PDA

View Full Version : AGN Forums are Back

DarkDragon
11-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Starting at 9:50:22 on November 28th, a hacker tampered with the forum database, most notably deleting all posts and threads.

Thanks to a lot of hard work by War Lord and Shadowblazer the forums have been upgraded to version 4.0 and posts and threads restored from one of my backups. Unfortunately, the backup was several months old; War Lord has talked to his host but they do not have any automated backups. It is thus unlikely that any recent posts will ever be recovered. :(
War Lord and I will work on setting up automated backups to minimize the damage similar attacks can do in the future.

Due to both the attack and the upgrade, many forum features are likely missing, disabled, or broken. If you notice anything amiss, please post in this thread or send me a PM, and I will try to get everything back up as soon as possible.

TODO LIST:
* Fix Zeldaclassic.com
* Investigate MSU's PM issue Not a bug
* Upload old default avatars
* Investigate avatar size issues
* Investigate collapsibility of forum categories
* Investigate images not showing up in signatures
* Import missing smilies
* Investigate cookie problems
* Try to port old themes
* Reinstall star system
* Investigate edit and reply box funkiness
* Investigate reputation box funkiness
* Add missing custom BB codes
* Fix thread ordering annoyance

gdorf
11-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Lame.

Thanks for getting it back, though.

Freedom
11-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I have most of the betas if they were lost.

vegeta1215
11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work WL, SB, and DD

Nicholas Steel
11-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks, kinda annoying with regards to the bug forum for ZC though.

Fabiano the Spy
11-29-2009, 07:48 PM
That really sucks, but thanks for your hard work, it's appreciated.

This skin is starting to burn my eyes. Shall we get to work? :p

Also, our avatars look like shit at the moment.

MasterSwordUltima
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
I can't view any of my Sent PMs so that I can delete them. For some reason, it also says that I can not send my message back to War Lord because my sent inbox is too full...

Definitely looks like problems with the tables in the control panel there. That and it logged me out after 1 minute of inactivity.

Freedom
11-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Seems the quest data base is screwed too.

Nicholas Steel
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Yep, looks like it will be a week or 2 (depending on how much free time everyone has) before everything is back up and running. The old themes may need to be upgraded to work with v4.0.0 of Invision Power Board so I don't know if they'll ever return.

The_Amaster
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Eh, anything but this theme, please. Have to wonder....random hacker, or something far more sinister.....

EDIT:Annnnnnnnd...my avatar's gone. Time to reupload?

erm2003
11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Good work getting things back up and running guys - I am sure it's taking up way too much of your time. Hopefully the rest will fall in to place.

Nicholas Steel
11-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Eh, anything but this theme, please. Have to wonder....random hacker, or something far more sinister.....
Considering Freedom's posts, maybe it was him that caused it all!

DarkDragon
11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Seems the quest data base is screwed too.

I did a pass over zeldaclassic.com and fixed those errors I found. Let me know if any glitches remain.

DarkDragon
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't view any of my Sent PMs so that I can delete them. For some reason, it also says that I can not send my message back to War Lord because my sent inbox is too full...

Definitely looks like problems with the tables in the control panel there. That and it logged me out after 1 minute of inactivity.

What happens when you try to view sent PMs? Ie, does it show up as empty, or give an error?

ShadowTiger
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Congrats on getting AGN back up. :) Not to add another drop of acid to the steampipes, but is anyone else getting serious problems staying logged in? Every time I revisit AGN, I'm logged off again. Let me try clearing my cookies and logging in again with the checkmark to stay logged in checked. (Which I check every time, obviously.)

DarkDragon
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I've re-uploaded the default avatars, but vBulletin "forgot" you were using it if you had selected one as your profile picture. You'll have to go into your usercp and re-select it.

Nicholas Steel
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
This thread doesn't move to the top when new posts are added... there's always like 6 threads above it ._. when this should move to below the 2 sticky threads.

Gleeok
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Hackers are lame.

Thanks, kinda annoying with regards to the bug forum for ZC though.

It's like half of them magically fixed themselves! What's the problem! :D

edit: Ah, nevermind. format controls are working now. Thanks.

DarkDragon
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
This thread doesn't move to the top when new posts are added... there's always like 6 threads above it ._. when this should move to below the 2 sticky threads.

What do you have picked for "sort threads by" at the bottom of the forum page?

Nicholas Steel
11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Okay, I wasn't aware of that. It is fixed now that I configured it.

