PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos?

Link 101
03-22-2009, 11:49 PM
SOOOOO. I just got myself a new tattoo last night (3/21/09).

It's a calf piece of a straight edge monkey clubbing Jesus Christ and shouting DARWIN!

I also have an X on each shin, both have banners across the center, the right shin saying 'Stay' and the left shin saying 'True.'

So my question is, does anyone else have any tattoos? If so, what are they? Pictures? I will probably post pictures of mine another time.

Shazza Dani
03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
I have nothing special yet. Mainly due to lack of money… But I have two self-done tattoos that I did with a sewing needle.

I have the Eye of Horus on my ankle; it was originally just a weird looking eye but I altered it to look more like the Eye of Horus. It's pretty decent for a homemade tattoo. My other shit isn't worth describing, and it will be covered by something professional, eventually.

inb4 "tattoos are stoopit"

Beldaran
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
I think some tattoos look cool, but I could never get one because I would invariably change my mind and want something else. I couldn't commit to a tattoo.

Dechipher
03-23-2009, 02:39 AM
I'll eventually probably get a tattoo, depending on which way my career path goes. If I do, it'll be somewhere that I can readily cover up. I need to be prepared for all options.

odinson
03-23-2009, 03:33 AM
my brother started a tatoo on my leg, not finished though.

Masamune
03-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I'd like an octopus shitting out a pirate ship. Or vice versa. I can't decide.

Link 101
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
How about this Masamune, this dude I know drew up something called the "cocktopus." Use your imagination. You should get THAT shitting out a pirate ship. Ah ha ha ha.

jerome
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
I happen to have 4 tattoos. I've been waiting to get one again now for about 7 1/2 years though. 3/4 are tribal, sorry, I just like the designs.

My first one I actually drew one night while working at a Papa Johns. I got it when I was 19 and still not unhappy with it. It's between my shoulders. I don't know how big it is/was when I got it. I'm a bit bigger since then (I was only about 115lbs @ 5'7"), but it's for the better (150lbs with a goal of 160lbs).
The second one I drew as well, but the "artist"... well so he called himself, "F-d" it all up. Color bleed out, section of my back where the "tattoo" is feels like hamburger (not cold, sticky, and tastes good when cooked with ketchup up top), but my skin is rather scarred there. Same "artist" had done one on my neck about 2 days later and it was some chinese lettering... probably says "fried rice". In the Chinese-English dictionary I had found it in (before getting it) it said "one having a unique style". Now it probably says "That wasn't chicken".

Last one is tribal on my leg done by an actual artist. I don't mind this one either.

Pryme8
03-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I have two tattoos and am about to get more... I wana get my left sleve finished first!

Xyvol
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I think some tattoos look cool, but I could never get one because I would invariably change my mind and want something else. I couldn't commit to a tattoo.

That's why I like T-shirts. When you get tired of what it says you can take it off and put a different one on.

Archibaldo
03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I have a red maple leaf on the right side of my chest. I want to get more but it's hard thinking of things to get, plus, tattoos are expensive.

Pryme8
03-23-2009, 06:24 PM
tattoos are expensive.

not if one of your home boys owns a tattoo shop..

moocow
03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I have four tattoos. An ugly sun on my lower back (tramp stamp wut) that I'd like to get fixed, a faery on my right foot, a star pattern I designed on my left wrist and a peach that I also drew myself on my right hip. My best friend has the same peach on her shoulder.

I plan to get a red Mario grow mushroom on the back of my neck, and Bladen's name somewhere. I have other tattoo ideas that I want as well...

biggiy05
03-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I have Determination tattooed on my back from shoulder blade to shoulder blade. I'm debating on getting the firefighter's Maltese cross and star of life below my first one.

Lilith
03-23-2009, 08:28 PM
---

Beldaran
03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
May we hear the tattoo idea?

I want to get this on my right arm:

http://www.forrestkyle.com/rebsmall.jpg

But I know I'd hate it in 10 years.

