PDA

View Full Version : 360 games and tv question

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm finally giving in and buying a 360. What games do you recommend I try? I like fps so I'll be trying halo, rainbow six, CAD and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head. I like action and almost any other genre. RPG not so much.

About my tv. I have a 27" that's about six years old. Am I going to have any problems with the picture or reading text?

Fabiano the Spy
05-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Left 4 Dead. Resident Evil 5.

Oh, and, get Uno so you can play with me and Breaker. :)

Prrkitty
05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Bioshock... :) I really enjoyed helping Paul when he played that one. The sound affects can make it really creepy to play at night :)

Master Ghaleon
05-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Fuck Halo, Get Call of Duty WAW!!!!! and give me your name

MottZilla
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Most games are designed so that playing them on an old CRT standard def TV is not a problem. The only real problem game I remember was Dead Rising. The text was tiny and very hard to see if you were using Composite Video.

Ofcourse for the best picture and experience you should use a PC monitor or a HDTV to use the higher resolutions.

Cloral
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM
I played my 360 on a CRT for the first few years. Never had any problems, but some of the games didn't look nearly as good as they should've. I actually shelved Lost Odyssey until I got a better tv, as the game looks so much better in HD. The only issue you'll run into is some games use fonts that can be a bit hard to make out in SD - Lost Odyssey was one of those games. But pretty much any non-RPG is going to be fine.

One thing you can do is look up the gamercards of people you know and see what games they've been playing (you can see mine by clicking the image in my signature). Chances are if they've got a gamerscore over 100 in the game, they played it for a good while and it is worth picking up. Oh and make sure you pick up Megaman 9 off of Xbox Live Arcade, unless you already got it on the Wii.

ShyGuy0824
05-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Big - also worth mentioning - I know you said you're not a huge fan of RPGs, but one you may want to checkout is Fallout 3 (a shooter RPG) - Otherwise, I second Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3...

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey Big - also worth mentioning - I know you said you're not a huge fan of RPGs, but one you may want to checkout is Fallout 3 (a shooter RPG) - Otherwise, I second Resident Evil 5 and Halo 3...

Fallout is an RPG? I never knew that...actually I didn't know what genre it was to begin with.:laughing:

I'm getting a 40"+ tv in a few months so I just have to hold out until then.

rock_nog
05-20-2009, 07:42 PM
I've on-and-off toyed with the concept of getting a 360, but I keep coming back to the fact that if I just spend a little more I can get a decent PC rig, and most of the games I'm interested in on the 360 are available on PC, as well. And if I can get a machine that can run them, well PC wins hands down, thanks to things like modding and whatnot.

Cloral
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Fallout is an RPG? I never knew that...actually I didn't know what genre it was to begin with.:laughing:

It's essentially Elder Scrolls in a futuristic setting. There are many differences, but that's the basic idea.

Archibaldo
05-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah Left 4 Dead is a must, and definitely one of the CoDs and Halo 3. I mainly use my Xbox for Rockband and Guitar Hero.

ShadowTiger
05-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I too highly recommend Fallout 3. If you can play it on the PC though at at least fair graphical and speed settings, that is preferable. If you can't, though, do make Fallout 3 a high priority. As much as I hate to say it, it really was Oblivion with Guns. That is not a bad thing however. Pretty damn awesome game.

I also do recommend Bioshock. It works perfectly for the 360 environment.

Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band 2, absolutely.

Matteo
05-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah I used to have a 27 inch CRT and had trouble with reading certain games (Fable II, Dead Rising)... it all depends on how close you sit to the TV I guess.

Also, get The Orange Box if you like FPS, that and Call of Duty 4

Nicholas Steel
05-21-2009, 08:28 AM
biggy, you will probably need component (or better) video cables for your Xbox360 to look good on your new TV. Plasmas look ok with composite but tiny text will be blocky and LCDs will look horrible with composite. Component A/V (or better) allows for better display modes (resolutions) as well.

biggiy05
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
biggy, you will probably need component (or better) video cables for your Xbox360 to look good on your new TV. Plasmas look ok with composite but tiny text will be blocky and LCDs will look horrible with composite. Component A/V (or better) allows for better display modes (resolutions) as well.

I plan on using the HDMI cable for the new tv.

I may just end up saving my money and buying the 360 the same day I get the tv. We'll see how long that lasts considering spring quarter is almost over and I'll have more free time when I'm not working.

Cloral
05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Also, get The Orange Box if you like FPS, that and Call of Duty 4

I'd have to recommend the Orange Box on PC. For one thing, you'll miss out on all the Team Fortress updates if you play on the 360.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tv resolution. I played my 360 on a CRT for over 2 years with no problem. HD is better, but SD works fine.

biggiy05
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I'd have to recommend the Orange Box on PC. For one thing, you'll miss out on all the Team Fortress updates if you play on the 360.

I need to build a new PC as my current one can't handle HL2 or any other games.