Pineconn
11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Ah man... Six months gone... But thanks a lot for getting the forums back up. I'll be sure to post any problems I see.

erm2003
11-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats on getting AGN back up. :) Not to add another drop of acid to the steampipes, but is anyone else getting serious problems staying logged in? Every time I revisit AGN, I'm logged off again. Let me try clearing my cookies and logging in again with the checkmark to stay logged in checked. (Which I check every time, obviously.)

I just noticed that too since I came back on tonight. It's not saving your login info even if you check the remember me box.

cbailey78
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I miss the classic black theme! I hope it comes back. It's burning my eyes too!

DarkDragon
11-30-2009, 12:21 AM
I just noticed that too since I came back on tonight. It's not saving your login info even if you check the remember me box.

Are you using Firefox? If so, if Firefox remembering *any* of your saved logins? I too am experiencing this issue, but it's also happening with gmail, etc. so I'm not sure if it's a site or browser problem.

erm2003
11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Are you using Firefox? If so, if Firefox remembering *any* of your saved logins? I too am experiencing this issue, but it's also happening with gmail, etc. so I'm not sure if it's a site or browser problem.

Yes I am using Firefox. It's hit or miss with different sites. I never used to have the problem on AGN, but now I do. There are several other sites that I visit where my information is saved correctly. I have tried the whole cookie clearing back in the day for the issue, but it still didn't fix it for the sites that didn't work. Normally Firefox will keep me logged in to those sites even if I navigate away from the site as long as I don't close the browser completely. That wasn't the case with this forum tonight. I came back without closing Firefox and I had been logged off.

erm2003
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM

I found out how to find your Sent PMs list. There is a drop down in the left links bar when viewing your inbox, but it's kinda hidden. Click on the title Private Messages there (you can see a drop arrow icon on the right part of the title) and then click on Sent Items.

Gleeok
11-30-2009, 01:02 AM

It's working fine for me. However I'm running a slightly older Firefox beta.

I did notice the "whats new" link at the top of the page tells me I don't have permission whenever I try to view it.

DarkDragon
11-30-2009, 01:40 AM
I did notice the "whats new" link at the top of the page tells me I don't have permission whenever I try to view it.

Try again; I think I just fixed that.

Gleeok
11-30-2009, 02:18 AM
Cool, looks like you got it.

I'm not having any problems with the collapsing/expanding of forums. ..edit:spoke too soon. :\

pkmnfrk
11-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Woah, crazy weekend, I guess!

The odd thing about the attack was that, like, on the index, it showed the recent posts and stuff. Just, the boards were all empty! Crazy.

I am not having a problem staying logged in, but I do note that the "<<First" and "Last>>" links in the threads (this thread, anyway) point back to the home page.

Oh, and seconded about getting a different theme... My eyes!

DarkDragon
11-30-2009, 03:13 AM
Woah, crazy weekend, I guess!

The odd thing about the attack was that, like, on the index, it showed the recent posts and stuff. Just, the boards were all empty! Crazy.

I am not having a problem staying logged in, but I do note that the "<<First" and "Last>>" links in the threads (this thread, anyway) point back to the home page.

Oh, and seconded about getting a different theme... My eyes!

Which <> links... the ones in the bottom right, that take you forward or back one page in the thread?

pkmnfrk
11-30-2009, 04:12 AM
Which <> links... the ones in the bottom right, that take you forward or back one page in the thread?

The ones that take you to the first and last pages, although it must have been a temporary glitch or something, since it's fine now.

Also, this theme is decidedly non-mobile friendly. :(

Nicholas Steel
11-30-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm using Firefox 3.6 beta 4. No problems with every other site, only AGN doesn't remember when I leave the site and come back.

edit a post, the quick edit box is placed very low. I also reported that a while back today, pkmnfrk.

Anthus
11-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Holy shit, we really got hacked? I was wondering why the site was gone completely earlier.

Nicholas Steel
11-30-2009, 09:41 AM
This button (first picture) on threads, takes you to either a random page beyond what is actually available (like page 13 in a 3 page thread) or the forum index.

The 2nd picture shows how the "quick edit" appears to me, it may be a bug in Firefox 3.6 beta 4 though and not in the stable 3.5 versions.

edit: the forum resizes attachments images, kinda gay.

Pineconn
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Has the main site content been tampered with? As in, the game reviews? Also, has premium membership been erased? I had about 4-5 months left, and it would suck if it was deleted.

EDIT: Quick edit works fine for me. Really, my only gripe is the content deletion...

Din
11-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Why do I get the feeling it might've been Glenn again?

