PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of a wasp nest.

ShadowTiger
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I've been reading up on different ways to dispose of a wasp next, (No, not the White Anglo-Saxon Protestant variety.) and found a few interesting creative solutions. Some of them I've already tried with some modicum of success.

I should mention right away that several times in my life, I had used a variety of anti-wasp sprays (Raid, etc.) on the wasp directly, spraying the actual wasp with the foam from a long distance. The wasp completely ignore the effect, and went about its luxurious and flighty business. Naturally, I was a bit deterred to see how most of a can of Raid couldn't down a single wasp when it was designed to.

I suppose it was more of a "long term" effect. I didn't have a nest to spray. I had a wasp which was frightening people away. I had to act.

So I got creative. I got a can of spray adhesive, and went back outside. I sprayed the wasp from an uncomfortably close distance, and it dropped, right then and there. One of its wings was stuck to its body, and so were two of its legs. I gave it another little spray, and it was stuck to the ground.

Pretty freaking awesome. Much better than what Raid had done.

My next goal is to find a wasp nest and spray it full of the adhesive at night. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, any available wasps will not be able to leave the next, and will in fact create a permanent "Three Stooges" type effect (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.01/start.html?pg=9) all over the wasp next.

Once the wasps are incapacitated, literally stuck within their own home, it is time to unfurl the next phase of the plan. Go inside and boil some water, and pour it into a bucket. A gallon will suffice quite readily. Go back outside during the night and ensure there are no wasps in the vicinity. Place the bucket beneath the wasps nest, and give the nest a good poke. If your poking arm is valiant and your aim is true, the nest should fall into the bucket of boiling water, and eradicate the wasps right then and there.

If you have any boric acid on hand, it's not too bad to use either. It absorbs the moisture from the carapaces of the insects, slowly killing them from the outside, and sometimes even the inside if they can swallow it.

Also, if you want to make a pretty effective wasp trap, Follow these simple steps (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap). I've had to make quite a few of them for a holiday around September / October for when people are eating outside, or around barbecues, and they work quite well, depending on the bait you use. They also have yellowjacket attractant you can apply into the mix. They'll be swarming. ;)

Remember, the yellowjackets don't really release their "OMFG HELP I'M IN TROUBLE!!!" chemicals into the air if they're not dead yet. They barely even know they're trapped if they have good food on the bottom of their trap, so keep that in mind.

You can drop in some laundry detergent into the trap to kill them when you want to empty out the trap, which you will want to do eventually, maybe four to six times a month, if not more.

Anthus
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
So you glue them together, and boil them? Doesn't that seem a bit cruel? You know, I once took a can of Axe (or maybe it was Old Spice) and a lighter and used a makeshift flamethrower to destroy a nest once. It kind of worked but the gust from the relatively small flame (about 12" from the can) just kinda blew them around. A few of them were engulfed in flames, and died. At any rate, it effectively destroyed their nest.

Lilith
05-18-2009, 02:25 PM
---

biggiy05
05-18-2009, 03:54 PM
1) get a rake
2) RUN

Pitch fork is much more fun.

Option three would be hair spray and a lighter. Spray the nest then spray the nest while the lighter is ignited. Drop said can and run for cover.

AtmaWeapon
05-18-2009, 07:33 PM
My dad used to bring home this stuff from work named "Zep" and I have never seen anything so fantastic at killing insects. He hit a wasp mid-flight and it dropped to the ground immediately. Supposedly it gets really cold when it hits air and freezes the bug or something.

Here's a case of 12 (http://www.vendorsequipment.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?product=Zep+Wasp+and+Hornet+Killer) at a site that sells vending machine stuff (I don't know either.) That's probably enough to kill a county's worth of wasps.

Also comedy "use your face" option.

Aegix Drakan
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Raid has usually worked for us. But the adhesive....that's absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Honestly, I can't STAND those flighty little assholes. I've had a phobia of them since I was five. >_< Whenever something buzzes past, me, wasp or not, I freak out without being able to control it. So when they set up a HUUUGE nest outside my grandma's (on my dad's side) driveway........UUUUUGHH that was so hard for me to go by. They smell fear, ya know.

Now, My grandpa on my mom's side....wow, he has no fear of these things. Apparently, when they set up a nest near our outside dinner talbe and It was freaking me out, the next day, he just walked up to it in the middle of the day, sprayed the nest, and bonked it down with a mop. No injuries whatsoever.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. They might just come in handy. Although if they set up a nest near MY house... Gonna get me an airtight suit, and burn that (expletive deleted) to the last bugger. Or just ask my dad to do it.

