PDA

View Full Version : Caller id on tv

biggiy05
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I heard about it a few years ago but I heard it on the radio for the first time in a long time today. Caller id on your tv screen? Seriously, how lazy can we get? I'm pretty sure we're reaching the point of no return.

Discuss.

MasterSwordUltima
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
It comes standard with my Dish Network Satellite TV and Verizon landline. It's actually quite bothersome.

Link 101
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I never heard of this until my family decided to get Time Warner cable, which also provides telephone and Roadrunner. It's digital cable and comes with that fancy caller ID on the TV screen. First time I ever heard of or seen this before.

I think it's really stupid. It just seems so pointless. It's kind of like that new Verizon phone they have been advertising. The one with the touchscreen and shit. It's merely for flash, it's not practical at all.

Xyvol
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
It comes standard with my Dish Network Satellite TV and Verizon landline. It's actually quite bothersome.

My parents have this, they have Dish Network. The few times I've seen it in action it's been an info box that pops up across the top of the sceen. Sort of see-thru, but still blocks the picture. It would really annoy me if I had that feature.

biggiy05
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
The one with the touchscreen and shit. It's merely for flash, it's not practical at all.

How is a touch screen phone not practical? If that was the case I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be selling as many as they are. The same goes for the iPod touch. It's not just for flash. It's called technology.

Dark Nation
04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I remember a good 20 or so years ago, my family had a TV that had a speakerphone feature. You could answer calls or even dial out. I don't think caller ID was available back then, though. Still, pretty cool for 20-year-old tech.

Link 101
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
How is a touch screen phone not practical? If that was the case I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be selling as many as they are. The same goes for the iPod touch. It's not just for flash. It's called technology.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads2/2009/02/verizon-hub-voip-touchscreen-phone.jpg

Okay, my mistake. The phone ITSELF is not touchscreen, but the hub is. Don't get me wrong, it's really fuckin' sweet. But really, I don't see the point. You can check the weather and crap and I think send text messages with it? I thought that's what computers and cell phones were for? Not your phone's hub. I feel stupid though, because I know if I had the money, I'd buy one.

If you'd like to look up more about it, it's called the Verizon Hub.

Yoshiman
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
... I really think I'm behind the times. We don't even have regular caller ID. We just pick up the phone and ask who it is. :p

Link 101
04-07-2009, 11:26 PM
We didn't used to have caller ID at my house, let alone cable for one thing. I mean, it's cool, but if you think about it, kind of creepy.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-08-2009, 12:06 AM
I have the caller ID on tv feature with my cable+internet+phone package with Time-Warner, and since I leave my tv on (but muted) all the time, it is very convenient for me. I don't have to pick up the telephone to see who's calling. I just glance at the television as I walk past, or look over from my chair in front of the computer. I don't answer any phone calls from anyone I don't know, so I don't have to bother with telemarketers or solicitors for the multitude of charities that call every couple days. My parents use it in much the same way.

As an adult, I need to know who's calling, so I can answer my phone if one of my family members has fallen ill, or if they've had their baby...or whatever...

Adapting technology to your own needs and wants is what it's all about.

BTW...there is a way to turn off the caller ID on tv widget...both with cable and satellite.

:shrug:

MasterSwordUltima
04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Now I wanna look online for a program to show caller ID on my computer. I know there used to be a few, but now that I've got DSL, I wonder how exactly that would work...what with the filters on the phone lines and all.

AtmaWeapon
04-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Discuss.Thank you, good sir, for giving me the permission to discuss a topic on a discussion forum. Had you not said this, I might have become confused and thought you merely wanted to make a statement and might become angry if I replied.

I'm not really sure how lazy it is. I've got a great cordless phone, but it's always in the spot where I put it down after the last phone conversation. This means I wasn't paying attention and the phone is never in a spot where it's easy to get to. TV caller ID combined with custom rings for VIPs means I don't have to spend a minute wandering around the house to find out that someone wants to offer me an amazing deal on a car warranty or I've won a free shopping spree if I just sign up for these 4 $19.95/month programs.

biggiy05
04-13-2009, 10:06 AM
http://nexus404.com/Blog/wp-content/uploads2/2009/02/verizon-hub-voip-touchscreen-phone.jpg

Okay, my mistake. The phone ITSELF is not touchscreen, but the hub is. Don't get me wrong, it's really fuckin' sweet. But really, I don't see the point. You can check the weather and crap and I think send text messages with it? I thought that's what computers and cell phones were for? Not your phone's hub. I feel stupid though, because I know if I had the money, I'd buy one.

If you'd like to look up more about it, it's called the Verizon Hub.

The hub is awesome! Granted It probably costs $100 if not more a month. I saw a few commercials for it and looked it up online. You can check traffic in real time, get directions, look up a restaurant and more. Expensive but awesome.

MasterSwordUltima
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
So wait, the SERVICE FEE for that thing is $100 a month!? Jeez, I pay $19.99 a month for DSL, and I can do it all on my computer.

biggiy05
04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
So wait, the SERVICE FEE for that thing is $100 a month!? Jeez, I pay $19.99 a month for DSL, and I can do it all on my computer.

Damn you MSU for making me do work outside of my classes for spring quarter.

The Hub is $200 after a $50 online discount with a two year contract. It's $35 a month plus the usual fees associated with phone service. I don't have any need for a land line and can get the majority of those features through my firefox add-ons or google.

Beldaran
04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
lol a really expensive computer phone to do what my computer and phone currently do.

jerome
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
And I heard from a horse, that heard it from a pig that had seen the farmer scratch his nuts, that said the Verizon Hub can bake cookies as well... or maybe not.

Actually what I meant to say was that a friend of mine's parents have that feature with TWC as well. What I'm wondering is that if you are recording a movie/show, and someone calls, is it on the recording as well? If so, that sucks. They never record anything, so I can't get that answer from them.

biggiy05
04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Actually what I meant to say was that a friend of mine's parents have that feature with TWC as well. What I'm wondering is that if you are recording a movie/show, and someone calls, is it on the recording as well? If so, that sucks. They never record anything, so I can't get that answer from them.

So tell your friend to record something and find out. I'm pretty sure it would show up on a recording. I know when I record shows off comedy central and then play it back on my dvd player the progress bar shows up from me hitting play.

jerome
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Their DVD player/recorder sucks, that's why they never record anything. Not that they ever did when it did work, but just the same. It's not a life mystery of mine that I need to find out, I'm just curious if it does or not. I figured someone else here would've already had an issue, if any, with it... so I asked.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-18-2009, 01:24 AM
...that feature with TWC as well. What I'm wondering is that if you are recording a movie/show, and someone calls, is it on the recording as well? If so, that sucks. They never record anything, so I can't get that answer from them.
Not with Time Warner's DVR and caller ID on tv. I record lots of shows, and I receive lots of calls. I've never seen it show up in a dvr'd show.

jerome
04-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Cool, Thanks!

Now I can go back to searching for where I left that cure for cancer, boredom, and hunger. Just kidding... I know where I left it.