PDA

View Full Version : unemployment

Brasel
02-28-2009, 06:33 AM
Nationwide, the unemployment rate for veterans between 20 and 24 years old was 16 percent last year -- compared with a 9 percent unemployment rate for non-vets in that same age range. Overall, the nation's unemployment rate last year was 5.1 percent.

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/index.cfm/Page/Article/ID/6981

The page layout sucks, the rest of the story is at the bottom.

I'm still jobless and my pay is up this month.

*edit* Checked the time stamp on the article and its quite old, but it still seems true. I've not heard back from anyone in the past month. If I have, its from like, three obscure places that I barely remember applying to and all of them rejections. Best bet so far is a seasonal gig at Home Depot. I'm going to be unable to pay bills soon. I have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to do. Tera's still in school, and she doesn't have time for a full time job. Maybe I made a huge fucking mistake. So now what? I'm not even getting call backs from retail or anything like that. I can't support us on freaking minimum wage bullshit from Taco Bell or anything like that. I've talked to my dad about moving back in with him if I don't find anything soon enough...

I still haven't checked umemployment or whether I even qualify for that yet. I'm skeptical seeing as I'm drawing a reserve paycheck...but we'll see come Monday.

Pryme8
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
they want you to reenlist...

Lilith
02-28-2009, 07:13 PM
---

Aegix Drakan
03-02-2009, 08:30 PM
...yeah, for once I think Pryme is right.

I wish you the very best of luck, Anthony. A soldier come home from war should be able to come home to a brither future, not have the carpet pulled out from under them.

You set up computers and networkds and stuff in the army, right? You know, if it weren't for the recession, I think you could probably get people jumping over each other to get the networking guy who was trined in to do it in the military. You'd stand out because ex-mils are usually very disciplined people who can really get a job done efficiently.

Brasel
03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
...yeah, for once I think Pryme is right.

I wish you the very best of luck, Anthony. A soldier come home from war should be able to come home to a brither future, not have the carpet pulled out from under them.

You set up computers and networkds and stuff in the army, right? You know, if it weren't for the recession, I think you could probably get people jumping over each other to get the networking guy who was trined in to do it in the military. You'd stand out because ex-mils are usually very disciplined people who can really get a job done efficiently.

Thats what I was counting on. Poor timing on the economy's part I guess. ;)

Cloral
03-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Good luck man! It's a shame to see someone who served all of us get the shaft like this.

Brasel
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
well, it looks like I have an interview lined up. wish me luck

Prrkitty
03-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Sends you lots 'n lots of positive energy :) Good luck hon :)

ShadowTiger
03-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Very much. :) Where might you be applying?

Aegix Drakan
03-03-2009, 07:00 PM
:thumbsup

Good luck Anthony!

Brasel
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I think I blew it.

I interviewed with four different people for a job at Booz Allen Hamilton today. I did great on the first three. I was told I seemed like a good fit even before the interview was over. The last guy came in and drilled me with IT questions that I know very well, but I just crumbled. I answered all his questions, and didn't BS through them at all, I just came across very unprepared and not very confident. After the interview was over, they said they'd call me tomorrow with a decision. I went over the questions he asked me in my head and answered them all right away and much more in depth. My first interview and I don't think it went well. Hopefully something else will pop up soon if this doesn't work out.

Trevelyan_06
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I think I blew it.

I interviewed with four different people for a job at Booz Allen Hamilton today. I did great on the first three. I was told I seemed like a good fit even before the interview was over. The last guy came in and drilled me with IT questions that I know very well, but I just crumbled. I answered all his questions, and didn't BS through them at all, I just came across very unprepared and not very confident. After the interview was over, they said they'd call me tomorrow with a decision. I went over the questions he asked me in my head and answered them all right away and much more in depth. My first interview and I don't think it went well. Hopefully something else will pop up soon if this doesn't work out.

I think they're most likely looking at whether or not you know the answers. It also helped that you DID NOT bullshit your way through any of them. That would have caused them to toss you out like last weeks macaroni salad that someone forget to put back in the fridge. You know how that is, you open the cabinet only to discover that instead of putting some perishable item in the fridge you put it in the cabinet and now it's most likely sporting its own ecology?

Anyways, good luck man. I hope they give you the job. If they don't you wanna go dumb over all there garbage cans and poop on their front porch?

