PDA

View Full Version : So how do Item Overrides work?

ShadowTiger
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
'lo all! I'm working a bit with Item Overrides, trying to get similar items with different behaviors (I.e. two different types of boomerangs as well as custom boomerangs with similar item-levels.) into the subscreen to be selectable simultaneously. I'm getting some weird behaviors here though.

I've included a test quest (http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/SubscreenItemsTest.qst) (Use the latest Alpha, 976.) Start the quest up. On the screen to your right when you start, you'll see a shuriken-like item. It's of the Boomerang Class, Item Level 1. It's supposed to appear in the subscreen beneath the Lens of Truth. (Oh yeah, give yourself all the items. :p ) Instead, it appears in the Boomerang Slot. There isn't a way to avoid this, is there? :-/

But then, on the screen to the south of your starting screen, you'll see a Chainsaw Sword thing. (Yeah, I'm wild like that. To be scripted later. <3 ) You pick that up, and it never gets added to your subscreen. Except it has been added to your inventory. There's a slot for it to the right of the Shuriken, beneath the Hammer. However, we don't even see it to use it until we also give ourselves -all- of the current variations of sword that exist. It's a level 2 sword

.. er .. also, while we're here, please, .. is there a way to animate those slash and stab and beam sprites yet? I got the Chainsaw sword's horizontal slash to animate, but the vertical sprites are the same horizontal sprites.

Shazza Dani
03-15-2009, 08:27 PM
>is there a way to animate those slash and stab and beam sprites yet? I got the Chainsaw sword's horizontal slash to animate, but the vertical sprites are the same horizontal sprites.

I think there's a quest rule that affects how projectile animations work. Don't take my word for it though… *flees*

sps999
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
hmm... I hope it's fine if I ask my own question...

How would you make it so you originally have the normal boomerang. Then you have the ability to upgrade the boomerang, to Fire and Magic. But, within any time during that process, you'll be able to get the MultiRang (Custom Item Class) and replace the Boomerang, but not be able to go the reverse way?

pkmnfrk
03-16-2009, 12:10 AM
To everyone:

1. The generic subscreen item slot will display the highest item level for that itemclass you possess.

2. If you collect a lower level item than one you already have, it will not replace your higher-leveled item

3. You cannot replace an item in one item class with one from another. I.e., your "Custom Itemclass 1" Multi-rang cannot replace your "Boomerang" Boomerang, regardless of levels.

3b. You could, however, in the collect-item script remove the old boomerangs. However, collecting a boomerang from that point would then give you the boomerang again. Designing your quest with this in mind might make this moot.

4. I do not know how having two items of the same item class and level might affect the subscreen.

CaRmAgE
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
.. er .. also, while we're here, please, .. is there a way to animate those slash and stab and beam sprites yet? I got the Chainsaw sword's horizontal slash to animate, but the vertical sprites are the same horizontal sprites.

This sounds familiar... (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104189)

After thinking about it for awhile, our only option might be to script the animation (by checking which direction Link is facing, change the sword tile, etc.). I'm not sure how to do this, though...

Shazza Dani
03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
"Quest -> Rules -> NES fixes -> Weapon Animation Fix" is the rule I was talking about. I don't know if it affects projectiles, I haven't tested it.

King Aquamentus
03-16-2009, 04:55 PM
It won't effect it.

Shazza Dani
03-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Hrm. Well I know (I think) at one point in one of the builds you could make projectiles animate properly in all directions, but perhaps they removed that for backwards compatability.