PDA

View Full Version : ZQuest-w.exe Version 984 fails to Open

CJC
03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I recently got a new netbook, which is a very compact and portable breed of laptop. Getting a little nostalgic, I decided to install ZC on it.

Now usually I have trouble opening the programs when I first install it on a new computer... and what I do to fix it involves taking an older version, pasting it into the folder, and then unzipping the new stuff into that folder to overlap the old.

This did NOT work this time. In fact, I continually recieve an error message when trying to open ZQuest-W.exe (Even though no error occurs with the other three exectuable files).
Here's the error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Zelda Classic\New Beta\Build984\zquest-w.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.

I looked up Microsoft Visual C++ and installed it, but the same error message occurs when I try to open ZQuest-w.exe.

Here's my computer info.

Operating System:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:

Asus EeePC
Intel® Atom ™
CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz
1.05 GHz, .99 GB of RAM

And here are the relevant contents of my Build984 Folder:

210test.qst
1st.qst
2nd.qst
3rd.qst
zelda.dat
zc.sav
test29.qst
sfx.dat
qst.dat
fonts.dat
alleg42.dll
ag.cfg
211test.qst
2KNHZITD.tmp
zquest-w.exe
zquest.dat
zelda-w.exe
alleg41.dll
alleg42_crt.dll
allegro.txt
std.zh
zc.icn
zgp.dat
zlaunch-w.exe
romview-w.exe

ZQuest 2.10 runs fine, but the new beta doesn't.
Is there a file that I am missing, or a program I have to install to make the beta run correctly? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Reeling it back from the latest beta backward, I was able to get a working version (Beta 967), albeit only opening through the launcher. Was there something added to the program after that beta that is interfereing with XP Service Pack 3?

Nicholas Steel
04-01-2009, 02:05 AM
try renaming alleg42_crt.dll to alleg42.dll

CJC
04-01-2009, 08:04 PM
[CJC7988, Thread Starter (Listed to counteract April Fools Joke)]

Hmm... that's odd. I swapped the filenames of Alleg42.dll and Alleg42-crt.dll, like you said. The program still crashed when I tried opening it raw, but now it works through the Zelda Classic Launcher. I wonder what the difference is...

Anyways, thank you for the help. It's still April fools, so I can't thank you by name (Since it changes each time the page is refreshed), but I'll edit in a proper show of gratitude tomorrow.

pkmnfrk
04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
It's still April fools, so I can't thank you by name (Since it changes each time the page is refreshed), but I'll edit in a proper show of gratitude tomorrow.

It changes for you? Other than myself, I only see War Lord!

(For fun and profit, we should guess who everyone else is before this expires!)

CJC
04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I read the posts as a guest so people can't tell what I'm up to. Until I find something I want to post in, that is... then I log in. The names were randomized while I was in guest mode, and all switched to Warlord when I logged in (Well... that's not entirely true. Before I logged in, the developers were NEVER randomized, but everyone else was).

Anyways, the prank is finished, so I can do this properly.

Thank you, Franpa. The program just wouldn't have been the same if I couldn't use the Quest editor.

Nicholas Steel
04-03-2009, 09:28 PM
probably your computer can't handle 320x240... but recent builds of zquest/zclassic should default to 640x480 o_o