PDA

View Full Version : [1000] Speeding String Problem

TriMaster001
05-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Here's the problem, normally when you do not press "A" to scroll through text you will end up getting the full text box as seen here:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/TriMaster001/zelda003-4.gif

However, since this is the custom string editor and this text box uses more characters. Pressing "A" to scroll results in this:

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/TriMaster001/?action=view&current=ZCGlitch.flv

The text box disappears without completing the full text box.

Dark Nation
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
The ZC engine is very sensitive. It's upset at your impatience. If you don't think you should spend time reading the text, it won't spend time putting it all on the screen. :p

jman2050
05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I should probably explain how everything works here.

The increased space in the string menu is to accommodate string codes. Each individual string can STILL only be a maximum of 72 characters. The engine will stop at 72 characters every time except in one instance. Do you see the option in the string menu "Continue from last string" or something to that effect? This means that the contents of this string will be appended to the string that points to it (via the Next String box) and it will all be treated as one piece of dialogue. So let's say string 1 says "This is a " and String 2 says "string." String 1 points to string 2 in the next string box. The normal behavior is that the game will display "This is a ", followed by the cursor. After pressing A it will display the second string "string." However, if string 2 has that flag I mentioned earlier checked, the game will display "This is a string." all in one text box. This is how you set up long messages. The method is kind of obtuse, but keep in mind that we have to keep things BC with the way the strings used to be. Any other setup would've taken a lot longer, though if I find it's too much trouble for some people, I can modify it further.

Also I had planned to add a status counter to the string menu that will tell you if the final number of characters in a formatted string exceeds the maximum. Unfortunately, this hadn't been done before the next build was out, so I hope to address it in the future.

TriMaster001
05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay I tried that method that you told me, bot this bug still won't go away. However, I do notice that if you do not press A to scroll through text, this glitch does not happen.

Christian
05-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Are the new strings simliar to how Z3 used them?

For example, when the cursor appears and you hit "A" it will play the continuation sfx.

I'm really confused on how the new string editor works.

Other than that great job developers.