PDA

View Full Version : What should you do?

Prrkitty
04-21-2009, 09:42 PM
In two days... I'll post what the answer to this is... between now and then... make your best guess! :)

You are on a horse, galloping at a constant speed.

On your right side is a sharp drop off, and on your left side is an elephant traveling at the same speed as you.

Directly in front of you is a galloping kangaroo and your horse is unable to overtake it.

Behind you is a lion running at the same speed as you and the Kangaroo.

What must you do to safely get out of this situation?

Beldaran
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Just stay on the horse. Horses can maintain a constant rate of speed for much longer than a lion. Eventually the lion will get tired or lose interest in such difficult prey.

I know that's not the answer though. The answer is something creative and very difficult to imagine with the given information.

Shazza Dani
04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Don't get on the horse in the first place. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/plz/imhappyplz.gif

jerome
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Staying on the horse is what I was thinking as well, just without the thought of longevity compared to the others animals. I was thinking that we're all heading, say, west then it's no problem. I think where people mistake what to do next is that they automatically assume the animal is coming straight at them just because it's "to their right".

On a second reading, you could just turn left after the elephant passes you if it's going in the opposite direction at your same speed. Then the lion can get the kangaroo if it tires before the lion does.

Archangel
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Jump on the lion and pretend your George of the Jungle.

jerome
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
I suppose you could also just pause the game, go look up some cheat codes giving you the level 4 cheat code, and then press I so you have invincibility stopclock going for you! You could also press F11-no walls and drive the lion nuts as he tries to eat you. But all of that would take a lot of scripting.

</ridiculous answer>

The_Amaster
04-21-2009, 10:25 PM
*sigh* at first glance, I agree with Bel. But you'll crash into the kangaroo as it slows down from exhaustion.

Beldaran
04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
But by then the elephant will be long gone and you can turn left to avoid the flagging kangaroo.

gdorf
04-21-2009, 10:46 PM
I think I know the answer, but I won't ruin it for anyone.

01100011011000010111001001101111011101010111001101 10010101101100

The_Amaster
Hmm, I thought elephants could keep up a good pace for a long time? Something...I thought people always underestimated their ability to run or something.

It's all down to which tires faster, an elephant or a kangaroo? Or maybe even a lion? They're built for stalk-pounce, not distance running.

Masamune
Bring a gun.

Fabiano the Spy
04-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Should I post it or not? I think I figured this out, it's a smart one.

--------If you don't want it spoiled, don't read below this-----------

I again warn you

Wait for the ride to finish, then get off. You're on a carousel. I could be wrong, but it's just a guess, based on the animals used in the situation. etc.

Beldaran
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I think I know the answer, but I won't ruin it for anyone.

01100011011000010111001001101111011101010111001101 10010101101100

Nice call. Mr. Smarty Pants. :)

However, carousel is the wrong answer.

The problem clearly states that a lion is running behind you. It does not say "There is an immobile representation of a lion that looks as though it is running even though it is not because it is not a lion."

There are no running lions on carousels. There are only immobile representations of lions that cannot run. If something cannot run, then it cannot be running.

Archangel
04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Assuming the quest is grammatically correct, and not a trick question. Yes Belderan would be correct. I would jump on the Lion still. It's the only predator out of the bunch.
So best become it's friend while you still can. So go on Prrkitty. Give that cat a hug.

Fabiano the Spy
04-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Eh, we'll just have to wait and see :)

It could be correct ;)

Think about it. Running at the same speed as the horse you're on.. The mechanical Lion is running (operating, functioning, moving) at the same speed as you and the Kangaroo. ;)

Even the fucking elephant is moving at the same speed. All animals mentioned are moving at the same speed.... That's my thinking, anyways.

Dechipher
04-22-2009, 12:38 AM
If you're not on a carousel, let the lion take the horse down and get the fuck out of there. If there's any way to strangle the horse, do that, or stab it or something and then let the lion have it. Then climb down the sharp drop off and hope you don't die.

Beldaran
04-22-2009, 12:45 AM
The mechanical Lion is running

No, it is not. The carousel is running. The immobile piece of plastic that looks like a lion is not doing anything because it cannot do anything.

There is no lion on a carousel.

Fabiano the Spy
04-22-2009, 12:46 AM
http://iu.outerhaven.org/uploads/23aff8274647d757bd35ebf632cd510b.jpg

And before it's said that there isn't roo's on them either...

http://iu.outerhaven.org/uploads/93ddfe2ef7af26773e7debe1dadc3764.jpg

Anyways, I'm probably thinking too out of the box. meh.

I'm going to just go smoke some pot now or something, I'm probably wrong but eh.

Beldaran
04-22-2009, 01:05 AM
That is not a lion. It is a piece of contiguous plastic material. It can't do any of the things a lion can do.

This is a lion:

http://www.devilgraphics.com/lion/Captive-Male-Lion-L.jpg

Fabiano the Spy
04-22-2009, 01:08 AM
You know what the hell I meant. I was expressing my theory, and it actually fits. Yours does too, but we'll just have to see when she posts the answer.

It could be a trick question. We'll just have to see. :)

Zank_Tripper
04-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Not enough information.

