PDA

View Full Version : Buy Okami for Wii now!

vegeta1215
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
For those of you that don't already have Okami for the Wii, you have no excuse anymore. Capcom just lowered the price to $20, which is a steal. Seriously, get this game. It is amazing, and blows Twilight Princess out of the water.

Also, disregard the naysayers online that have said the Wii controls don't work - they do work, and they work great. The only exceptions are a few optional special moves that are tricky to draw (size is usually the problem), and the Sei-An Kimono Drawing side-quest. (which really is a pain, but not impossible)

Nicholas Steel
03-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I wonder when they will lower the price over here? :)

The_Amaster
03-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Backing up Vegeta here. I picked it up a few months ago; the Wiimore makes the Celestial Brush so amazingly fun to use. My favorite has to be slingshoting from flower to flower with the vine. With the Wiimote it feels almost like webslinging.

Aegix Drakan
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Thirded. Best game I've played on my Wii, with the possible exception of Brawl.

rock_nog
03-31-2009, 04:43 PM
Hmm, I guess I'll have to check it out. I will say this - people bitch so much about how there are no good Wii games, but it seems like when good Wii games come out, nobody buys them. Fact is, when developers see that despite all their hard work, the shovelware still makes more money, well what do you think they're gonna focus on?

The_Amaster
03-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah, this year so far has seen the release of House of the Dead, MadWorld, and Deadly Creatures. The Wii is starting to get it's hardcore on finally. I just hope it's not to late.

ShadowTiger
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Screw Brawl. Okami > Anything + Your Mom In a Bundle. (I'm a Smasher, and I have no regrets saying that. ;) )

Okami is by far one of the greatest games I have ever played. If they ever made an Okami 2, I would buy it over the next Smash game in a heartbeat. You couldn't pay me to badmouth Okami.

Rijuhn
04-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Man, I LOVED Okami. I saw all the sketches and drawing for other cities and places for the game that never made the finished product. Like, there was a awesome looking underwater city aside from just the palace.

Yes, an Okami 2, I would buy.

Modus Ponens
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I seriously doubt that a sequel to Okami will ever be made, since Clover was dissolved by Capcom those stupid fucking sons of bitches I swear if I ever get ahold of them I WILL COMMIT MURDER. So, it's a shame, but we'll probably never get to experience the next set of adventures of Amaterasu and Issun. Sigh....

Nicholas Steel
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
yea, it's 50$ at ebgames but I decided on getting these 3 games instead >.>

Super Paper Mario - 49$ (+3$)
Super Mario Galaxy - 69.95$ (+5$)
Metroid Prime 3 - 64.95 (+5$)

I bought them through EBGames after getting them to price match JB Hi-Fi and also bought there scratch protection which was 5$ for every game above 50$ and 3$ for every game cheaper then 50$.

ShadowTiger
04-03-2009, 10:51 PM
No.

Go back and return at least Super Paper Mario. Get Okami instead. It's a longer game anyway.

Nicholas Steel
04-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I got 7 days to do that... ah the good things EBGames does for you.

Cloral
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't know why Paper Mario got reviewed as well as it did. It really wasn't that good.

DarkFlameWolf
04-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Indeed, Super Paper Mario was the weakest in the series, Okami trumps it by a long shot.

Modus Ponens
04-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Okay, I certainly do prefer Ōkami to most other games, but I must speak in defense of Super Paper Mario. I loved that game. I thought its dialogue was hilarious, and its gameplay was very fun.

Nicholas Steel
04-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Yea it is pretty win, especially the music. I'll probably keep it.

PEER PRESSURE BE DAMNED.

ShadowTiger
04-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I've played both, franpa. Super Paper Mario can be somewhat formidable in terms of its presentation and in its character, but once you play Okami, you -will- find it the indominable game, I assure you. It has more detail, more entertainment value, more class, more artistic worth, ... ... just so much stuff. It's like Ocarina of Time on crack, smothered in sauce, and served to you before or after sex.

DarkFlameWolf
04-05-2009, 08:34 AM
yes, it was hilarious, if you count old re-hashed jokes and gameplay dialogue reused from the previous two hilarious. To me, it was just stale.