Brasel
03-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I can't believe it. I was the best candidate for the job.

I GOT THE MOTHERFUCKING JOB!

Prrkitty
03-11-2009, 05:04 PM
WOOHOOO!!! Congrats honey!!! You worried for nothin hon. Have some faith babe :)
<hug>

erm2003
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Awesome Anthony! Congrats and good luck with the new job! So what exactly will you be doing?

Trevelyan_06
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM

To be fair the other candidates where a watermelon and a lump of coal.

Nah, I'm just fucking with you, congratulations man.

Aegix Drakan
03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
That is totally awesome, Anthony!

Good on ya!

Dark Nation
03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Good job, man! :thumbsup:

Pryme8
03-12-2009, 01:33 AM
I just got a job at a dentist office... o_O yay.. i guess

Zaphod Q. IX
03-12-2009, 03:20 AM
I just got a job at a dentist office... o_O yay.. i guess
That should be interesting for you.

Dark Nation
03-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Be careful, dentists offices are dangerous places!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9T8i4FkNVo
:D

Cloral
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Good going man!

That guy who asked the harder questions was probably pushing harder than they really wanted for the job, so that they could get a good spread on the candidates. Like how on the SATs you can miss a fair number of questions but still do pretty well because some of the questions are designed to be so hard only the very best will ever get them right. In other words, you probably did better on that part of the interview than you thought.

Glitch
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Congratz Anthony!

Brasel
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be traveling the world with this job as well. I'll be working for Booz Allen, and subcontracted out to the Air Force. We're going to be migrating Air Force users from smaller, base controlled domains to bigger regional domains. I get to go to Japan, Korea, Turkey, England, Germany, Italy, Hawaii, Alaska, and other places across the U.S. Yeah, more military work, but its as a civilian and I'll be making a lot more than I was while I was in. I'm really excited.

Aegix Drakan
03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
That sounds totally awesome Anthony!

Modus Ponens
03-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Fuck yes! I have a friend who was in the Army, stationed in Gitmo as an Arabic interpreter. As soon as he got out, he went right back as a civilian contractor for like a year and a half. You go with what you're good at, and what you like doing; being a civilian, however, makes all the difference.

So, THREE CHEERS FOR ANTHONY!

Hip, hip...

Aegix Drakan
03-13-2009, 10:22 PM
HOORAY!!

:D Sorry, had to.

Modus Ponens
03-14-2009, 03:21 AM
(No, no, you're supposed to.)

Hip, hip...

Pryme8
03-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Be careful, dentists offices are dangerous places!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9T8i4FkNVo
:D

Yea a problem Ive noticed is I think our equipment came from this skit after they were done with it...

my doc is cheep

Brasel
03-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Had an interview last night and was offered the job today. I'm now working IT for Welsh Flatness and Lutz. I start Monday.

Pryme8
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
wow, nice one! Sounds official, what do they do?

Prrkitty
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
OHHHHH!!!! Enjoy the new job hon :)

Modus Ponens
03-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Wet Fatness and Lulz? Sounds rad. Good luck to you, my man.

Beldaran
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Wet Fatness and Lulz? Sounds rad.

It doesn't sound rad. It sounds like sex with Britney Spears.

Brasel
03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
They're an Insurance company. I'm working in the IT department obviously. And I don't have to travel.

biggiy05
03-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Congrats on the job.

On the note of unemployment. My unemployment claim was approved this morning. If my long term disability doesn't get approved I have this to fall back on. I cannot wait to be released back to find a new job.

Aegix Drakan
03-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Congratz there Anthony!!

On my end, I'm still holding on to my job. Im currently just walking in, and asking them to see if they can plug me in somewhere to replace an absent guy. Fun because I get to see many different games, and not have to work to hard since I'm only temporary. Not so fun because some of those game suck hardcore, and some teams ask (nay, DEMAND) that I produce work equal to that of a seasoned expert, even when I'm not even given the time to learn the damn controls!

gdorf
03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
Congratulations Anthony!

With the way the economy is going it looks like I'll be sticking around for Graduate school. Luckily I work for a research lab on campus that will pay my tuition and living expenses while I get my masters degree.

Dechipher
03-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Congratulations Anthony!