Link 101
03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
not if one of your home boys owns a tattoo shop..

Exactly dude. My boy owns a tattoo shop, and I got my newest tattoo for 60 bucks, but it should have been at least 200. Ha ha, I'm lucky.

ShadowTiger
03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Probably because you're the least likely to sue if he messed up. :p You're basically a paid practice board.

Link 101
03-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Ha ha. Well the dude who owns it isn't an artist. He just hooks me up cause I'm cool, ha ha. The artist I got it done by is really awesome at drawing and tattooing. He drew what I got done right in front of me from his head. He tattooed me as well.

Shazza Dani
03-23-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.forrestkyle.com/rebsmall.jpg

That idea has defintely entered my mind, as well as other Star Wars-themed tattoos. I figure if I was crazy enough to get full-body tattoos, I'd go for a Sith type thing. Darth Talon style. O:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/3/3d/Talon.jpg/250px-Talon.jpg

The_Amaster
03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
If it wouldn't look bad to prospective employers, I wouldn't mind a bunch of random circutry down my entire left arm. Maybe similar stuff around my right eye, if that's even possible.

For something...hidden, I'd probably like something written in D'ni on my back.

Russ
03-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Personally, I fail to see the purpose of tattoos. You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design. I really don't see any reason for it.

biggiy05
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Personally, I fail to see the purpose of tattoos. You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design. I really don't see any reason for it.

No offense Russ but you're still pretty young and your opinion on certain things can and will change over the years.

With that being said. Do you know how a tattoo is done? You aren't mutilating your body to have it done. There are lots of reasons for getting a tattoo. Someone might get a portrait of a family member that passed away or of their first born. I might get a picture of my dog somewhere when she gets older. She played a big part in my recovery after surgery and I've had her since she was only a few weeks old. Some people get designs they sketched or a symbol that means something to them.

I had determination tattooed on my back because of things I was going through and about to go through. It was a personal reminder to keep pushing on and that I could make it through everything.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/biggiy05/DSCN10692.jpg

Three year old picture before my back cleared up. Blech.

ShadowTiger
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
EDIT: ( @ Russ: ) To some people though, that's like saying "Aww, why'd you mod your Wii? You ruined a perfectly good Gaming Console's Virgin authenticity."

It's art. You get to be a walking museum of pride.

I always wanted to ask - What sort of equipment do they use to tattoo a person, anyway? What is the nature of the electronics, if any?

biggiy05
03-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I always wanted to ask - What sort of equipment do they use to tattoo a person, anyway? What is the nature of the electronics, if any?

Google gave me this (http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art750.asp) for a result.

Beldaran
03-23-2009, 11:35 PM
You're basically mutilating your body to put on a design.

Does your mom have her ears pierced?

Did you know God invented circumcision?

People get braces to mutilate their jaws into a shape that is more pleasing to our society. God created you to have gnarled, often missing teeth. Humans have sinned by mutilating themselves to fix that.

Link 101
03-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Here's a few pics of my most recent:
http://i40.tinypic.com/qyy8eq.jpg http://i41.tinypic.com/296lxd4.jpg

Everyone likes it so far, including myself.

jerome
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
The original reason for circumcision was for cleanliness because we didn't bath but MAYBE once a few months. "Noble" families about once a month. The circumcision kept one from getting any infections down there. It had a purpose to it actually. Kind of like not eating pork originlly wasn't because God said we shouldn't, it's more to do because it would kill you if not cooked thoroughly. But it's tasty now ain't it?

