PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

The_Amaster
04-26-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html?eref=rss_world

Where did this come from? I have never heard of this before today. Now it's everywhere.

Lilith
04-26-2009, 04:06 PM
---

Beldaran
04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Obama visited Mexico, fucked a pig in the ass, the rest is history.

rock_nog
04-26-2009, 04:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u7px_GzWQ

In all seriousness, I have absolutely no idea where this came from. After all, we all know that it is utterly impossible for genetic material to mutate in such a way as to alter the traits of an organism. Thus, it is utterly inconceivable that a new, virulent flu strain would appear that cannot be stopped by current vaccines. Must be magic.

Aegix Drakan
04-26-2009, 05:31 PM
The planet is continuing its ongoing attempt to wipe out humanity and restore balance.

But we'll find a way to counter it soon enough. SARS was a big problem for a while, but we stopped THAT.

Dechipher
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM
It's the Happening!

Sweet. I'll just stay indoors. That seems to make the most sense.

Fabiano the Spy
04-26-2009, 06:31 PM
The planet is continuing its ongoing attempt to wipe out humanity and restore balance.

You know, sometimes, it actually seems like that. So from what I've gathered, it's the pigs fault, correct?

First the birds, now the pigs....

Zank_Tripper
04-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Somehow I think there must be a connection between the two. Flying pigs anyone?

Aegix Drakan
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
First the birds, now the pigs....

...Tomorrow the (lol)cats.

.......Oh wait.

Fabiano the Spy
04-27-2009, 04:15 AM
http://www.infowars.com/

Listen to this guys podcast. At the very least you might laugh (to some, he sounds crazy), but some of it is actually interesting.

Then, there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnXa2ievH9Q&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2Fvideosearch%3 Fsource%3Dig%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUS324%26q %3Ddr%2520doomsday%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF-&feature=player_embedded

Probably conspiracy, but hell...meh.

A lot of people are taking that guys words the wrong way. I don't think he's saying "OMG KILL ALL THESE PEOPLE" I think he's right, that the world would be in better shape IF in an ALTERNATE REALITY for example, we had less people, the world WOULD be in better shape. But a lot of people are just saying "he's wanting to kill a bunch of people off, he created the new Swine Flu strand!! :O"

Zank_Tripper
04-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I saw this on xkcd today:

http://xkcd.com/574/

Cloral
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a feeling this has been around for a little while. After all, the symptoms are essentially the same as the regular flu, so people wouldn't've been going to the hospital saying, "I think I might have a different type of flu, test me." Nobody would've noticed anything until people started dying from it, and that's what happened last week.

rock_nog
04-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a feeling this has been around for a little while. After all, the symptoms are essentially the same as the regular flu, so people wouldn't've been going to the hospital saying, "I think I might have a different type of flu, test me." Nobody would've noticed anything until people started dying from it, and that's what happened last week.
Well, there actually is something of a big difference - as of yet, there is no vaccine for it. I think that's primarily what separates this from a typical flu outbreak. Having a flu outbreak where people die isn't actually all that uncommon.

Cloral
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
That is true, people die from the flu every year. The difference is the rate. With the normal flu, the mortality rate is under 1% and is mostly confined to the very young, very old, and already sick. The current outbreak in Mexico City may have a mortality rate as high as 7% and has no problem killing otherwise healthy people. By comparison, the flu pandemic of 1918 had a 2.5% mortality rate.

Prrkitty
04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
The viri (swine, bird and human cold)... started jumping species. The current swine (a mixture of all three)... seems to be resistant to 2 of our 4 biggest (strongest (hope I remember what I read right)) antibiotics... which would mean that it has mutated - yet again.

Seems viri's favorite thing to do is mutate...

Doctors are too antibiotic happy. They prescribe 'em for everything. Which then makes our immune system screwy. Now I'm not saying don't take antibiotics... but don't take 'em for everything. Pick and choose what you take them for.

Overuse makes them useless...

Edit: 4/27/09 @ 12:59p

Article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517958,00.html
Quote: Swine flu is new flu virus combining strains of human, bird and swine flu. Despite the name, experts believe the virus is being transmitted human-to-human, not pig-to-human

rock_nog
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I would like to point out that while it's true, antibiotics are used too much, it doesn't have much bearing on the current situation - antibiotics aren't used in the treatment of viruses.

Cloral
04-27-2009, 05:49 PM
I think the big problem with antibiotics comes from people who don't follow their doctor's directions. They feel better, figure they don't need the medicine anymore, and stop taking it early. That leads to the antibiotic-resistant diseases.