With the way the economy is going it looks like I'll be sticking around for Graduate school. Luckily I work for a research lab on campus that will pay my tuition and living expenses while I get my masters degree.

That's the way to go man.
I might go to graduate school as well, once I finally finish up my undergrad. It was a weird experience - we had our advisement meeting last week for enrollment next semester, and it occurred to me that while everyone else in my class was planning their senior year, I was planning my next three. A very odd feeling (for the record I'm a triple major, all three in music).
So if I go to graduate school, I will have spent 21 in school.

biggiy05
04-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Just to add to Anthony's thread.

I have a job interview tomorrow at 10am with MedCorp. They are a for profit, private ambulance, ambulette and are the only licensed fixed wing medical aircraft in Ohio. They have contracts with various hospitals in central Ohio and major hospitals like Cleveland. They are also first to respond on some medical calls.

I have to bring all my EMS certifications and CPR card tomorrow to the interview along with my social security card. I'm STOKED! :D

Lilith
04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
---

Modus Ponens
04-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Keep us posted, biggiy, and especially Lilith.

slothman
04-10-2009, 01:21 AM
...along with my social security card. I'm STOKED! :D

I have heard in many places that you are not supposed to keep your SS card on your person.
It might even be illegal for them to need the card itself.

Regardless though I hope you get it.

Beldaran
04-10-2009, 01:50 AM
I have a job interview tomorrow with a Domme. lol.

Can I watch this interview?

AlphaDawg
04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
I have heard in many places that you are not supposed to keep your SS card on your person.In case your wallet is lost/stolen it's always a good idea to keep your wallet as slim as possible... gee, I should follow my own advice, holy shit there's a lot of random crap in my wallet right now!

It might even be illegal for them to need the card itself.It's not required per se, however you are required to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work. For most people that's your driver's license plus Social Security card. A passport or military ID satisfies both requirements.

Identity theft prevention / HR spiels aside, good luck to all job seekers! There is work out there, you just have to look hard enough for it. Hell I was able to finally get back to work during this supposed recession.

biggiy05
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I have heard in many places that you are not supposed to keep your SS card on your person.
It might even be illegal for them to need the card itself.

Regardless though I hope you get it.

It's not illegal for them to copy the card itself.

The interview was rather informal. I dressed nice, filled out the paperwork when I got there and then went into his office for the interview. Sat on the couch, told him about my experience as an EMT, what I've seen in the hospital and learned to do. He told me about the company and turns out it's better than I thought.

They transport dialysis patients to terminally ill patients. They are first on scene for everything from chest pain to a full cardiac arrest. They travel all over Ohio and into neighboring states with critical patients. The fact that I'll be running "hot" as first squad on scene is great.

I was hoping to go right to 24/48 hour shifts but they give those to people based on seniority and who wants to move to the shift. I'll be working 10 hour shifts plus a lot over time. They are doing over 100 runs a week. He copied all my cards, is going to send for my driving record and once it comes back next week I should have a job.

Oh and Lilith try and be a more constructive troll. That post was lacking.

Lilith
04-10-2009, 07:03 PM
---

Beldaran
04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
You're training to be a domme?

[drowns in his own drool]

I would never let myself be dominated like that, but the outfits are fucking hot.

Modus Ponens
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
pix plz

Lilith
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
---

Beldaran
04-13-2009, 09:47 PM
they'll prob be on the internet soon enough if you know what I'm saying and I think you do.

You're saying "they'll prob be on the internet soon enough".

biggiy05
04-20-2009, 07:37 PM
HELL YEAH!

I got the job! I'm working four days on, four days off. 12 hours each day then I get four days to relax. This calls for a drink. Too bad I don't have any jack here.

Shazza Dani
04-20-2009, 07:41 PM
You should be drinking Cristal. Everything else is piss, or so I hear. <.<

Brasel
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
HELL YEAH!

I got the job! I'm working four days on, four days off. 12 hours each day then I get four days to relax. This calls for a drink. Too bad I don't have any jack here.

Sweet. Congrats man.

erm2003
04-21-2009, 08:47 AM
HELL YEAH!

Congrats on the new job!

Prrkitty
04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Congrats hon. This is one big step towards getting a place of your own. :)

HELL YEAH!

Aegix Drakan
04-21-2009, 07:15 PM
Good on ya!

Hope your new job goes great!