Tattoo equipment is basically a solenoid that pushes a rod down until it makes contact that shorts the voltage away from the solenoid, so the rod goes back up. Since the voltage is still applied it starts pulling the rod back down immediately, thus repeating the process. How fast? Depends on the voltage. That "rod" is the arm that you connect the needle shaft to. With a speed of around 3,000 strokes per minute for line work. So if someone is doing single needle work, that's 3,000 sticks in you. Say if someone is filling in some tribal and using a 13-magnum needle setup (13 needles side by side instead of being packed in a circle) you end up with 39,000 tiny little holes in you in a minute. But as far as Russ' concern with "mutilation", a proper tattoo doesn't go below about 5 layers of your skin.

Russ, since I know that you are religious and all, I thought I'd let you know what my brother got since he's along your same path as well. He got this symbol that one way read LIFE and when flipped upside down says DEATH, with some writing that circles it. When read with the writing it says the following:
"The gift of God is eternal LIFE
The wages of sin is DEATH"
I thought it was rather cool since my brother really had no intentions of getting one until he had seen it, and then he said "I have to get that.". My friend Ramiro, who owns a tattoo shop, gave it to my brother for free. I wouldn't expect that from any other shops though, I've known the guy for about 8years, so...

Also, Russ, try to keep an open mind about some things that you find different that you encounter as you grow older. You don't have to like them to appreciate that some things will be for you and some things won't.

As far as the bible and tattoos are concerned, there are several things in the bible that points towards tattoos/permanent markings.
The most common one that people misquote to use "against" tattoos is in Leviticus... I think...
"Do not mark your body," the only thing is that that is only HALF of what is being said. The whole thing says
"Do not mark your body for the dead for I am the Lord.". The reason being is that people used to mark their bodies to ward off evil spirits, but God said you do not need these false markings if you follow me. Well, basically.
There's also a mentioning of somewhere that God has "all of our names written on his hand".
In revalations, though I was told and shown all of Revalations is extremely confusing from one sentence to the next, there is a scripture refering to the second coming of Christ that says:
"On His robe and on His thigh he shall have written 'King of Kings, and Lord of Lords'". I asked my brother about that one and he had me read a few sentences before and then after and then asked me what I thought it meant. I didn't have a clue after that. And neither did he, and he went to college to study it all.
There's also mentioning that the people/slaves that Moses saved were all marked as well, but I'm not sure of the details too much on that. What I mean is, did those people mark themselves to be marked as (sorry if this is wrong labelling) "the Children of Israel" or did the pharoah mark the all as slaves. Anyways, it's in there somewhere, I just am not sure of which scripture and such since I haven't read very much of the bible at all.

Sorry all if this seems off topic, but I think it fits into the whole tattoo category especially since it, being tattoos, was under scrutiny.
Now if you just see tattoos as "mutilating one's self" because you don't see/appreciate the art, and self expression, that a lot of it is, that's your opinion. Just don't condemn it because you'll have kids someday and they'll probably get it just in spite of you and it'll be something generally very tasteless just to dig the wound deeper to you. My mom actually laughed when I told her I had gotten a tattoo, she was like "no you didn't" since it was over the phone before I had gotten home.

Beldaran
03-24-2009, 01:26 AM
The original reason for circumcision was for cleanliness because we didn't bath but MAYBE once a few months.

Why didn't god also have them cut off their ears? Those get dirty too. Why didn't they shave their heads? Hair gets disgusting. They better pull out those teeth too, because without modern dentistry those things are just going to rot.

Better yet, why didn't god tell them to bathe?

Your logic fails.

Dechipher
03-24-2009, 02:20 AM
Why didn't god also have them cut off their ears?
Because ears aren't used in the act of procreation.

Why didn't they shave their heads? Hair gets disgusting.
See above.

They better pull out those teeth too...
Messed up dirty teeth are still quite a bit more useful than no teeth.

You're right. Because thousands of years ago clean water could be wasted on hygiene rather than survival. That would be a great idea...

Your logic fails.

Your narrowminded attempt to belittle someone who obviously put much thought into his post fails.

Shazza Dani
03-24-2009, 02:28 AM
Whether or not you think his attempt was a failure, circumcision is still stupid. But how's this for an argument—why did God create man with part of his body intended to be cut off?