Rammstein
05-19-2009, 01:37 AM
God i have wasp so much, hate then! They always run after you when you do somethifg wrong or annoy hem

I almost disturbed obe huge nest last summer i got really scared

Burning them works good I find, if you look on yourtube you can find some pretty nasty ones

Wasp scares me to death

Skulkraken
05-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Buzz. :p

http://bugman123.com/Bugs/TarantulaHawk-large.jpg

Then there's the Yak-Killer Hornet.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Vespa_mandarinia.jpg/718px-Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

:D

...In truth, I actually freak out, too, when I run into a wasp or other stinging bug flying around me.

Breaker
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I'd be running if I saw one of those killer hornets.

Rijuhn
05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
DEAR GOD! I'm going to have nightmares!

http://www.bugman123.com/Bugs/Bugs.html

It seems that the link from the photo that you posted, Skulkraken, calls that wasp the Tarantula Hawk Wasp.

Master Ghaleon
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I used to have big nests underneath my deck. I would just spray raid on it and then in the night go out with a broom and knock it down and smash it

jerome
05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Another good name for that would be the "Oops I crapped my pants" hornet.

Rubbing alcohol also works pretty well as a make shift flame thrower for bugs. I've used it on yellow jackets and wasps. Once at a friend of mine's place of business, there were a ton of gnats and other small annoyances flying around at night because of all of the lights. A friend of mine grabbed the rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and just roasted hundreds of those bugs. He did it several times. Bad thing, you could hardly tell from there being so many. But those weren't stingy types.

Fabiano the Spy
05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Vespa_mandarinia.jpg/718px-Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

Oh, god damn you. That freaks the hell out of me.

Cloral
05-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Well great. Now I know from Wikipedia that those things exist in California.

Breaker
05-19-2009, 07:01 PM
time to move.

Aegix Drakan
05-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Another good name for that would be the "Oops I crapped my pants" hornet.

I second that.

If I saw one of those....Well, there wouldn't be much to sting, because I'd have already had a heart attack and DIED.

ShadowTiger
05-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Those are Africanized Hornets you're describing. Those things will chase you for over ten miles. Damn angry bees, them. The ones described so far in this thread aren't that angry. They're pretty docile. They'll only attack you if you provoke them.

Lilith
05-20-2009, 12:11 AM
---

biggiy05
05-20-2009, 01:15 AM
I fucking hate wasps and hornets. If I see one in my house or around me when I'm outside I kill it on sight. Things freak me out.

Rijuhn
05-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Just about every other day when I open our back door to go outside between spring and fall there will be a wasp or two "all up in my grill". Essentially saying, "Want a piece of me, huh? What now?!"

We occasionally find a nest and destroy it, but they come back like clockwork, so we tend to just try and avoid them.

I just hate the fact that they love to get in your face and fly around your ears before flying off....then as you start to walk away safely they come back and look at you one more time like they're saying "I thought so, PUNK!"

I'm going to see if there is anger management for wasp. :tongue:

jerome
05-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Just put them in their place... A dead place. That usually gets that one not to bother you again.

Shazza Dani
05-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Wasps are awesome. You all suck. *huggles a wasp*

Archangel
05-21-2009, 01:50 AM
Air Compressor. You have no idea...

Wasps are awesome. You all suck. *huggles a wasp*

Indeed, they're the same as humming birds. They're required for the correct pollination of certain flowers. And the carnivorous ones eat certain spiders.

Nicholas Steel
05-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Anyway, thanks for the tips. They might just come in handy. Although if they set up a nest near MY house... Gonna get me an airtight suit, and burn that (expletive deleted) to the last bugger. Or just ask my dad to do it.Just don't forget an oxygen tank for that suit of yours... unless you like to take part in the Darwin Awards.

jerome
05-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Just don't forget an oxygen tank for that suit of yours... unless you like to take part in the Darwin Awards.

Well, if we don't hear anything from Aegix Drakan, we know he forgot something.

To log on! Geesh, what were you thinking?

Anyone ever notice that if someone has never actually been stung by a wasp/bee/hornet/etc, then those people almost always say they are "highly allergic"? I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever picked up on that. I know I've been stung by both, and didn't like either one. It was uncomfortable for a while, and it was over. Or maybe it's just that they had been stung, and just REALLY coudln't handle it, so instead of saying they are afraid of them, allergic to them sounds more grown up.

BTW- Hornets don't like the rubbing-alcohol-in-a-spray-bottle-flame-thrower. If they catch on fire, they die... of course. If they don't, they come right back at you. If that happens, have an escape route in mind before hand.