PDA

View Full Version : Die, Die My Darling

Mercy
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I went to see The Misfits last night with our very own Breaker. Fucking Awesome. We stood right up front at the barricade separating the crowd from the stage and I am still partially deaf. Worth every muted sound, though.

The first of two opening bads were The Angst. I had heard of them previously but was not really familiar with them. Singer, guitarist, bassist, and drummer. Did I say "singer"? I meant "yeller". Not bad but one of those speed-metal, punk bands that relies too heavily on distortion. The second band, Big City Bombers, was better. Two guitarists, bassist, and drummer. One of the guitarists and the bassists did most of the lead vocals but the whole band joined in. Better musicians and vocals you could actually understand. Jello Biafra would have been proud. They reminded me a bit of The Dead Milkmen with less satire and more chords.

I expected a band who's members are all around fifty would have slowed down but I was wrong. They went straight through from one song to the next at rapid speed with few exceptions for equipment changes and dialogue. They dedicated Descending Angel to the little Florida girl, Summer, who was recently abducted and found murdered. It was Only's personal request that 'Misfits fans try helping to find the girl's murderer and "bring him justice". I thought I even saw him tear up a little but it may have been all the eyeliner. And to think some people say punk has not soul. Jerry was just as charismatic as ever, maybe even more so than when I saw them years ago. The line up has changed a bit with the other two members, Dez Cadena and Robo coming from Black Flag among other projects. There was even some Black Flag played which was the icing on the cake for this old-school punk girl. As per his usual S.O.P., Jerry mingled with the crowd after the show signing autographs, posing, hugging, and generally being a congenial guy.

Many thanks again to Breaker for taking me to the show. He was the mac-daddy of the night with me and three of his college co-ed friends in tow. He has no idea how badly I wanted to pitch him into the mosh pit for kicks. *grins*

-m.

Zaphod Q. IX
12-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Color me jealous. I'm glad you kids had fun. I'm going to have to make some shows in the next year, since so many of my all time favorites are touring again...

Many thanks again to Breaker for taking me to the show. He was the mac-daddy of the night with me and three of his college co-ed friends in tow. He has no idea how badly I wanted to pitch him into the mosh pit for kicks. *grins*

I'm not sure I would have been able to resist. :sb:

SUCCESSOR
12-07-2009, 03:50 AM
I am also jealous. Though it's been awhile since I've thought about the Misfits. The closest I've been to seeing them live was a guy playing on stage with a with a five&dime guitar playing their songs at half pace in some sort of emotionless soft rock. I wanted to throw something at him. Most of the kids at the show didn't know what he was butchering so they were ignoring him. I was quite ticked.

Breaker
12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Thanks for coming out Mercy! My friends absolutely loved your company, as did I. I had a blast the whole weekend!

Mercy
12-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Your friends were great. Not the usual stuck up skanks I usually meet from UCF. I appreciated that they absorbed me into the group right away even though we had never met before. Word of warning, if the images from the show wind up here before I see them, I'll make sure they know just what kind of nerd you really are. *grin*

"My vagina knows road angles."
Somehow I doubt I shall ever forget that quote.

So, Henry Rollins in March?

-m