PDA

View Full Version : 'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes

Prrkitty
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/16/mosquito.laser.weapon/index.html

Quote: Scientists in the U.S. are developing a laser gun that could kill millions of mosquitoes in minutes.

The laser, which has been dubbed a "weapon of mosquito destruction" fires at mosquitoes once it detects the audio frequency created by the beating of its wings.

The laser beam then destroys the mosquito, burning it on the spot.
----------------------------------------------------------

This could also work for flies and several other pests... maybe like roaches, fleas, rats, mice... etc.

I can also see this going SO wrong too. Like being taken to the far OTHER extreme and being used on things that DON'T need it to be used on. Unfortunately humanity knows how to screw up any and all useful things.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
"There is no such thing as a good mosquito, there's nothing that feeds exclusively on them. No one would miss mosquitoes," he said.

...that's gotta be the most foolish thing I've heard all week.

"In any case," he added. "The laser is able to distinguish between mosquitoes that go after people and those that aren't dangerous. What remains to be seen is how precise we can get."

Hey, Giant Asian Hornets kill people and melt their flesh, but still have an important role in nature, guys.

Beldaran
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
...that's gotta be the most foolish thing I've heard all week.

Wow, with all the evidence and well reasoned arguments you put forth, I can't help but agree with you*.

*not take you seriously

Shazza Dani
03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Fuck this shit. *hugs a mosquito*

Aegix Drakan
03-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey, Giant Asian Hornets kill people and melt their flesh, but still have an important role in nature, guys.

I would be delighted if you could tell me what that role is. I see no purpose for wasps in general, aside from being general annoyances.

Oh, and mosquitoes are VERY important. A lot of young birds, just learning to hunt, eat them and other practically mindless insects. This mosquito-B-Gone beam sounds like a good intention gone wrong. You want to keep the 'squitos away from your personal space, but you DON'T want to eradicate them.

King Aquamentus
03-17-2009, 08:17 PM
This mosquito-B-Gone beam sounds like a good intention gone wrong. You want to keep the 'squitos away from your personal space.

Trust me I hate these bugs just as much as everyone else, but hasn't science had a track record of changing their minds? (This isn't the true and rational world of math, science DOES make a lot of amendments to things throughout history.) First milk is good for you, then Milk makes you fat, then it's okay sorta, then this gives you cancer and then oh wait it doesn't.

...this just sounds a lot to me like back when national parks said wolves should be killed on sight, waaay back (like early 1900's). Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge laser enthusiast (half of my youtube watching experience is devoted to them), but if we start zapping mosquitos, even just the ones that go after us, what are scientists going to say in fifty years? Will we regret that decision? Let's just step into this realm responsibly.

Archibaldo
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
About goddamned time. This is a great idea. Now maybe they can start working on one of those "laser swords".

King Aquamentus
03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Eh, go ahead. Swatting mosquitos Jet-Force-Gemini style could be fun. :P

About goddamned time. This is a great idea. Now maybe they can start working on one of those "laser swords".

I think I got an idea on this, but in order to do it we'll need something mechanical at the tip. It might end up looking like a really big razor with the blade made out of energy.

Shazza Dani
03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
A beam-cleaver. ;D

King Aquamentus
03-17-2009, 11:03 PM
something like that. Light can't just contain itself into a sword/blade shape. something like that without emission and reflection from both ends would require some serious bending of light.

Skulkraken
03-18-2009, 06:52 AM
An automated laser turret...

Sweet.

Pryme8
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
that has got to be one of the coolest links you have posted concerning news...

The_Amaster
03-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I think I got an idea on this, but in order to do it we'll need something mechanical at the tip. It might end up looking like a really big razor with the blade made out of energy.
Beam Katana!
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/5/11/23/f_travisgm_c64f68e.gif

King Aquamentus
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
yeah, pretty much like that.

Aegix Drakan
03-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Beam Katana!
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/5/11/23/f_travisgm_c64f68e.gif

Hell yeah, Touchdown! :sly: