PDA

View Full Version : wine linux

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 02:34 AM
I got timidity to work so I have music and I installed wine.

So I can play Zelda classic, the windows version on Linux. Everything works fine. Except that everything goes about 5 times faster than it should. Anybody know why?

Nicholas Steel
03-26-2009, 04:48 AM
push F1.

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 05:13 AM
I tried that and it does make the speed correct. But now the picture is all garbled. It's like every other frame it puts up the wrong pictures. The last map I was at is juxtaposed on top of my current map and incorrect sprites flash around everywhere.

I don't really understand how they did the VSYNC option. I mean if VSYNC is off it looks like they update the game internally by how much time has passed. By why can't it do the same thing if VSYNC is on? It looks like when VSYNC is on the game updates every time my video card draws a complete frame so the faster my video card is the faster the game runs. That doesn't make any sense to me, it doesn't have to be that way, does it?

Is there any way for me to turn off VSYNC and not have a garbled screen?

Revfan9
03-26-2009, 06:12 AM
The beta builds have Linux versions. They're usually a few versions behind the Windows one, but it works.

If you really, REALLY need 2.10 or newer, try looking at the debug info that wine puts out (hint: Run it from a terminal.) and see if you can tell of any DLLs or Winetricks packages you need.

You could also start a thread on it in the AppDB (http://appdb.winehq.org/), I'm sure the people there would be more helpful than the ones here (It seems you and I are the only Linux users here, and I haven't had your problems).

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 06:25 AM
I downloaded 2.10.2 for linux from that post above. I don't get any sound with it.

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Hey nobody gets sound with the linux version. And the window is really small. It shows promise though, it works good otherwise.

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Here's what my terminal said when I ran it in wine. (Are there source tags or anything for this forum?) It looks like wine wants to use double buffering but zelda classic wants to use triple buffering or something. I know exactly how my screen looks garbled now. There is always an extra Link that stays put where I was standing right when I hit F1 and the current map alternates frames with the first map that I exited. So right when I hit F1 an extra Link is plastered to the screen and he flickers like a ghost. Then as soon as I exit a map that map that I just left is forever flickering, alternating with whatever map I'm on now.

icecube@inferno:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ZC2.10$ wine zelda-w.exe
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps OpenGL implementation supports 32 vertex samplers and 32 total samplers
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_FillGLCaps Expected vertex samplers + MAX_TEXTURES(=8) > combined_samplers
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x8cf5f8,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_Release (0x1e1ca0) Device released with resources still bound, acceptable but unexpected
fixme:d3d:dumpResources Le
fixme:dsalsa:IDsDriverBuff
err:x11settings:X11DRV_Cha
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImp
l_WaitForVerticalBlank (0x
2590380)->(1,(nil)): Stub
fixme:dinput:SysMouseAImpl
_Acquire Clipping cursor t
o (0,0)-(320,240)
err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl
_SetupFullscreenWindow (0x
27d2f90): Want to change t
he window parameters of HW
ND 0x40028, but another st
yle is stored for restorat
ion afterwards
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceIm
pl_CreateSwapChain The app
requests more than one ba
ck buffer, this can't be s
upported properly. Please
configure the application
to use double buffering(=1
back buffer) if possible
ion afterwards
ion afterwards
_SetupFullscreenWindow (0x 27d2f90): Want to change t he window parameters of HW ND 0x40028, but another st yle is stored for restorat ion afterwards

Nicholas Steel
03-26-2009, 07:30 AM
http://shardstorm.com/

check build 946, it is the latest Linux version made so far.

Revfan9
03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Hmm...

Just gonna hazard a guess and say you need some of the native DirectX DLLs. Could be wrong tho.

Also, use [codebox] ;p

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Hey that newest Linux build works perfect, I think. To make it run and have sound I had to do a chmod for all users to read and execute on zelda-l. I don't know why.

Also I'm not sure if it can save games yet, I'm might have to do a chmod on sav.dat or something. But I think everything works fine.

I don't see why I had to do chmod though.

Revfan9
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
This is because most of the saner distros don't make anything executable by default, you have to do a chmod on it first for security reasons. So you just have to do a chmod +x zelda-l zquest-l to get it to work.

sav.dat, however, shouldn't need a chmod unless it's not writable by default for some weird reason.

Saffith
03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I think the problem with ZC in Wine is that it detects that it can use triple buffering (check allegro.log), but it actually can't. Try running it windowed - that does it for me, at least.

icecubeflower
03-26-2009, 08:46 PM
The wine version won't run windowed unless I make the window 320x240 and it still has the same problem even when I run it that way. (Not that I could play it that way without binoculars)

Now the sound quit working on my Linux version. That's weird, it was working a while ago.

Revfan9
03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Hmm... Any change in your system? Is timidity running?