PDA

View Full Version : WAV music

Banon
04-01-2009, 02:43 PM
I've been wondering... Is there any reason Z-Quest music is limited to MIDIs, and similar sound types? We can use WAVs for SFX, so it seems kind of weird. I'm not saying it should be put in, I'm just asking why.

~Banon

Jenny
04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
my guesses would be:
1. thats what the original zelda used, but this is a completely different program so maybe not
2. the format of MIDI itself. a sequence of beats instead of a recording.
3. too complicated for the devs to put in.

i'm sure its something completely different, but thats my 3.5 cents.

Revfan9
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Last time I checked you can use WAV's and OGG's (if you value your player's bandwidth, you'll use OGGs!), but it's a total bitch.

There were plans to make it less of a bitch for 2.5, but unfortunately the feature freeze happened before it could come into fruition.

Dark Nation
04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
You can use several different music formats. MP3, OGG, SMC, NSF, etc.

Banon
04-02-2009, 05:07 PM
You can use several different music formats. MP3, OGG, SMC, NSF, etc.

MP3? OGG? I can't seem to be able to load any of those as music in my quest.

On another note, I noticed that Z-Quest can play MP3, but not load it into a quest. Now I'm even more confused.:uhoh:

I'm only really wondering about this because for my quest, I need certain music from certain games, but unfortunately, finding midi remixs or originals is pretty much impossible. I know about vgmusic BTW.

Revfan9
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
You don't load it through "Sound", you load it through "Alternate Music" on the dmap. Also, you'll have to distribute the OGGs or other format you want to use with your quest seperately.

Like I said, it's a bitch, but that's how it works.

Banon
04-03-2009, 12:53 AM
You don't load it through "Sound", you load it through "Alternate Music" on the dmap. Also, you'll have to distribute the OGGs or other format you want to use with your quest seperately.

Like I said, it's a bitch, but that's how it works.

Wow! And to think all this time I wasted trying to find conversion software. Wait... If you can just use alternative music, what's the point of the MIDI menu? Backwards compatability?

Edit: Oh... Right can't edit MP3 directly... Oh well that's what Audacity is for!

Pteryx
04-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Wow! And to think all this time I wasted trying to find conversion software. Wait... If you can just use alternative music, what's the point of the MIDI menu? Backwards compatability?

Edit: Oh... Right can't edit MP3 directly... Oh well that's what Audacity is for!

MIDIs are also considerably smaller than MP3s, OGGs, and such. (It also helps, from my perspective, that I can make them! :D ) -- Pteryx

Banon
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
MIDIs are also considerably smaller than MP3s, OGGs, and such. (It also helps, from my perspective, that I can make them! :D ) -- Pteryx

I know, I've searched far and wide for MIDI versions, but they don't seem to exist.

On an irrelevant note, how did something as annoying as MP3s catch on anyways?

Ahh...whatever... I got what I came for.:shrug:

Dark Nation
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Because MP3's are considerably smaller than uncompressed WAV files (about 1/8 to 1/10 the size) and generally sound "good enough" for most people. *shrug*

Shazza Dani
04-03-2009, 05:06 PM
MP3 or WAV, I don't care. The real problem is that you can't add them to the quest file like midis. >:[

Joe123
04-03-2009, 07:49 PM
We'd have huge quest files with mp3s.

Thinking about full-length wav music makes me shudder.

Banon
04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
We'd have huge quest files with mp3s.

Thinking about full-length wav music makes me shudder.

So it's an issue of space? Dang, I guess that means that it can never happen...

Oh well... that means I'll just have to wait for some MIDIs.

Orrr...

:think:

Anyone know a good FREE MIDI editing software? (Preferably one with a tutorial)