from one side of the world to the next.

Cloral
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Around here, winter weather is rain and maybe some wind. In fact, we got about an inch of rain yesterday (probably from the same storm you guys are going to get). That actually made it the perfect time to do the work, as the valve manifold is below the roof, and the rain means I won't have to water the lawn again for about a week.

Icey
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, great timing for this rain for you Cloral. I've been waiting for rain all year... finally we got a little. Not nearly enough though IMO.