PDA

View Full Version : Naming Suggestion: Jump ==> Vz

beefster09
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
The name 'Jump' isn't really universal. It's an odd name for the variable, and not all objects with the property actually jump. Plus, it really doesn't make sense when it's negative- you're falling.

The only thing really: Vz doesn't make sense in sideview! So what else could we call it? VHeight? VVert (vertical velocity)?

pkmnfrk
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I say we keep it as Jump, for compatibility reasons.

That said, the objects that have the Jump property are Link, NPC and [e/l]weapon. Of those, Link and NPC are documented to be "positive == up, negative == down".

I don't know how the weapons, behave. If they behave the same way, it should be called Jump (and the docs tweaked to reflect this). If they behave like a Vz, then it should be called Vz.

Side note: Vz and Side view. That still makes sense, since if we look at it from Link's perspective, we've just rotated the camera 90 degrees, so that the Y axis is pointing toward the camera. In the topdown view, the Z axis is pointing at the camera (sort of).

Or, put another way, Link is always jumping along the Z axis. Just, in the side view, the Z axis happens to correspond with the screen's Y axis.

Joe123
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd like to point out that Jump is not Z Velocity, it's actually Z Acceleration.

And while it might make sense to rename it Az, it'd be a pain for everyone who's already using x->Jump in their scripts.

_L_
03-19-2009, 04:58 AM
The name 'Jump' isn't really universal. It's an odd name for the variable, and not all objects with the property actually jump. Plus, it really doesn't make sense when it's negative- you're falling.

It was originally called Fall, but I changed it (and negated its handling of values) because it was a bit odd having to describe how using the Roc's Feather subtracts from the Fall value. A case could be made for either possibility, though.

Side note: Vz and Side view. That still makes sense, since if we look at it from Link's perspective, we've just rotated the camera 90 degrees, so that the Y axis is pointing toward the camera.Yeah, that's.... that's not very intuitive, all things considered.