PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Monkey Island

Darth Marsden
11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Ok, since the old thread about this game was lost, and I noticed that someone had posted in it, I thought I'd create a new thread for the awesomeness of ToMI. SO whoever it was who posted, please do so again - I'd love to talk about episode 4!

Cloral
11-30-2009, 01:23 PM
That was me. I finally finished chapter 4 when I realized that there was a locked door in DeSinge's house I hadn't used the hook on. Since I had all the other steps in place it only took me another 20 minutes or so to finish the chapter once I did that.

I think chapter 5 is going to start as playing as Elaine, with the goal of recovering the hand and extracting Jeu de Vie from it.

Darth Marsden
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I kinda guessed. Wish I'd managed to read your original post. Stupid haxors!

I'm not so sure about playing as Elaine. It'd be the first time in Monkey Island history that we'd be playing as someone other then Guybrush, and I think Telltale are too obsessed about being faithful to the series to do something like that. I'm not sure what we will get, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Only a week and a half to go!

Cloral
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I guess they could have you play as Guybrush's ghost, or you could start in the netherworld. Or maybe the resurrection will happen in the opening cinematic before gameplay starts. But I think the 'pirate god' that rises in the chapter will be Guybrush.

Darth Marsden
12-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Netherworld would be my guess. Where, of course, there would be mushrooms.

Cloral
12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Well we will find out soon. Episode 5 is downloading as we speak.

Darth Marsden
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
FYI, no mushrooms. :(

Cloral
12-11-2009, 10:30 PM
So how far along are you? Have you managed to get out of the crossroads yet?

Darth Marsden
12-12-2009, 02:36 AM
I finished it the same day I got it. I'm just patiently waiting for you to get through it so I can discuss it with you.

If you're stuck though, I can gently nudge you in the right direction.

Cloral
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I finished it yesterday. There weren't any points in this episode where I got stuck. In fact, it felt like the puzzles in this one were a bit too easy. Like the diet, where most of it was just walking around and picking up the items off of the ground.

Darth Marsden
12-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Cool, cool. What did you think of it? I was a little confused by the sudden twist involving Elaine when she became... y'know, but otherwise, I thought it was pretty good.

Well, I did after I read this (http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14102), and now I just think it was genius. Amazing all the sub-text and stuff I didn't pick up.

Cloral
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
You know, now that I think about it more, this episode did have some good puzzles. The part where you were a ghost was good because it really limited the sorts of interactions you could do, forcing you to think about things a little differently. (though I thought it was odd that while he couldn't interact with most things, the floor and the walls were still perfectly solid to him) I guess really I was put off by the diet sequence because it honestly felt lazy, especially considering it was the final multi-goal sequence in the game.

I figured Elaine had to be playing along with LeChuck, considering how abrupt her reversal would've been otherwise. I mean, she literally goes from wanting to kill LeChuck to asking to marry him in about 15 seconds. Though I didn't realize until reading the article you linked that she did it specifically in order to be able to hold the cutlass. And it was interesting to see that they had been hinting at the link between LeChuck and the Voodoo Lady as far back as Monkey Island 2.

Considering how many adventure games Traveler's Tales has been putting out lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Monkey Island game from them before too long. At this point it probably comes down to Lucas Arts letting them do it. If they do, I hope they figure out some way to have some larger areas to explore. All the areas in Tales felt so small, and I'd really love to see another area like say Plunder Island.

Darth Marsden
12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
You know, one of the things I only really noticed about Part V once I'd finished it is how Guybrush seemed to mirror LeChuck's life-after-death phase. First a Ghost Pirate, then a Zombie Pirate. Shame there wasn't a Demon Pirate, but then I guess the plot wouldn't really have allowed for something like that.

I thought the fifth part was pretty well done, and I only really got stuck at one part - finding the damn dog! The camera angle really did not help at that particular section.