Modus Ponens
03-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Well, shit, Sharon, why did God ever do any of the hundreds or thousands of things that seem downright illogical or at least ridiculous? Obviously, it was all to test our faith. Remember that before you ask such a silly question next time.

odinson
03-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Why didn't god also have them cut off their ears? Those get dirty too. Why didn't they shave their heads? Hair gets disgusting. They better pull out those teeth too, because without modern dentistry those things are just going to rot.

Your logic fails.

In ancient Egypt it was common practice to shave off all one's body hair and wear a wig for hygiene reasons.

Masamune
03-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Uncircumcised dicks look weird anyway.

Beldaran
03-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Uncircumcised dicks look weird anyway.

Your mom never seems to complain. :sly:

Masamune
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Not to you anyway. She said it might as well be a dog dick or something similar.

Lilith
03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
---

Beldaran
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
She said it might as well be a dog dick or something similar.

Well, she's the expert on that.

jerome
03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Your narrowminded attempt to belittle someone who obviously put much thought into his post fails.
Thank you.

Whether or not you think his attemp was a failure, circumcision is still stupid. But how's this for an argument—why did God create man with part of his body intended to be cut off?

Well, shit, Sharon, why did God ever do any of the hundreds or thousands of things that seem downright illogical or at least ridiculous? Obviously, it was all to test our faith. Remember that before you ask such a silly question next time.
I'm not going to go all DaVinci Code on this or anything, but a lot of these small trivial things was because MAN put them in there (debate about man writing the whole thing is for another topic). Here are some other "things" in there that don't make sense:
Men should NEVER cut their beard
Women should never wear makeup
If your brother dies, and you are not wed, you must marry his wife to continue to the family (or maybe to keep it in the family... hehe)

Anyways, back on topic...
I was just trying to point out some of the things that people misquote and such from the bible to justify that tattoos are "evil". Intent is what makes them evil. Personally, the Darwin yelling, Jesus clubbing monkey tattoo sounds funnier than the picture looks... to me. But I didn't choose it to be on me, but Link 101 thought it fit him, so good for him. He's expressing his beliefs loud and clear: Monkeys over Jesus (evolution over creationism)... and no drugs, alcohol, or tobacco. This person is not going to cave into peer pressure, basically. The idea originally was started from a really crappy song in the 80s by a punk band... it was pretty terrible. But the idea behind it was good and it stuck around. Do what's right for you. (Check out wickedjester.com and the Follow Your Own Path section for a pretty cool shirt that's the straight edge thing as well- or go clickety-> T shirt (http://www.wickedjester.com/thepath.gif) )

I don't think I've ever actually met/seen anybody that got a XXX tattoo on them, so that's cool that you did Link 101. And I've been around at my friend's tattoo shop for some years now. I've thought about getting one before, but I tend to like tribal stuff more than lettering (now). Although, there are some things that I've considered getting. Like the lyrics from a Rolling Stones song:
"You can't always get what you want"- it would be kind of a reminder to me so that I don't get down on myself when things don't go my way. I tend to do that a lot. When I say "when things don't go my way" I'm more meaning things that are personal, not like "I didn't get to watch what I wanted on TV" or trivial things like that. So the phrase would have more meaning than the song would for me.

Link 101
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omert%C3%A0 between my shoulder blades in black, non-gangsta but still trill text

So you want to get the word tattooed between your shoulder blades? Or is there like a symbol that represents it? It's sweet either way, in my opinion.

EDIT:
Jerome, I posted before I read what you responded with. It pleases me to see someone who knows how to respect others for their beliefs, ha ha. I suppose the concept of my tattoo DOES sound funnier than it looks, but regardless, it's still pretty funny, ha ha. As for the straight edge tattoos, I can't believe you've never seen anyone who has one. I see them a lot, but probably because I hang out with predominately straight edge kids. And yeah, Minor Threat wasn't that great of a band. I listen to them from time to time, but they're not anywhere near one of my favorite bands.

