PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew on Wii - new method

gdorf
05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
So I finally got around to adding the Homebrew channel to my Wii. I used the new "Bannerbomb" method which took me less than five minutes. Its nice because I didn't have to use Twilight Princess at all.

This method is supposed to work for any version of the System Menu, I was fully upgraded to 4.0.

Link: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup#Bannerbomb

So now does anyone have any homebrew app recommendations for me?

Russ
05-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Sweet, now I might actually upgrade to Menu 4.0.

As for Homebrew, I've heard Quake Wii is good, but I've never tried it.

MottZilla
05-18-2009, 08:23 PM
There's one that lets you play ISOs off SD card or USB harddrive I believe. I'm sure there are some emulators too.

gdorf
05-19-2009, 02:37 AM
I installed the homebrew browser. It let me install SNES and NES emulators. Then I installed quake and wolfenstein 3d.

Not bad. :)

Breaker
05-19-2009, 10:57 AM
There's one that lets you play ISOs off SD card or USB harddrive I believe. I'm sure there are some emulators too.

Do you know the name of it?

ctrl-alt-delete
05-19-2009, 11:31 AM
So I finally got around to adding the Homebrew channel to my Wii. I used the new "Bannerbomb" method which took me less than five minutes. Its nice because I didn't have to use Twilight Princess at all.

This method is supposed to work for any version of the System Menu, I was fully upgraded to 4.0.

Link: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup#Bannerbomb

So now does anyone have any homebrew app recommendations for me?

Depends on if you're a pirate or not. ;)

Definitely get the Homebrew Browser...it allows you to install the applications directly from the Wii.

Geexbox is a personal favorite, as I haven't been able to throw any media at it that it couldn't handle. It also reads from NTFS, which saves me another partition.

WAD Manager is always good, if you want to install Wiiware and VC games without paying for them. :-p

I have the USB Loader and every ISO released in the US and Europe, and some JAP ones like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

My Wii > Your Wii.

Oh, and one more thing. Bootmii is an absolute must, even in beta form. Makes your Wii 99% brickproof, and you can do NAND backups and such...

Edit: This is why I recommend Bootmii...

I love this software... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZPl-ZtSaU)

gdorf
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good USB Loader?

Edit: I've installed Bootmii and created a backup of my NAND. My Wii isn't brand new so I was able to use the Boot2 method so I feel pretty safe messing around with the Wii now.

I am currently installing a SD/USB Loader and I've partitioned an external hard drive to use with the Wii.

Nicholas Steel
05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
1) HackMii sadly doesn't install for me, it just restarts the console. (noted on bannerbmbs website)
2) LoadMii works, I assume I can use that to launch what ever homebrew application I want?

So far, installation of the Homebrew Channel hasn't succeeded yet, some ticket error pops up during the process, I have just another idea on how to get it installed. Yea can't install HBC even through LoadMii, stupid system v4.0 and new Wii's >.>

EDIT: YEAH!!! I am running Snes9x GX with LoadMii :D

MottZilla
05-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Do you know the name of it?

It's called Waninkoko's Wii USB loader as far as I know.

ctrl-alt-delete
05-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good USB Loader?

Edit: I've installed Bootmii and created a backup of my NAND. My Wii isn't brand new so I was able to use the Boot2 method so I feel pretty safe messing around with the Wii now.

I am currently installing a SD/USB Loader and I've partitioned an external hard drive to use with the Wii.

My personal favorite is this one.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922

Darth Marsden
05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I've used a few homebrew apps over the past couple of months. The radio station's nice, even if I have yet to find a way to get the VGMix Station on there (the only 75%+ reliable radio station I've yet found). TBH, I've been more engaged in Rom Injections, but that's naughty, so I won't mention it any further.

And no matter how good a port, Quake's not the same without a keyboard and mouse.

Nicholas Steel
05-22-2009, 12:23 AM
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_status#Newer_Wiis

I suffer from that and am using the LoadMii workaround. A fix for the installer is in the works though :)

gdorf
05-22-2009, 09:51 AM
It's called Waninkoko's Wii USB loader as far as I know.

That is what I used. It was a pain in the ass getting everything setup because I had already used the Nintendo Upgrader to upgrade to 4.0. I found a workaround and was eventually able to downgrade and install USB Loader.

So now I have Bootmii (for emergencies), USB Loader with an external hard drive, homebrew channel with a few emulators (and quake/wolfenstein), and quite a few assorted VC games -- all this with System Menu 4.0 installed.

I might actually use my Wii occasionally now. :)

The only problem I am experiencing is that I can't rip my currently owned games to the hard drive using USB Loader. It starts to rip them and then freezes at some point in the process. Downloaded games work great, though.

Also I need a classic controller for some of the N64 VC games. Apparently you can't use the wiimote?

Nicholas Steel
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
turn off wiiconnect24 and see if it still freezes during that task.

Darth Marsden
05-22-2009, 10:44 AM
You don't need a Classic Controller if you have an old Gamecube one. I use that for N64 and SNES VC titles and it works brilliantly.

gdorf
05-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Really? Thanks! I bought some game cube controllers which I've had them plugged in. I still saw a message come up saying "Please plug in the classic controller" so I assumed the GC controllers wouldn't work.

I actually don't see why a Wiimote + Nunchuck isn't enough for the N64 games.

N64 Wii
Analog stick Nunchuck Analog
C buttons D pad
A, B A, B
Z Trigger 1 on Nunchuck
Any extras +, -, 1, 2

I guess it doesn't account for the D-pad on the N64 controller, but I don't remember EVER using that..

MottZilla
05-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Because N64 games can use L and R and the Dpad for various things you know. The Wiimote + Nunchuck isn't suitable for many N64 games. If you just go play a handful of N64 games you'll see how many of them don't really fit well on anything other than a real N64 controller.

gdorf
05-23-2009, 04:00 AM
I've played many N64 games and I have almost never used the dpad. :shrug:

And L and R could be mapped to + and - or even 1 and 2.

Three games I am interested in playing are Mario, Starfox, and Mariokart. All of those games could be played with a remapped wiimote.

Darth Marsden
05-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Really? Thanks! I bought some game cube controllers which I've had them plugged in. I still saw a message come up saying "Please plug in the classic controller" so I assumed the GC controllers wouldn't work. No, they do. That message is just Ninty's way of trying to get you to spend even more money.

Theoretically you could ply N64 games with the Wiimote and Nunchuck, but it'd probably be pretty uncomfortable. And what about SNES games? How would you play those?