PDA

View Full Version : The Sims 3 - June 2009

ShadowTiger
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM
So The Sims 3 (http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/about.jsp) is coming out pretty soon. Check out their videos page. I love the Star Trek video. Pretty creative.

It may come out June 2nd.

Beldaran
05-15-2009, 03:27 PM
I like the subject of your post.

ShadowTiger
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Thank you. I like it too.

I am looking forward to the changes though, really. The biggest two changes I want to see in the game, are the removal of the "Grid"-based item placement, and the scripted model movement that must be done between movements. Suppose you want to cancel someone getting on a treadmill, right when he gets on, .. you have to wait for him to use the treadmill a little bit before he gets off. What's the point of that? Just stop mid-animation and get the hell off, man. I own you.

Nicholas Steel
05-16-2009, 09:57 AM
I prefer grid systems when it comes to item placements in all games and and moving infantry/units in puzzle oriented games.

most games that allow you to place things anywhere have fucked up waypoint systems that don't work well with it or prevent you moving/placing things within a CM radius of terrain objects.

ShadowTiger
05-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, the Sims doesn't have that sort of thing. It doesn't even use the same grid as items for the Sims' movement.

The way I see it is, if you have a smoke alarm on the ceiling above a table, why can't you put a wall phone right underneath it? Or why can't you rest two vases next to each other? If you have a folding card table, why can it only hold two objects? I have friends that hold half of their possessions on said card table.

Nicholas Steel
05-17-2009, 12:56 AM
they should make the grid match the dimensions of the object being placed/moved. different grids for different size items, that way you CAN (or should) be able to have multiple objects on a table and stuff.

ShadowTiger
05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Seriously, if The Sims 3 Can really do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNjYR3Colss), I will be all over it like myself on the Sims 3. Oh boy!

My friends torrented the leaked version, and this is what I heard:

You can turn Sim Aging on and off. Huge Plus. :thumbsup:
You can place furniture against diagonals now! Yay!
Huuuuge world. No loading. Huge city to explore. Click anywhere on the map, and your Sim leaves the house, takes a taxi, and steps right out into it.
Tons of Sims to interact with. They're all out there, ready and waiting.
The Game is HUGE. (Not just size-wise. 5+ Gigs anyway, but .. yeah.)
Apparently, from what I've heard, my complaint #2 above, where you can't cancel actions, has been resolved. Cancel and action, and they just stop. Right then and there. So epic. We'll see how well they really do with it.
No word on complaint #1 though. I'm really hoping though. It probably won't happen anyway, but I'm sure we'll see soon. June second, here we come.

SpykStorm
05-20-2009, 10:33 PM
From what I've heard, it still technically uses a grid. Its cells are just a lot smaller.

ShadowTiger
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
That is elaborated on Here (http://www.snootysims.com/thesims3index.php?id=info). There is an option to get rid of the grid.

# You can position stuff on counters as long as the objects aren't overlapping.
# Gridsize is 4 times smaller. Can also choose no grid at all.

SpykStorm
05-23-2009, 11:39 AM
You can buy the buisness you work for and fire and fire all the employees? :evil:

The system requirements aren't quite ad high as I expected them to be. :)

ShadowTiger
05-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Actually yes, apparently, you can do that. I haven't gotten nearly that far yet; I created a Japanese Yakuza Wanna-be kinda character. He's in his small hovel, working up logic via chess and books, and working out. He's a daytime

One thing about the game that I absolutely can't stand though, is the horrible flow of time. It goes WAAAY too fast. My Sim woke up at 6:30 to get to his 10:00 AM Job. It took him half an hour to get out of bed and yawn and walk over to the fridge. Took him a full hour to burn waffles and throw them away, and another half an hour to take out a pre-made bowl of cereal from the fridge (?!?) and walk into the living room and sit on the couch and eat it. He only just made it outside when his carpool arrived. He didn't even have time to go to the bathroom.

I mean geez, WTF. There isn't even a cheat code to slow the flow of time. :-z It goes like, a minute every two seconds. The fastest mode of time flow isn't even fast enough. It progresses time about five minutes every two seconds. Not fast enough for when nothing is happening. You have to watch your Sim sleep, and just watch for Burglars zipping through your house before you even have time to wake him up.