PDA

View Full Version : Another AGN Convention after all these years?

Zaphod Q. IX
05-20-2009, 02:25 AM
A long time ago, in what seems like a different world...nay a different life, my ex wife and I threw the first two AGN conventions. I was not involved in the third one. It must have been cool, though...Goki came from Australia to attend! I doubt anyone will ever beat that mileage. ;)

It was suggested in #AGN this evening that another should happen, and that I should organize it. I'm considering the idea.

This thread is for determining how many people would realistically be willing and able to attend.

The location for this shindig would be a campground within fifty miles of Cincinnati, and it would be held over Labor Day weekend 2009. I cannot be more specific as to location yet, as I am researching the amenities available, like CABINS! (I'm not sleeping on the ground) and WI-FI (I'm not joking).

And the proximity to things like airports and freeways...and Starbucks. We're not savages, and we're not going to live like them over a holiday weekend. I also want to give the chat room updates from somebody's psp or ds or iWhatever, so the wi-fi is a must. :s

Speaking of airports, they are numerous in Ohio...This site (http://www.airtimetable.com/IATA_airport_codes.asp) allows you to search for airports by state, and I see that there are ten large airports in Ohio. If you are willing to fly puddle jumpers there are hundreds more. Get creative. There are also a plethora of bus companies that run all over our great nation. And trains...don't forget the trains... ;)

This thread is not:

For discussion of the area of the country in which the convention should be held. I live in Ohio, and I'm willing to take on the job.
For discussion of rather or not a convention should be held at a campground or a hotel...I'm doing this thing, and I like campgrounds.
A place for people to pop up and say "I say we have a second convention in Las Vegas for the people who can't make it to Ohio."

A place for discussing a second convention. Start your own thread if you want to have a second con, and I'll help you organize it. It complicates planning when discussion of a second con is in the thread about the first one.

For anything else that distracts from the task at hand, which is monumental. I've organized one of these in the past, and if I do it again, I want to make sure that enough people will actually show up to make it worth my while. It's an awful lot of work...and stress.

Here is what I need from you.

A simple answer to this question:

Would you be willing and able to attend an AGN convention near Cincinnati over Labor Day weekend 2009?

DarkDragon
05-20-2009, 02:29 AM
Yes. But no earlier - I'm out of the country June and most of July.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out... I grew up in Louisville but don't really know the Cincinnatti area.

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm game IF I can get someone to cover my shifts at work. If the ball starts rolling on this and it will happen then I'll do what I can to be there. I wanna throw that guy named Glitch into the lake. I heard he's a real ass.

Beldaran
05-20-2009, 03:10 AM
No, I'm not really into "hanging out" very much, and I really hate traveling.

Dechipher
05-20-2009, 03:10 AM
This is September 5-7? Tentatively yes. I have to wait until school starts and see what I might have to do, but I think that weeked should be free.

I would love to go (plus I'll be 21, so....)
I'll be coming from OKC, so maybe me and CAD could carpool? Beldaran would be coming from TX...
Never mind. Beldaran would not go

Fabiano the Spy
05-20-2009, 03:21 AM
As I said in the channel, I'm all for it. Count me in.

Lilith
05-20-2009, 04:07 AM
---

Breaker
05-20-2009, 04:56 AM
If I successfully enlist, no, I won't be able to attend. If for some reason my enslistment gets put off or on hold, then I'll definitely make it for this one.

moocow
05-20-2009, 05:05 AM
I'd really like to (seeing has how that's what, 2 hours from me?) but I can't really say. My wedding is just a couple weeks after that and I'll likely have no money.

erm2003
05-20-2009, 05:33 AM
I'm interested, but the timing may be a bit too close to when school starts back up around here. I guess it depends on how many days we have a cabin for. I might be able to at least do the first day or two.

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 10:43 AM
I'd really like to (seeing has how that's what, 2 hours from me?) but I can't really say. My wedding is just a couple weeks after that and I'll likely have no money.

What if I make Glitch ride in the bed of my truck like the Mexicans do around here and you can ride shotgun?

Glitch
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
I'll go depending on who goes.

Oh and if we go Andrew, I'll be driving us in my new car :)

Masamune
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm down once I get myself situated in college. I have every intention of going, but we'll see.

Amber
05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I'd like to but unfortunately I can't. My job'll never let me have labor day weekend off. Plus, I'm no fun.

