PDA

View Full Version : Good Snes Titles?

Archangel
05-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Well, I finally managed to get around to fixing my SNES around one in the morning, I was play Megaman X2 and loving life. Anyways I'm gonna go to some shops and buy a bunch of used games. Any good titles I should check out? Here's what I'm getting.

Earthworm Jim 2. :) Played the original and love it, but my brother's friend stole Number 2 from us. I didn't get a single chance to play it. It was the day after I got it too. :(
Earthbound
E.V.O :) Omg, I can't wait...
Megaman X3, Heard it was pretty good. Never played it, but played and beat the others.
Zelda 3 <-My won't work... :(
Warlock <-I love this game! :D
Yoshi's Cookie

Joe123
05-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Chrono Trigger and Terranigma, definately.

Aliem
05-03-2009, 06:30 AM
If you can find a copy of Super Mario RPG, grab it. Final Fantasy II and III might be worth a purchase if you can find them. Chrono Trigger's pretty much a requirement. If you have a working SNES, you pretty much have to have this game. Super Mario World, because it's Super Mario World.

Archangel
05-03-2009, 06:30 AM
I've got Chrono Trigger somewhere around my closet, but not Terranigma.
I'm so getting it. I love that series, I rented it once but never finished it... :(

ShadowTiger
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Soul Blazer is the spiritual predecessor of Terranigma. Illusion of Gaia is in there too, somewhere, but I didn't really like it as much as the other two. Do make Terranigma your #1 Priority though. To be perfectly frank, in a battle between Chrono Trigger and Terranigma, it'd be Terranigma. That game spoke to me...

punkonjunk1024
05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Damn, it's all been said...

Except plok. Go get that, it rocks.
EVO is amazing. I just finished that again on my PSP.

Joe123
05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Soul Blazer is the spiritual predecessor of Terranigma. Illusion of Gaia is in there too, somewhere, but I didn't really like it as much as the other two. Do make Terranigma your #1 Priority though. To be perfectly frank, in a battle between Chrono Trigger and Terranigma, it'd be Terranigma. That game spoke to me...

I think I'd say Terranigma over Chrono Trigger personally too.
What's Soul Blazer like?
I've been playing Illusion of Gaia recently and while it's not bad, it's not nearly as good as Terranigma.

Matteo
05-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Uniracers, Super Punchout, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons

Beldaran
05-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Damn, it's all been said...

No it has not.

The Secret of Mana.

punkonjunk1024
05-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Dude...

Fuck that game.

I finally played through it with a guy I was friends with like a year ago.

All this hype, right? Gotta be good.

That game is the most overrated game I've ever played. I simply don't understand why people like it so much. The final boss was HYSTERICALLY BAD. Oh god I don't want to kill a flamie! Waaaah!

No but seriously, that reminds me of another good one - the translated sequel or whatever, prepare for butchering, sieken detsu 3 or something. Except... that wouldn't be of much use if you're actually using an SNES.
Great game though.

Russ
05-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's what I recommend.

EarthBound - Best SNES RPG
Zelda 3 - Best 2D Zelda ever
Super Mario World - Best 2D Mario ever
Yoshi's Island - One of the best Mario games out there
Super Metroid - Not the best Metroid game by any means, but it's fun
Kirby Superstar - It's seven games in one! But get the DS remake if you have a DS. :)
Donkey Kong Country - It's fun.

MottZilla
05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
ArchAngel, try cleaning your Zelda 3 cartridge. This will most likely fix your problem. One easy way to clean the cartridge is to open it (3.8mm security bit i think) and use a pencil eraser to rub the dirt off the copper cartridge edge that goes into the cartridge slot. After you remove the dirt and dust built up from the contacts by sure to wipe off any eraser bits. Put it back together and try it out. This method fixed all my games that did not want to work.

As for a list a good SNES games, I don't know where to begin. The SNES has a superb library of games. However I will warn you that alot of great titles are japanese import titles like Der Langrisser (strategy rpg), SD Gundam X (strategy), Rockman & Forte (megaman), Sutte Hakkun (puzzle), Seiken Densetsu 3 (rpg).

But there are a ton of great SNES US titles I can think of.

Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island
Star Fox
Rock n' Roll Racing
MechWarrior
Blackthorne
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X 1 - 3
Mortal Kombat II
Ultimate MK3
Stunt Race FX
Super Scope 6 (you need the Super Scope lightgun)
Battle Clash (super scope)
Metal Combat (super scope)
Yoshi's Safari (super scope)
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Sunset Riders
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Super Metroid
Contra III The Alien Wars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario Allstars
Top Gear
Pilotwings
U.N. Squadron
Final Fight 2 & 3 (FF1 sucks)
Street Fighter II (World Warrior, Turbo, and Super)
Killer Instinct
Shadowrun
Zelda 3
Donkey Kong Country (1 & 2 more so than 3, but 3 is ok)
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, & Urban Strike
Kirby's Dreamland 3
Kirby Superstar
Super Mario RPG
Soul Blazer
EVO
Super Castlevania 4
Castlevania Dracula X
Gradius III

There's probably more but that's all I could think of at the moment.