Tattoos are just what you make them. Some people get stuff that has no meaning whatsoever, and maybe the fact that it has no meaning means something to them. Trivial, I know. But so is our existence.

Lilith
03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
---

Beldaran
03-24-2009, 01:21 PM

He thinks god commanded us to cut parts of our sex organs off, and you think I'm the narrow minded one?

You're just too tribal/primitive to understand my intellectually superior position.

jerome
03-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it just isn't that big of a scene around KC, MO area. There are a lot of hicks and some wanna-be-gangbangers who think they are hard, but that's about it. And then there are some people who listen to a lot of rock. But the punk scene doesn't seem to be too big in this area.

I hope I didn't offend you on your beliefs. I can see from your signature that a lot of stuff I had added in could have, even though most seem to be pointing out stuff against the bible... which wasn't "exactly" my intent either. I guess more just awareness of ... stuff I guess.

Other's beliefs are interesting actually. As long as your beliefs are through self-education (your own research) and not just "following" the crowd, then I tend to respect people's opinions on that kind of stuff. This may sound kind of dumb of me on this next part, but what opened me up to this was when I was 19 I found out from a co-worker, who is Jewish, that Jewish people didn't believe Jesus to be the son of God. Which pretty makes up a lot of their religion as well as other stuff, but I don't know all of that. Since then I just find it interesting to here others beliefs on things. I had met someone who believes more in the Native American culture, and that was all kinds of cool stuff to learn.

Not to start a political/religious debate on this next example, but I have a friend of mine, that's like a brother to me, that is "die-hard Republican". When I asked him why, his response was "Democrats are stupid." His actual reason, when reading into other things he had said, was because they were the majority in Congress at the time. Everything that he argues for Republican points falls on deaf ears with me because all I hear is someone else preaching propaganda through him. He thinks he's political savvy. While my actual brother is also "die-hard republican". When I asked him why, he gave me many answers as to how he came to his decision. Some I agree with, some I don't, but it's still HIS research into choosing what he wants to be. So I respect his decision because it IS his decision. So if you choose to believe in God, not to believe in God, are a Buddhist, Wiccan, Pagan, worship cows for their awesome milk producing capabilities, or just believe in being a good person, I'm all for it. Want to be a Satanist, well... as long as you have your own reasons. Actually, I knew a guy that was back in high school. He was a pretty cool guy. He let me read from the Satanic Bible, which I found more humorous than follow-worthy. I guess it just has to strike your fancy, with whatever that may be.

I seem to be rather long-winded, don't I?

EDIT: Beldaran- Did I say ANYWHERE that I, Jerome, actually thought that God commanded us to "cut off our sex organs". No I didn't. I was just pointing out that people of that time changed things so that others would follow. I don't believe you need to "cut off your sex organs".
If you were able to comprehend an entire sentence instead of nit-picking words out to make you "think" that you are superior to others, because you can come up with smartass comments; then MAYBE you would've seen that I was just pointing out what others have clearly seen themselves that I was trying to say. My purpose was just to point out how people thought back then. But it seems to me that your entire goal just seems to be to egg things on to see if you can get others to follow your thinking. You remind me of a quote by Thorin:
"Those who lack the strength to be themselves are always trying to tear down those who do."

Basically, grow up.

Shazza Dani
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Satanism is actually a pretty reasonable belief structure. It just gets a bad name because, well, it literally has a bad name. People think Satanists worship Satan, which isn't even true.

odinson
03-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Satanism is actually a pretty reasonable belief structure. It just gets a bad name because, well, it literally has a bad name. People think Satanists worship Satan, which isn't even true.

Why not call it something else then?

