PDA

View Full Version : Making Hurt Enemies Flicker Instead of Flash?

Questwizard88
03-25-2009, 03:20 AM
I know this is more of a suggestion, but I feel its something that ought to be there seeing as you can't use 8-bit enemy tiles without losing the flash when they're hit. I'm sure everyone knows about the "Invincible Link Flickers" rule. What I was wondering is if it would be possible to do something like this when you hurt an enemy, as with 8-bit tiles, it can't do the flashing. Basically, something along the lines of a "Hurt Enemies Flicker" rule or something similar. Would that be possible at all?

Dark Nation
03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Don't see a problem. Question is, how do you handle enemies that are already flickering? Make them flicker more slowly? Ignore the double flicker and let them flicker as normal?

ShadowTiger
03-25-2009, 07:36 AM
Can they flicker faster? Maybe animate slightly slower for the duration of the hit-stun?

Shazza Dani
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Maybe the flickering enemies should turn solid when they're hit… O:O:O:

Questwizard88
03-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah I'd just disable the flicker during a double case. That or make it slightly slower. Whatever way is easier to do works though.

Nicholas Steel
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Can they flicker faster? Maybe animate slightly slower for the duration of the hit-stun?
flickering faster would make it not flicker :P

Joe123
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
This could definately work well for an 8-bit tileset.

redmage777
04-04-2009, 02:46 PM
They could flicker between solid and translucent, couldn't they? The way a lot of things look when Translucent would come close to the look of flashing any way. Translucent, could flicker to solid.

Regardless of whether an enemy is Solid or Translucent, the Damage flicker sequence looks like this:
Default-> Translucent -> Solid -> Translucent -> Solid -> Translucent -> Solid -> Back to Default.

Nicholas Steel
04-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Don't see a problem. Question is, how do you handle enemies that are already flickering? Make them flicker more slowly? Ignore the double flicker and let them flicker as normal?
Make them flash?

Master_of_Power
04-18-2009, 07:38 PM
if you make them flash, and its an 8-bpp sprite set, you won't tell. Just make them solid.