Rammstein
05-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Total Estimated Time: 8 hours 1 minute
Total Estimated Distance: 430.52 miles

Yup, count me in

Oh ...and Starbucks well... I need a DQ :(

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll go depending on who goes.

Oh and if we go Andrew, I'll be driving us in my new car :)

What's the new car? I'm thinking about trading in the truck for an Escape or a Jeep Liberty.

Master Ghaleon
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I would love to come! I will drive.

Three things that will damper my chance of coming.

1. Need to know how much it will cost, and then I can price gas coming and going.

2. Need to know about 4-5 weeks before convention date that this thing is still going to happen. So I can use my week off.

3. If for some reason I NEED to work labor day weekend(Since I am part owner) I wouldn't be able to show. Gotta keep the place running ya know.

So I would say that I am 75 percent sure that I can come.

Breaker
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
If I can come, I'll try to convince Mercy and/or Cronic to go. We could make a roadtrip out of it.

Link 101
05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
If I didn't have the police academy kicking my ass at that time, I'd totally go. I wanted to go to the others, but I was too young before. If I have the time and cash, I might go.

MasterSwordUltima
05-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm gonna try to go. If anything, I'd most likely be going with Masamune somehow.
Before I can find out for sure, definitely going to need to know what campground.

Fabiano the Spy
05-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm gonna try to go. If anything, I'd most likely be going with Masamune somehow.
Before I can find out for sure, definitely going to need to know what campground.
Hey! Masa already told me he'd bunk with me ;_;

Masamune
05-20-2009, 11:38 PM

I'll be in Huntingdon, PA (A little east of Pittsburgh) during the convention. If you were to drive and get me along the way, I'd be more than willing to split travel costs with you.

And I can bunk with everyone :O

Fabiano the Spy
05-20-2009, 11:41 PM
And I can bunk with everyone :O
You just broke my heart. You whore.

:p

I already talked to my "boss" about it at work, and it's just a matter of confirmation to get those days off.

Brasel
05-21-2009, 12:20 AM
I need some info on costs and things. I can definitely make it, its just a matter of money and the wife. Could I bring her? I'll probably make Trev come with me too.

Breaker
05-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Could I bring her?

only if you share

King Aquamentus
05-21-2009, 02:15 AM
I already got road trips planned. :P

moocow
05-21-2009, 05:39 AM
I'll see what I can do after there's a final cost on it. If Glitch and biggiy go, I can just ride with them. I reaaaaaaaally wanna go.

I know my family used to do stuff on Labor Day weekend, but they didn't do anything last year so they probably won't this year. Just as long as my maid of honor doesn't do my bachelorette party that weekend, and as long as I can afford it, I'll come.

Fabiano the Spy
05-21-2009, 05:59 AM
I'm really stoked about this, and I hope it works out.

I appreciate you taking all of this on, Zaphod. If you need any help with ANY of it, let me know, I'll do my best to help out.

I've wanted to attend an AG convention for years. The thing is, I was never around when you guys had them, and if you did, I was too young, so this would be really kickass.

goKi
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Goki came from Australia to attend! I doubt anyone will ever beat that mileage. ;)

I think we worked out that it's nearly impossible to beat that mileage from anywhere in the world.

Nope, no convention for me next year.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
No can do. Have to sell lots of furniture that weekend.

Glitch
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
What's the new car? I'm thinking about trading in the truck for an Escape or a Jeep Liberty.

08 Mazda 6

Plus, I'm no fun.

qft.

Dechipher
05-21-2009, 03:42 PM
No can do. Have to sell lots of furniture that weekend.

Listen. This ain't no game.

Master Ghaleon
05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Well I know for sure that I will not be able to come. My sister's Wedding is the 6th. I was thinking her wedding was the 6th of August for some reason.

Breaker
05-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Nothing is set in stone yet guys. If the date is what's preventing you from coming than post and let us know. Zaphod is going to try to make the conditions acceptable for everyone.

Glenn the Great
05-24-2009, 01:46 AM
A long time ago, in what seems like a different world...nay a different life...

I imagine the loss of a nut would make a man feel that way.

These conventions always crack me up, especially the first one.
Everyone who would likely be in attendance this year is grown up, but I still want to say it astounds me how, during the first one, so many parents allowed their underage children to go off to a rustic getaway hosted by someone whose hobbies include illegal drugs, dick piercings and exhibitionism.