Shazza Dani
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
One could argue that it's because of the symbolism of Satan, but personally I suspect has more to do with whiney ex-Christians trying to sound cool and defiant. Because honestly, I don't think anyone would want to call themselves a Satanist unless they were brought up around religions that taught Satan was bad, and they're dumb enough to label themselves as something different rather than breaking away from religion altogether.

It's also kind of condescending, but in an ironic self-depreciating kind of way. They want people to think they worship Satan so they can be like, "Haha, we don't believe in silly faerie tales, we just build a religion based on them!"

-_-'''''''

jerome
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omert%C3%A0 between my shoulder blades in black, non-gangsta but still trill text
Are you Italian, or Sicilian, or do you just agree with what it means? I'm just wondering is all. If you are, then I guess it's kind of a "where I come from" kind of thing?

If I were to have a tattoo design to show all of my ancestory roots it would probably be a small drunk windmill sailing down a river. (Irish-Dutch-Canadian French). I better just stick with tribal designs, they accent better.

Link 101
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a sill tattoo here and there! And it could always be small and somewhere that isn't shown often, like your mid-thigh or something.

jerome
03-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I just remembered a movie that anyone who's really in to tattoos should watch (also if you like piercings and torture, but I'm getting ahead of myself). The movie is STRANGELAND. Dee Snider (from Twisted Sister) plays Captain Howdy. While I won't give away any story to it, he has this kickass tribal tattoo all on his entire right side. On his left side, he has piercings and scarification. It's pretty cool looking. Oh, and did I mention there's torture stuff in the movie as well? Yep, some of which is squirm-worthy works of art. You just have to see it to know what I mean by that. The movie makes George Clooney's tribal tattoo in From Dusk Till Dawn look puny. Minus getting my face tattooed, I'd be all for the one side tribal thing.

Shazza Dani
03-25-2009, 12:04 AM
That movie sounds cool. O: *downloads*

Somewhat-related; anyone seen Red Dragon (from the Hannibal series)? The killer from that movie had a pretty sweet tattoo covering his entire back.

http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/images/cinema/red-dragon.jpg

Link 101
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
That is pretty sick! At first I thought those horns were real, ha ha.

jerome
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
I had forgotten about that movie, but yeah that one was pretty cool too.

Captain Howdy's face from Strangeland (http://iconsoffright.com/news/dee_strangeland.jpg)

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture of the whole tattoo, but it's pretty cool.

Link 101
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
That is sweet. I think if getting face tattoos didn't prevent you from getting jobs, I'd get some sweet ones.

jerome
03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
The friend of mine that own's a tattoo shop went ahead and got his face tattooed with some tribal on both sides. He said it was 4 hours of some intense pain. They took pictures of him after the line work, during, and when it was all done. From the timeline of pictures, you can just see how much it took out of him. He looked beat by time it was done.

Link 101
03-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I'm sure face tattoos can't feel too great. Especially around the eyes and whatnot. I heard from a friend of mine that tattoos on your head, like your scalp, don't hurt that bad, it just like, vibrates your head intensely.

jerome
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
You're right. The friend that got his face tattooed said your eyes start to water uncontrollably when yoiu get around the eyes area. He said he basically "cried" for over 2 hours straight because that's how long they watered.
A couple of friends told me what your's had said about the head vibration thing as well.

Link 101
03-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I have been contemplating getting something on my head, since I can just grow hair to cover it if I have to. I think it'd be cool.

Pryme8
03-30-2009, 02:47 AM
I sat in the chair for 8 hours one time... 8 and a half or some shit...

just to get my shoulder piece done in one sitting!

Now scaring/cutting/branding I think is retarded...

Shazza Dani
03-30-2009, 06:32 AM
I'm not really against the idea of scarification and branding, but I do think it tends to look bad. The process of getting it done is more fulfilling than the final result.

Link 101
03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Branding isn't that bad. Ha ha. I branded a shitty looking X into my forearm. It really didn't hurt that much at all to be honest. When it got INFECTED because I didn't take care of it, that's when it hurt.