DarkDragon
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Meh. I certainly don't want to make light of those who've died of this disease in Mexico, but in my opinion the current swine flu paranoia is an example of panic blown way out of proportion. Compare it to the mortality rate of some other infectious diseases (in developed countries):

Ebola (some strains): 90%
HIV: 40%
Meningitis: 25%
Malaria: 15%
Measles: 2%
Pneumonia: 1.7%
Whooping cough: 0.2%
Swine flu: 0%

So sure, I'm not going to go out tomorrow and lick people with known swine flu infections, but nor am I going to alter my daily life in any way, or spend time watching "special reports" about the disease on TV.

Russ
04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, it's not too big now, but it has potential to become an endemic. Remember the Spanish flu in the 1920's? That wiped out tons of people in the US. This swine flu could do the same. Let's just hope they're able to produce an antibiotic or isolate everybody so it will die off.

I think you're on to something. :laughing:

AtmaWeapon
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I really don't know what to think.

On one hand, I have medical experts telling me that this is similar to other flus. I'm being told to wash my hands, not eat after other people, and try not to come into contact with sick people. If I display flu symptoms I am asked to visit a doctor as soon as possible, mainly for the sake of others that I might otherwise come in contact with.

On the other hand, there's the citizens of America. OH MY GOD IT'S A FLU THERE HASN'T BEEN A FLU SINCE JESUS HAD TO HEAL THAT GUY BY FIGHTING A GRIFFIN! THERE WAS A FLU LAST YEAR BUT NO ONE DIED FROM IT BECAUSE THE FLU IS NOT DANGEROUS AND GEORGE BUSH DUSTED THE COUNTRY FOR IT. THE SWINE FLU IS AN ADVANCED FORM OF AIDS AND IF YOU GET IT THEN EVERYONE YOU TOUCH IS PREGNANT EVEN IF THEY ARE A MAN AND THE BABY WILL HAVE AUTISM! IF YOUR CHILD GOT AN MMR SHOT THEN THEY ALREADY HAVE THE SWINE FLU AND THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO GET A JOB FOR THE COUNTY PICKING UP TREE BARK TO HELP PREVENT FOREST FIRES. I SAW AN EPISODE OF FAMILY GUY WHERE PETER HAD A EXTRA NIPPLE BECAUSE HE GOT THE SWINE FLU THAT MEANS THAT THERE ARE OVER 40 BILLION DEATHS DUE TO SWINE FLU ALREADY! THIS IS A MUSLIM PLOT TO GET US BACK FOR EATING BACON. I AM GOING TO HOMESCHOOL MY TWELVE CHILDREN NOW BECAUSE THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE JUST TOO DANGEROUS WITH ALL THESE DISEASES LIKE SWINE FLU THEY CAN GET FROM USING ANOTHER KID'S PENCIL.

Beldaran
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Dude, that was bucking frilliant.

rock_nog
04-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone else amused by the fact that people have stopped eating pork? Okay, it sucks for the pork industry, but the sheer irrationality of it is hysterical. Apparently since it has "swine" in the name, people leap to the conclusion that you get it from eating infected pigs... or something... Frankly, I'm really not sure what the thought process is at all.

Russ
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

The first US death from the flu.

Oh, and AtmaWeapon, that was funny.

Beldaran
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Death toll summary:
(United States Deaths since January 1st, 2009)

Swine Flu: 1

Regular Flu: 13,000

Cloral
04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
They freaked out in LA yesterday and thought there were two deaths from swine flu. Turns out it was just good-old pneumonia.

Dechipher
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Anyone else amused by the fact that people have stopped eating pork? Okay, it sucks for the pork industry, but the sheer irrationality of it is hysterical. Apparently since it has "swine" in the name, people leap to the conclusion that you get it from eating infected pigs... or something... Frankly, I'm really not sure what the thought process is at all.

I could understand that. First off, the word swine itself does not make me want to grill up some pork chops. Second, the idea that people are getting sick from something that is associated with pigs does not make eating pork appetizing at all. It's all perception of stuff, not actual facts.

Prrkitty
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Talk about "over kill" - "Egypt Orders Slaughter of ALL Pigs over Swine Flu"

http://www.ktvu.com/news/19320844/detail.html

Good job Egypt...

Cloral
04-29-2009, 05:09 PM
The ironic thing about that? If any of the farmers ever want to raise pigs again, they're going to have to import them. That increases the chance of swine flu coming to their country.

rock_nog
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I think the real irony is that Egypt has destroyed these farmers' livelihoods, and in the process has caused far more harm than the swine flu has.

