PDA

View Full Version : Using sword after secondary item (b967)

AmazingAmpharos
03-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Attempting to use the sword after using a secondary item but before moving Link at all causing the attempt to use the sword to fail. I've tested this with the Boomerang, Candle, Bombs, and Arrows; all have the same effect (catching a returning Boomerang does not have such an effect). I checked with the Zelda1 ROM just in case this was some crazy NES consistency thing; this behavior is not NES consistent and actually is a pretty major impediment to combat (especially when you are abusing the Stepladder and don't want to move at all).

As per a test quest, I have verified this works in 1st.qst though I suspect it occurs in all quests.

EDIT: I just noticed that cycling weapons with L/R or bringing up the subscreen also allows you to use your sword again. Also, to further denote the generality of the bug, I verified that it works with the Whistle and the Wand.

jman2050
03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I can't verify this at all. Combat works as well as it always does.

Dark Nation
03-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Are you running in Windowed mode or full screen? What keys are assigned to the A and B buttons?

AmazingAmpharos
03-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I was using the Alt key for B (and spacebar for A), and further testing suggests this is all caused by said Alt key. I tested it pretty thoroughly, and here's what I found.

Pressing Alt or Alt Gr while in Zelda Classic disables the Escape and Spacebar keys until any key other than Alt, Alt Gr, Escape, Spacebar, Left Control, or Right Control is pressed. This is independent of what actions (including none at all) are assigned to those keys.

I don't know if this is a problem on my end that isn't the program's fault or if it's something screwy within Zelda Classic with those keys. I suppose this explains how no one noticed this seemingly sweeping bug though.

Dark Nation
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
It's probably because the Alt key activates Windows menus so Windows takes over after you press it. Not sure if it's a problem with Allegro or just a setting that can be changed in Allegro. For now, you might want to assign the 'a' and 'z' keys to the B and A buttons.

Nicholas Steel
03-15-2009, 01:41 AM
can't you trap the ALT key and make it activate the ZC menubar?

Dark Nation
03-15-2009, 09:29 AM
What OS?

CaRmAgE
03-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Probably Vista, because it sounds similar to a bug I reported a while back (http://armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104194).