PDA

View Full Version : What do you expect in a game?

Fabiano the Spy
04-20-2009, 04:04 AM
What type of gamer are you?

Are you into the hardcore graphics stuff? Will you still purchase a game if the price is reasonable, the story is great, but the graphics are just a tad greater than SNES games?

I'm personally in the process of getting a game ready for press date and having it sold in some stores locally, but mainly online.

No, I'm not here to commercial it out or try to sell it to you, or even link it, I'm just asking from your personal thoughts, what would have to be in an "indie" game to suit your tastes to the point that you'd purchase it.

I'm looking for some serious thoughts here, because I'll be honest, I'm getting nervous as things get closer, and I want to try to nail everything on the head as much possible.

Thanks for your thoughts and time, I can't express how valuable they are to me, I really do appreciate it.

Beldaran
04-20-2009, 08:29 AM
If you love the game you made, then it will have a much better chance of success than if you don't love it. It's an impossibly circular game to guess what everyone wants and you'll never be able to please most people. Just make the game that gets you hard and then enjoy whatever success may come.

ShadowTiger
04-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Sometimes you have to think outside of the box and take a risk to make something amazing. Look at Okami and the original Super Smash Bros. Who would've thought that a Wolf who runs around warping the fabric of reality in a heavily Asian drawn Culture that plays almost exactly like OoT would've excelled so well? Who would've imagined that a game where you beat up other Nintendo characters in Nintendo stages would've been so popular.

That would've likely been the engine though. If you'd played Okami in a top-down Isometric perspective, it might've been almost as good, probably, but if Brawl had utilized a Street fighter engine, it would've done far less well than it has to this day. So yeah, sometimes you have to depart from the norm, but either way, be original, and take risks. You never know.

Nicholas Steel
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Metroid Prime 1: A game with a epic story, tons of information spread out and available "if" you want it (doesn't force the information on you), has a huge array of exploration/battles/puzzles and has a awesome atmosphere. Sadly MP2 and especially 3 seem to lack the atmosphere of the first game, the 3rd game also greatly reduced the amount of information available as well :/

Aegix Drakan
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
When I play a game, I expect to be able to sit down and be drawn into a whole new world for a while, and be able to forget that I'm a nerd sittin gon a couch with a controller in hand. This applies expecially to RPGs.

While graphics are important, honestly, they don't make the game. the setting, story, and gameplay matter much much more. And yes, I'd definetely buy a game with SNES graphics if it's fun and has a good story. point of fact, If the developers of "black Sigil" Would RELEASE THE DAMN GAME IN CANADA INSTEAD OF JUST THE US, I'd buy it for sure.

Also, I second Beldaran's statemnt that if YOU love a game, it'll stand a better chance. I'm currently making an RPG with a good pal of mine (no, not ht egame that was in my sig. this one is a MUCH BETTER GAME), and both of us are really passoinate about it (although I often slack off when it comes to sitting down and designing maps that have nothing to do with our absolutely STELLAR story). I'm hoping that at some pint, we'll be able to sell our idea to ATLUS, or something like that, since my friend and I both agree that we want others to experience this great game (preferably with an original soudtrack, and graphics).

So as long as you are passionate about your game, you stand a better chance.

Rasen
04-26-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't care about graphics, not one bit. Story is great, but depending on the type of game I can accept it being non-exsistent. (GTA, Shmups, etc) gameplay must be easy to learn and make sense. I also expect it to feel like it was made proffesionally.

MottZilla
04-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Things people generally expect in a game, it shouldn't crash. Also the gameplay shouldn't be broken. People expect there shouldn't be huge exploits that ruin the game experience. No idea what kind of game you're making but generally people want to enjoy themselves so making sure your game is fun to play is the most important thing.

rock_nog
04-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Forget story, forget graphics, for me, it's all about the gameplay. If the moment-to-moment action is entertaining, you've sold me. You know, killing an enemy or solving a puzzle should feel rewarding in itself and not be a chore, regardless of the big picture. This is a large part of why I've never really gotten into RPGs, especially turn-based ones.

My ideal game would be something like No More Heroes. I have my gripes about, and the act of earning money for the next fight was tedious at times, but even the lowly peons were fun to kill, and the boss fights were a constant dance of dodging, blocking, and timing your attacks just right - actually, it was one of the few games where I looked forward to bosses.

Dechipher
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
The idea of every aspect of the game being fun and not a chore is key, I feel. I have been playing the DKC series again lately, and even when I'm trying to get that last damn DK coin, it's still fun to play.

Banon
04-26-2009, 05:53 PM
It really depends on the genre of the game.