A few questions which need to be answered first:

1) Don't kangaroo's hop, not gallop?
2) Why is there a kangaroo and a lion in the same location?
3) Are the animals alive?
4) Is the drop off hazardous?
5) Does this take place under normal earth gravity?
6) How is the elephant 'travelling'? (jet liner, antigrav skateboard, running, etc)
7) Is the lion hungry?
8) How big is the elephant?
9) How tired is your horse compared to the lion?
10) How 'safe' do you have to be and when are you 'out' of the situation?

rock_nog
04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Good point. Lions and elephants live in Africa, kangaroos live in Australia, which means you're clearly dreaming, and so the solution is to jump to the right and hope the fall wakes you up. Or alternatively, realize you're dreaming and then start lucid dreaming and do whatever the hell you want.

jerome
04-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I laughed when Fabiano the Spy mentioned "The carousel". I was like "Holy crap, I'd never have thought of that." Whether or not it turns out to be the answer is on Prrkitty, but it could be based on his logic of it and the little information provided.

I think it actually may be the answer, because I remember this question from high school, or middle school... hell, I can't remember, it's been over 10 years for either. The animals may have changed, but the answer's still the same. But I think carousel may have been the answer. By Fabiano's theory, the plastic representations of a lion, horse, kangaroo, and elephant moving up and down is a machine "running". So it very well could be the answer. Also explains how the "horse" can't overcome the kangaroo. But I found this little amount of info as well:

Animal Top Speed (mph)
Lion 50.00 (while charging)
Quarter horse 47.50 (1/4 mile)
Kangaroo 30.00 (1/4 mile)
Human 27.89 (at 15 yd run)
Elephant 25.00 (while charging)
Garden snail 0.03 (wasn't very motivated)

Also generally lions attack from the side to tackle their prey so they don't get kicked by the hoofs of antelope and such. One kick from them, or a horse, and that lion is doing nothing but filling out coloring books for the rest of it's life, if it's lucky. That and they attack from the side as to throw the prey off balance so as to get a better "hit"... loss of words on what else to call the attack.

http://iu.outerhaven.org/uploads/93ddfe2ef7af26773e7debe1dadc3764.jpg

Look! The horse on the right overcame the Kangaroo!!

Prrkitty
04-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Y'all are so cute :) I'll post the answer tomorrow :)

ctrl-alt-delete
04-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Just stay on the damn horse. The lion is running the same speed as you and the kangaroo. Therefore, he will never catch you.

Read, people.

Archangel
04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Horses are athletic by nature, lions are not "lioness are, but not an actual lion."

Fabiano the Spy
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Archangel, thanks for the grey rep ;D
Your pathetic attempt to neg rep me made me rofl.

Anyways, it's either the merry-go-round, or the theory that nothing will happen because all animals or going at the same speed. I'm confident in both. We'll just have to see. :)

AtmaWeapon
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm thinking the elephant's the wisest choice, followed by the horse. The lion is an opportunist, and I bet they generally won't go to the trouble of chasing something if they don't think they can kill it. That makes the kangaroo and the horse the most likely targets. The kangaroo might fatigue first, the horse might be next; it really doesn't matter because the lion knows he can't take the elephant without great risk.

Failing that, backflip off the horse and drop kick the lion square in the nose.

rock_nog
04-22-2009, 10:07 PM
I still say that the situation is impossible and thus we can infer unreliability on the part of the narrator, which leads me to conclude that the whole scenario is either a dream or a drug-induced hallucination (which provides a neat little loophole for Bel's argument against the merry-go-round hypothesis).

Shazza Dani
04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I've got it! You're a flea on the horse, so you're relatively safe regardless of what happens. 8D

AtmaWeapon
04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
I think I will tell the horse to stop so I can pray to God to send some angels down and rain manna on the lion so he won't be hungry :mega:

Archibaldo
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Nice call. Mr. Smarty Pants. :)

However, carousel is the wrong answer.

The problem clearly states that a lion is running behind you. It does not say "There is an immobile representation of a lion that looks as though it is running even though it is not because it is not a lion."

There are no running lions on carousels. There are only immobile representations of lions that cannot run. If something cannot run, then it cannot be running.

You're not familiar with riddles are you?

It's definitely a merry-go-round. Also, how are Kangaroos as fast as a horse? Are they really that fast?

My answer: Take my whip and go for the kangaroo's legs to trip it and let the lion take the kangaroo. 'Cause I'm Indiana Jones btw.

jerome
04-23-2009, 09:25 AM
I've got it! You're a flea on the horse, so you're relatively safe regardless of what happens. 8D

That's definitely out of the box thinking here. It would also explain how someone else mentioned to jump on the lion... and then you wouldn't get hurt. And then the lion would be food for you. Mmmm... blood drop soup. Anyone hungry?

Prrkitty
04-23-2009, 03:34 PM
The answer:

Get your drunk ass OFF the merry-go-round!!!

Hope y'all enjoyed this. I enjoyed reading all the responses... thanks for playing :)

jerome
04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Do you have any others?

MasterSwordUltima
04-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Bel hates you, Prrkitty.

granite
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
The answer:

Get your drunk ass OFF the merry-go-round!!!

Hope y'all enjoyed this. I enjoyed reading all the responses... thanks for playing :)

That can't be right. If your drunk you wouldn't dare get on the merry-go-round in the first place or else you know that you would be laying on the floor, hanging on to the lions foot, yelling "Please stop the ride"

Prrkitty
04-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Do you have any others?

I wish I did hon. It was actually included in a joke someone sent me... so I shared that part with y'all :)

Bel hates you, Prrkitty.

He does huh? How ya figure?

That can't be right. If your drunk you wouldn't dare get on the merry-go-round in the first place or else you know that you would be laying on the floor, hanging on to the lions foot, yelling "Please stop the ride"

Voice of experience hon? <lol>

biggiy05
04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
He does huh? How ya figure?

This is why.

No, it is not. The carousel is running. The immobile piece of plastic that looks like a lion is not doing anything because it cannot do anything.