Russ
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I think the irony is that now Egypt is without pigs and chickens because of their reaction to Bird Flu a few years ago. Way to go Egypt. You're ruining the farmer's live over a non-existent threat.

Beldaran
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
If only there were an Islam flu. Would solve like a million problems.

rock_nog
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Damnit, Beldaran, I just realized, flip the tables - they're probably laughing that it's an Infidel flu.

The_Amaster
04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Maybe the terrorists will leave us alone now
"God has visited his punishment on the capitalist pigs!"

Russ
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Damnit, Beldaran, I just realized, flip the tables - they're probably laughing that it's an Infidel flu.
You know, that just made my day. But for that matter, it wouldn't affect observant Jews either. :D

Maybe the terrorists will leave us alone now
"God has visited his punishment on the capitalist pigs!"
That would be so wonderful.

Aegix Drakan
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey atma. I think you're onto something!

Talk about "over kill" - "Egypt Orders Slaughter of ALL Pigs over Swine Flu"Good job Egypt...

...oh you gotta be kidding me. What, if there is a fish flu, the're gonna kill off every fish in the nile?

Cloral
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
If only there were an Islam flu. Would solve like a million problems.

I'll bet that some Muslims view the flu as a punishment from Allah upon the infidels for eating pork. Recall that pork is forbidden in Islam.

AtmaWeapon
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
If only there were an Islam flu. Would solve like a million problems.I got 10,000 problems but Islam ain't one of them. (My car's head gasket is like 1,200 of them though.)

Beldaran
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
I got 99 problems but a jihad ain't one...

Rijuhn
04-30-2009, 04:44 AM
I got 99 problems but a jihad ain't one...

You have provided adaquate Lulz for me this day. :cool:

Prrkitty
04-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Also... in Egypt (as far as I knew yesterday...) there's been absolutely NO incidence of swine flu there. http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1894703,00.html?cnn=yes

They're being preventative by killing ALL pigs? Yet the funny thing is... the flu will walk in on two (2) legs... not 4 (four)... So sure... kill your food supply. And when you come to your senses you'll have to go to other countries to get more pigs ... which THEN could expose you to the areas that DO have the flu strains.

Way to go with stupidity and mass hysteria...

Michaelk88
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
If you cook anything properly you don't have to worry about being infected from pork. Also isn't the flu an infection of the throat?

Cloral
05-02-2009, 01:54 AM
The WHO raised their pandemic alert to 5 a few days ago. I don't know if that means I'm supposed to put on a helmet or what.

In all seriousness though, it's starting to look like what I've been suspecting for the last few days is true: this flu is no more deadly than the seasonal flu. The mortality rate was probably overstated because the true number of cases wasn't known. In addition, it seems that many experts think this flu has been out there for months, maybe even as much as a year, and we're only just now noticing a difference from the normal flu.

Of course, as soon as something like this gets out there people want to point fingers. I read the report of the city that's blaming a nearby dirty pig farm for the outbreak, since the people in that town got sick about a month ago. Now that could've happened, or maybe it didn't. We haven't found any sick pigs at that farm. We don't even know for sure that the virus is from pigs. It contains some pig flu bits, but it also contains pieces of human and avian flu. For all we know, the virus could've reconfigured to its current state in a person. But today my dad forwarded me an article that jumped to the conclusion that was the source of the virus and dosed out heaps of scorn on the U.S. company that has partial ownership of the farm. That article was from truthout, and I swear to god every time he sends me one of those I can't delete it fast enough. They're more biased than Fox News, which is really saying something.

CaRmAgE
05-02-2009, 04:05 PM
http://doihaveswineflu.org/

Majora
05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
The swine flu is quite literally nothing but the regular flu. The only reason people are shitting their pants is because it's very contagious. I could be mistaken but swine flu just causes very high fever. like, insanely high. The regular flu probably does that too if untreated, so swine flu is just a more contagious, marginally worse version of the regular flu, only pigs get it too.

Prrkitty
05-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Swine flu also makes people more susceptible to getting/developing pneumonia (which was the main cause of death in the 1918 swine flu epidemic).

CaRmAgE
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I just hope this overreaction to the swine flu won't mean my class trip to the British Isles will be canceled.

Saffith
05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Well, I'm posting this. http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasure/2009/05/swine_flu_the_overreaction_ove.php

It's easy to see it as an overreaction, but it's important to realize how bad this could have been. At this point, it looks like it's well enough under control and shouldn't be a huge deal, overall, but people need not to get the idea that everyone was freaking out over nothing.