It's really hard to screw up an FPS with a good physics engine, so the only thing that really matters in a lot of people's minds is the weapons, and the graphics despite what they say if you ask them.

If it's a turn-based RPG, then plot becomes more important as well as stategic implements. Also, a kickass soundtrack doesn't hurt.

An action RPG tends to gear towards customization in my experience. (FFCC, WoW, GW)

Platformers vary so much that I'll just go with creativity.

Stratagy games are kinda self-explanitory.

Fighting games either need to be ridiculously complex or easy to pick up and play.

Adventure games should have a mix of puzzle solving, and fighting. Not to mention a feeling of achievment as much as possible. (For example the original Zelda had a secret pretty much every 4th room.

Rhythm games depend on quality music.

Minigames should have variety and humour.

...Am I missing a genre?

Gameplay isn't always the most important though. Take Phoenix Wright for example.

Fabiano the Spy
04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
If it's a turn-based RPG, then plot becomes more important as well as stategic implements. Also, a kickass soundtrack doesn't hurt.

Which is why I spent over a year on the plot and hired AG's best music composer :)

Thanks for all your input guys, I'm feeling better about it as time goes on. The last week, I've been mainy redesigning rooms, etc. So I feel a little discouraged at the same time, that as far as development goes, I feel like I actually went BACKWARDS. But at the same time, I feel like even going "backwards" I feel like I'm just improving it more, and it will all be worth the wait.

Aegix Drakan
04-26-2009, 07:05 PM
I know how you feel. ;) The RPG I'm making has been in development for around 3-4 years (I've been helping for about 1 1/2 years), and we're less than half done. We FINALLY have the story down pat, though. If we can get Atlus in on it somehow....oh my gosh, it would blow minds.

:P So I think you will understand my enthusiasm when you say you spent a year making the plot. I really want to know what the game is about.

Also, what are you making it in? Actual code? or is it an RPGmaker thing?

Fabiano the Spy
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Actually, both. I'm using RMVX's engine for things like the database for characters, etc, but I'm actually making even things like common events using RUBY scripting.

I'm more than willing to PM you the story details without going too deep into it, if you'd like :)

Aegix Drakan
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Actually, both. I'm using RMVX's engine for things like the database for characters, etc, but I'm actually making even things like common events using RUBY scripting.

I'm more than willing to PM you the story details without going too deep into it, if you'd like :)

Sweet. My friend and I have bene trying to figure out ruby, but haven't managed to make anyhting useful. We're still trying to figure out how to make a seamless party-switching system that works in battle as well as out. @_@ We pretty much gave up.

And please, do share with me the story! I might share a little bit of my own as well. (though I'm NO WAY going in depth. The plot is pretty convoluted, until you get near the end and then you go "OMG IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!!")

The_Amaster
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh, if it's an RPG, please, please, please, for the love of god, give it an original story, and make it clear it's unique pretty early on.
I've been so bummed out lately by how so many RPGs tend to take minor variations on the same two or three themes. TWEWY has spoiled me; after that game, its hard to go back.

Fabiano the Spy
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Oh trust me, this game is very unique.

The plot turns and twist leave a lot of people going "WTF did that just happen?". A couple people that go to AG were beta testers for the original version and they liked it a lot. :)

I'll shoot you a PM later tonight and give you the rough idea around the main basis of the story, but it's rather hard to not spoil anything :P

MasterSwordUltima
05-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh wow, that's cool that another person here knows Ruby. I haven't touched RMVX in a long while though.

Anyway, I hope this turns out well for you.

Fabiano the Spy
05-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Oh wow, that's cool that another person here knows Ruby. I haven't touched RMVX in a long while though.

Anyway, I hope this turns out well for you.
Holy shit how did I miss your post?
Yeah, Ruby is a beautiful language, goodsir, if used correctly. I'm actually friends with some of the "bigwig" RMVX scripters, such as Woratana. :)

I just hired a really good spriter, and face artist (I scrapped my old one), and I have 3 really kick ass musicians, one of them being Dechipher, assuming he still wants to do it.

Things are finally starting to come together, and it keeps getting closer.

So why not link you to outdated information with outdated images, etc?

This game used to be free, mind you, and used nothing but RTP data from RMVX. So much has changed, it's not even funny. Even the story has, so don't judge too much, but you can kinda get a brief idea of some of it, and find out the title.

http://www.lucadialegends.com

Street date changed. Whatever >.>

Up until now, only Dechipher was given any information on it at all :P

I'll give you all some screenshots in the next week or two, I still need to find a monster designer, a few people applied through getafreelancer.com, but I still want to look around a little first.

You can never be too paranoid about getting it right the first time, especially if it's your first time being published.