Banon
05-03-2009, 06:14 PM
You guys forgot Goof Troop, and Street Fighter II. (Can't believe that wasn't mentioned until now:()

ShadowTiger
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I didn't really like Illusion of Gaia. It felt like it combined the aspects of Terranigma and Illusion of Gaia, but sort of failed along the way. Terranigma just got everything right. It feels like a real RPG with action elements, and a lot of quality content. Illusion of Gaia looks like Terranigma from the outside, but it's really just a cheap version of Soul Blazer.

But see? Soul Blazer is in Mottzilla's List. Soul Blazer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDwYsTHvfBI) is a world restoration game. It does it in a slightly more direct way than Terranigma does. For one, it's more hack 'n slash, and spell casting, and strategy with the monsters. You've got your monster gates, and you have to kill all the monsters in a room to make the monster gate into a switch. Sometimes the switch changes the level a little, letting you go a bit further, and sometimes it releases some overworld content for you to explore and progress in the story. (Sort of how beating each Tower in Terranigma releases content, and a continent.) It's a very very enjoyable game. Highly recommended.

MottZilla
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
You guys forgot Goof Troop, and Street Fighter II. (Can't believe that wasn't mentioned until now:()

Street Fighter II was in my list. Sorry it wasn't alphabetized and easier to see.

Banon
05-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Street Fighter II was in my list. Sorry it wasn't alphabetized and easier to see.

Ahhh... Yes... Sorry

Well still Goof Troop kicked ass. Even if it was only 1-2 hours long. It was like an early Four Swords with some of the best block puzzles I've ever seen.

granite
05-04-2009, 03:20 AM
SNES
F-Zero
Populus

NES
Eye of the Beholder
Fester's Quest
Legacy of the Wizzard
Super Mario bros 2
Adventures of Link
etc.

I think the concept of the game, not the graphics, is what makes a game fun to play.

Aliem
05-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Wow, I can't believe I forgot to throw on Secret of Mana.

Oh, and Super Mario Kart. That game's just fun. Star Ocean's another really good SNES RPG. If you're into tactical RPGs, I suggest giving Bahamut Lagoon a try. The three Donkey Kong Country games aren't too bad, either.

Matteo
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Super Metroid - Not the best Metroid game by any means, but it's fun

What are you smoking?
Its easily the best Metroid, and one of the best games of all time!

Cloral
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Soul Blazer is the one SNES game I find myself going back to play every once in a while. It's not very hard, but it's fun. And the game is structured much better than its sequels (which are fun as well, but to me, Soul Blazer is the best of the three).

The one game I would add that hasn't been said yet is Super Smash TV. It's basically Robotron but presented as a super-violent TV game show with power-ups and bonus prizes. It's very challenging and very rewarding as you make your way through it. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go back and play Smash TV again.

Masamune
05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I didn't like Soul Blazer that much, but since I grew up playing Illusions of Gaia on the legit cartridge, I'd say it's my favorite. But I just loaded up Terranigma for the first time the other day, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

But as far as SNES games I'd recommend:

Aladdin
Gradius III
Megaman 7
Megaman X 1-3
Final Fantasy III
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2

Oh yeah and Super Metroid. Can't forget that.

Modus Ponens
05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Terranigma is a spectacular game that I certainly recommend, but wasn't it never released in the US? If you're talking about playing SNES games on a physical SNES, I don't think you're going to be able to play Terranigma unless you live in Australia (or maybe Europe?).

Soul Blazer is a beautiful, beautiful game whose music has a severely potent nostalgic effect on me.

Super Metroid is the best 2-D Metroid title. Don't listen to russadwan.

Also, for a great puzzle title, Tetris Attack is not to be overlooked.

Mr. 207
05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, I cant be bothered to read everyone elses, here are my picks:

Any of the Mario games (Super, Yoshis Island, Mario Kart)
Any of the Square games (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy's, SOM)
Super Metroid
Donkey Kong Country series
Megaman X series
Soul Blazer
Act Raiser

Masamune
05-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot Super Metroid. It really is the best Metroid game in existence.

MasterSwordUltima
05-04-2009, 02:14 PM
And if you can get a copy, Dragonball Z - Hyper Dimension.

It really is a good game.

Aliem
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Terranigma is a spectacular game that I certainly recommend, but wasn't it never released in the US? If you're talking about playing SNES games on a physical SNES, I don't think you're going to be able to play Terranigma unless you live in Australia (or maybe Europe?).

Soul Blazer is a beautiful, beautiful game whose music has a severely potent nostalgic effect on me.

Super Metroid is the best 2-D Metroid title. Don't listen to russadwan.

Also, for a great puzzle title, Tetris Attack is not to be overlooked.

Yeah, Terranigma was never released in the US. It was released in Japan and the PAL regions, but not in the US.

MrCow
05-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Secret of Evermore Breath of Fire 1 and 2(emphasis on 1) Lufia 1 and 2

ShyGuy0824
05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm going to echo Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Aladdin... and propose Cool Spot? Did they make it for SNES? I loved that game on Genesis...

Modus Ponens
05-05-2009, 10:25 PM
This thread (and the beer and a half I recently drank) are reminding me of how great the SNES's library is. Look at all those solid gold titles!