Well, thanks for bringing it back up. Hope the forums can still be restored...

pkmnfrk
11-30-2009, 07:33 PM
The 2nd picture shows how the "quick edit" appears to me, it may be a bug in Firefox 3.6 beta 4 though and not in the stable 3.5 versions.

I'm running Firefox 3.5.5, and it looks the same.

Also, I redact my previous statements about 1. The Last>> button being fixed, and 2. Not having problems staying logged in. Both are problematic.

System Error
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
I can't see the Shattered Earth beta testing boards, even though they're pretty much dead at this point.

Nicholas Steel
12-01-2009, 02:31 AM
1) There's 4 pages yet this only shows 3 at most. (see attached pic) When logged in it shows none since my preferences are set to 40 posts per page.

2) If not logged in and you click "reply" in the bottom left after reading a thread, after you login the last posters message will be quoted.

3) This post is post #0? when making a new post the post # will be 0 until you refresh.

Freedom
12-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Considering Freedom's posts, maybe it was him that caused it all!

hmmmm...
Ya mean because I download and keep all the betas in a folder that it automatically makes me suspect to being a hacker?

okay, I'll play, I think FRANPA DONE IT since he is trying to smoke the attention off himself by accusing me.
AND because his mom dresses him funny and she wears combat boots and my dad can beat up his dad.

and I STILL HAVE most of the betas, if they were lost, in case anyone needs them.

;O)

Pineconn
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Spamming/advertising has become a noticeable problem as of late. It seems that the image verification on the registration page is failing, or real people are posting the spam.

Nicholas Steel
12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh, sorry Freedom, the new theme er, messes up what I was thinking you were saying >.>" we need the old original AGN theme back :P (the one before the mario bros theme came)

Quick edit, I just click it (on one of my posts) after entering a thread and this is what I see. The forum software is clipping the right edge, but you can see the quick edit box is placed too low right?
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/franpa/Untitled-49.png

DarkDragon
12-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Wait, that happens when you click "Edit Post," "Reply," or both?

Freedom
12-02-2009, 12:48 AM
Elise had this problem with her board a while back, she said the smilies caused it.
I didn't know that, and fixed it for myself under settings and the editor display.
mine works right here, and is set on standard
they are located all the way in the bottom and you have 3 choices
Settings>edit options> at the bottom of the page

Questwizard88
12-02-2009, 01:39 AM
I can't see the Shattered Earth beta testing boards, even though they're pretty much dead at this point.
The SE dev boards completely disappeared on my end as well. The group membership is still there, just not the boards.

we need the old original AGN theme back :P (the one before the mario bros theme came)
Me too.

On another note, clearing just the AGN cookies fixed the login for me. Didn't have to erase them all. Other than that and the edit box, I don't see too much going totally wrong at this point.

Nicholas Steel
12-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Wait, that happens when you click "Edit Post," "Reply," or both?
Only with "Edit post"

Gleeok
12-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Not sure if it's my browser or not, but thought I'd mention it anyway; The search box kinda gets clipped off the side on the top of the page.

edit: Looks like it only happens when viewing a thread.

Nicholas Steel
12-02-2009, 04:01 AM
Forums are slow :P

Pineconn
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Sweet, the stars are back. Also, the QDB CP is a little bit glitched. You can't add or edit/delete a quest:

Warning: chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in /home/armaged/public_html/zeldaclassic/admincp/addquest.php on line 6

Warning: require_once(global.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/armaged/public_html/zeldaclassic/admincp/addquest.php on line 7

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'global.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/armaged/public_html/zeldaclassic/admincp/addquest.php on line 7

DarkDragon
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Sweet, the stars are back. Also, the QDB CP is a little bit glitched. You can't add or edit/delete a quest:

Try again now.

DarkDragon
12-02-2009, 10:19 PM
UPDATE: It looks like the edit box problem (I'm also seeing it sometimes when giving reputation) is some bug buried deep in the vBulletin CSS. I'm going to give up for now and wait for them to patch it... sorry guys. :( As Freedom mentioned, you can disable floating quick reply in your User CP as a workaround.

I'm still looking into the default forum thread order, as it's truly annoying.

Pryme8
01-09-2010, 02:14 PM
did anyone claim responsibility for this fiasco yet?

Nicholas Steel
07-08-2010, 05:13 AM
I've been wondering for the longest time now, wtf was happening with the forums. I only just now stumbled upon the new forum location as the www.armageddongames.net/forum/ doesn't redirect to the new location D:

Sallyyu
12-28-2010, 04:52 AM
interesting