Nicholas Steel
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
I haven't played a previous Paper Mario game. the last Mario game I played that had a experience system was Super Mario RPG on the SNES. The next game I may buy will probably be Mario Kart Wii as my mum and dad seem to enjoy it too :P (they never play computer games, aside from card games).

Warlock
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
I got this for Christmas, finally got a chance to sit down with it over the weekend. Great game, though not without its issues. I'm not a big fan of the Wii controls. The slash command for example seems to not register 90% of the time (and it's pretty essential to the gameplay). I read that using the Z-trigger can correct this (nice of the game to tell me -_-) so I will have to try that though. There also seems to be some kind of lag in Ammy's bite attacks that I can't figure out. It's difficult to pull off combos with them (and at the Dojo I learned the 4 combo technique and could only do it successfully about 10% of the time.. I have no idea what crazy timing they wanted, but I suspect the waggle is not very accurate).

I'm also a little miffed that I had to look up a walkthrough on GameFAQs because I was lost for a good two hours in the village. Apparently I needed to talk to the merchant trying to push the boulder, except the game is so anal that I couldn't get the command to do so to appear (it wanted to examine the boulder every time). After reading that I *had* to do that, I fiddled with it until I saw the "Listen" pop up. But that kind of pissed me off.

Also a little disappointed with the graphics. Stylistically, it's beautiful. But that paper filter ruins it I think. Everything looks muddy and washed out. I wish I could turn it off :( The FMVs are especially bad because you can really see the compression, which is a shame. They are about twice as washed-out looking as the actual game. I also am annoyed at the lack of a camera center button :( I look up (to draw a sun or something) and then have to hold the d-pad button to look back down to see in front of me.

Other than that though, it has been fun ;) The battle system is a little wonky but ok I guess. The story is cool though.

Aegix Drakan
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
The timing for the mirror is simple (but I too Had trouble with it at first)

The best way to do it is to swipe the wiimote left, then right, left, then right. Do so quickly, but with the briefest of pauses in between. It's hard to explain just with text, but, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

now SWORDS on the other hand....REAAAALLY hard to master. But if you manage to master them, you will be laying a smackdown like you've never seen before. Take it from me. They own when used right.

ShadowTiger
04-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I used the Rosaries for 98% of the game, with the Sword as the secondary weapon. I will admit that it was tedious, but it was a rewarding and sweet sort of tedious. I would do it again, yes.

(Warlock discussion on graphics)Really? The paper filter is actually less noticeable than on the PS2 Version. Interesting.

Warlock
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Really? The paper filter is actually less noticeable than on the PS2 Version. Interesting.

It's not that the effect necessarily looks bad, but it dilutes the colors terribly. That's probably on purpose, but it makes what should be an otherwise extremely colorful and vibrant game rather drab.

vegeta1215
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I think it's hard to even notice the paper filter on the Wii, and the colors on the Wii look very vibrant to me. The colors on the PS2 are the ones that look diluted due to the paper filter. The FMVs are straight from the PS2 version. You'll notice they have this white-ish look to them. That's the real paper filter from the PS2 in effect. Between the Wii and PS2, it's really a night and day difference.

I had very few problems with the controls. The only time I really had an issue with the Slash was when fighting Orochi, and that was because the timing requires you to be really really fast. I never used Z to help me draw straight lines. It is unnecessary, and imo actually harder. To do the slash command, instead of just swiping a line across the screen, try doing a quick dab, and then swipe.

btw, Glaives > Reflectors >>>> Rosaries. Seriously, Rosaries do pitiful damage. Double Glaives is where it's at. For those having trouble with Glaives, use them just like the Reflectors. The only difference is the spacing between swipes is longer.

Warlock
04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I suppose the graphics are not a Wii complaint rather than a complaint against the whole thing :P But maybe they wouldn't seem so "washed out" with the actual filter being more visible, I don't know. I just wish I could disable the filter, like how you can disable the stupid static crap in Mass Effect :)

It's also a real shame the game can't run at HD resolutions - I think it'd look so much better :)