PDA

View Full Version : Now Playing: Madworld

Cloral
03-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Best use of Wiimote controls to date. Period. Case closed.

DarkFlameWolf
03-16-2009, 06:53 AM
So how's the rest of the game?

vegeta1215
03-16-2009, 09:16 AM
I picked it up on Friday. It's a lot of fun, and like Cloral said, definitely one of the best uses of the Wii-mote to date. I've beaten the first couple levels already - I think Rinrin was the last boss I fought (in Asian Town).

You basically beat up and kill enemies in crazy over-the-top bloody ways, and as you get more points from your kills, you unlock weapons found in these locked cabinets throughout the level, open up "Blood Bath" challenges (which are like mini games to get you more points), and eventually after you get enough points you can play the boss. I was confused about this last part at first. Once you get enough points to play the boss you can keep playing the level, or go to a marked location and ding this little bell to start the boss fight. Before I figured this out I was just wandering for a little bit, kind of waiting for the boss to show up, lol.

I heard the game is short, but it is a lot of fun. I've only played a few hours, and I have only gotten like one kill in the mid-level grade range. I don't know what in the world you need to do to get the hardcore and ultra violent kills. One of my favorites though (even though it's a simple kill), is tossing enemies onto the sushi rotary and watching the knives slice them up :D

Cloral
03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Vegeta summed it up quite nicely. The controls aren't quite as simple as say Wii Bowling, but are the best I've played for what would be called the 'hardcore' crowd. Nothing feels like gratuitous waggle. You can walk up to an enemy and hit A to punch it. Or you can swing the wiimote for a roundhouse punch. Or you can hold B to pull out your chainsaw then wave the wiimote to swing the chainsaw around. Or you can pick up a sign then walk over to an enemy and swing the wiimote downwards to impale the enemy with it. There's a funny moment with that early on in the game - the tutorial section has you put a tire around an enemy then stab him with a sign. One of the announcers says, "Tire and road sign? Isn't that ironic?" The other announcer says, "That's not ironic, it's fucking awesome. But that's an easy mistake to make.", or something like that. Anyway, thats only a few of the many many ways to take out your enemies. And to me, controls are far more important to a wii game than to games on any other console. Good controls can make what would've been an otherwise lackluster game, while bad controls can break a game that was otherwise solid. The graphics are also nice. They're not as amazing as many of the review outlets seemed to believe, but they work well. One thing I will say is this game definitely isn't for everyone. It is incredibly violent, and the announcers drop f-bombs all over the place. But if you don't mind that, you'll probably like it.

The_Amaster
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
No way my parents would let this in the house, but I'm considering renting it for my next all-nighter with my friends.

Looks like a game full of "Ooooh, dude, I can't believe you just did that. That was AWESOME" moments.

vegeta1215
03-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Yeah...this game is not for kids. I was atually surprised at how bloody it is, and how much the announcers curse. But it's funny as heck. While playing, my younger brother's jaw kept dropping at what he was seeing, cause he had no idea, lol. (btw, he's 24, so he's not a little kid)

AtmaWeapon
03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I usually like to use a lot of words to describe a game, but this one is just too good to spend that much time describing. Awesome.

vegeta1215
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
This game is awesome. It keeps getting better and better. I honestly think this is one of the best games made for the Wii, and one that really makes use of the controls in a good way.

I'm not finished the game yet, but the last boss in the "haunted house" levels was kind of easy. Nice rack on her though :D

AtmaWeapon
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually lately I find myself really frustrated with the game; some of the levels are really sparse on scenery. I'm on the castle, and the first level with The Shaman struck me as really kind of boring. It had grinders like everywhere else and hooks like everywhere else. The fountain glitched on me and I couldn't toss the last guy on it, the level froze twice, and apparently I swing too hard for the Wiimote to register so it took me 6 or 7 tries to beat it.

Frank's level is more of the same; many of the same elements dressed in a different outfit. Frank himself is extremely frustrating because if you fall in the water it's pretty much curtains.

I still really like the game, but it was more fun when I was in a foul mood. Now I just find myself needing to stab a guy with something and having to spend a few minutes backtracking to find a lamppost.