PDA

View Full Version : Blocking re-entry

alfinchkid
04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I have an area I want Link to go to near the beginning of the game (before getting any items, really). This area will give a big, story-driving monologue and warp Link out of the starting town to begin the adventure. However, especially due to items like heart containers hidden here, I want Link to (much later) be able to come back to the first town. But how would I keep him from getting the big, story-driving monologue (and warp out) again if the player goes back to that spot? The only way I can think of involves re-creating the entire village (and everywhere else he can wander to at this point in the game) on another map with only the slight difference, but it seems that there should be an easier way (that also wouldn't get rid of the items in that town). Is there an easier way? And if there is, how could I do this?

jerome
04-09-2009, 03:33 PM
First I'd say you could probably use One Timed Events to remove a tile warp that sends you to the long story section. Mostly if you used a tile warp instead of a Side Warp to do so. If you are unsure of how to do those OTEs, check out CastChaos's tutorial at PureZC: http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37884

The other option is kind of the same concept, except with the complexity of OTEs. Have a single path that Link, or whatever character, can follow. Once he steps on a certain tile, it permanently blocks off that path for later use as a warp, but maybe have a small "river" or broken bridge accessible by step-ladder to a side warp to the main area as to bypass the story line.

The OTE thing would probably work best. Once you step in the one area after the story, you hit the trigger to remove the tile warp(s) on the other screen.