PDA

View Full Version : Zelda II Classic: Trilogy

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 04:37 AM
Zelda II Classic started as a remake of Zelda 2 in Zelda Classic, including smooth side scrolling, smooth overworld scrolling (4-way scrolling), Z2 enemies, Z2 spells, Z2 combat spells, towns, and so on. It is a remake with some tweaks and additions - but it should feel very much like the original.

None of this has changed except that Zelda II Classic will become a trilogy:

Zelda II Classic: Adventure of Link - the quest I'm currently working on, described above. See this thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104884&referrerid=166331) if you haven't already.

Zelda II Classic: Blood of Link - a direct sequel to Zelda 2 featuring an updated 16-bit like tile set, much improved overworld and free scrolling in sideview areas (scrolling like in Mario 3). It will feature a new story, new dungeons and tweaks to the overworld layout. Also the overworld will have all new tiles and will look much better (like a 16bit RPG). I talk about the story in the 5th post in this thread.

Zelda II Classic: World Tree - this one will be a bit different, but continuing the Zelda 2 time-line. This one will not take place in Hyrule, but within the "World Tree" of Norse mythology. Basically Zelda discovers that an evil force (not Gannon for once) is destroying the World Tree and subverted some of its inhabitants. If the World Tree dies, so does the world so Link must save it to save Hyrule (and the rest of the world). Using the recently (re-)acquired Tri-force of Courage, it is possible to teleport Link to the base of the World Tree but there is a catch - he must leave all his possessions behind, his sword, shield, everything but his clothes. This quest will feature Faxanadu style enemies and environments - but with 16bit quality graphics. This quest will also feature free scrolling sideview environments. But it will be different in that there is no top down overworld, but will still be very non-linear and open to exploration like (to a limited degree) Battle of Olympus and Metroid. And there will be ruins, towers and other such dungeons too of course.

Just to be clear, by "free scrolling sideview" I mean sideview scrolling in all 4 directions, not just horizontally or vertically. Like SMB 3 or Super Metroid. This allows for much more interesting sideview areas with more exploration.

So the plan is to finish Zelda II Classic: Adventure of Link first, then work on the last two simultaneously since they will share the same "tech."

Anyway, what do you think?

Moo2wo
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!That's the plan :D
Thanks for the comment.

Moo2wo
02-27-2009, 04:52 PM
By the way, do you have the tiles for the 16-bit version done? If not, I could make them. I'm taking a week off from my quest, so I've got plenty of time. I could make them similar to a BS-Zelda type thing.

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Tentative story plans for AoL2:

The name will be Zelda II Classic: Blood of Link

After awakening the Princess from her long slumber [at the end of Adventure of Link], Zelda and Link form a strong bond - Link even grows to love her. He knows that she is the Princess and is destined to rule the kingdom so he must put his feelings aside to work toward restoring Hyrule, but deep inside that love never diminishes.
The completed Triforce is sealed within the Palace where Zelda was once kept, along with Link's magic sword and shield.

Almost a year passes, the Golden Age appears to be returning. The monsters are gone and even old abandoned towns are rebuilding. The royal family's most trusted scholars continue to investigate the old prophesies and histories of Hyrule, looking for any dangers to this new budding Golden Age. Late one night they discover a single lost scroll, in an previously sealed cave in Northern Hyrule, that speaks of Gannon and how he may be ressurected. It had been previously known that if Link was killed in battle, Gannon's minions could spread his blood on Gannon's ashes to revive him. However they discovered that there is more to it then that. Any amount of Link's blood can bring him back - if it is obtained as a willing sacrifice - it doesn't even have to kill him...

Another year passes. On Link's 18th birthday Zelda suddenly is stricken ill with a deadly fever. Her doctor's do everything they can but still she becomes worse, day by day...
Link spends every waking moment with her, urging her to recover. On the fourth day Link kneels beside her bed and whispers "I would do anything to bring you back, I cannot live without you..." He stays, motionless, for several minutes and then suddenly turns - sensing a presence behind him. There stands one of the eldest of the kingdom's scholars. "Will you truly do anything? Even if it means sacrificing a part of yourself?"

Link's reply is instant. "Of course, anything."

The old man walks up to Link and pulls out a knife. "Be still, I will not attack you. I will draw your blood and put it within this vessel. Once that is complete read this." He hands Link a scroll. The old man makes a small cut on Link's arm and a few drops of his blood fall into the vial. Link reads: "I willingly sacrifice part of myself, my blood, so that Zelda may live." The vial begins to glow softly and Zelda stirs from her sleep. Link turns to thank the old man, but he is no where to be found... As he turns back to be with Zelda, several old men burst through the door, one of them fainting at the sight of Zelda awake. The eldest of the group looks upon Link with horror... "What have you done?!"

The princess fully recovers almost instantly. Several months pass... uneasiness in Hyrule grows as scattered reports of monster attacks begin to surface again.

"Princess, the triforce is gone!" yells a soldier, as he runs into the royal throne room. He falls to the ground in exhaustion with a look of terror on his face. Link, Zelda and a contingent of soldiers quickly travel to the Triforce palace, to find indeed the triforce is gone - with nothing left but dead guards and Link's sword and shield.

"Gannon cannot touch the power of your weapons Link and he cannot hold the Triforce of Wisdom and Courage so they must have been scattered by the Goddesses when Gannon took the Triforce of Power. You must retrieve them and destroy Gannon once again..."

So what do you think?

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
By the way, do you have the tiles for the 16-bit version done? If not, I could make them. I'm taking a week off from my quest, so I've got plenty of time. I could make them similar to a BS-Zelda type thing.I might ask for help at some point but I'm going to try making them myself first. The first quest, Adventure of Link, is a technical challenge - scripting smooth scrolling, collision, Z2 enemies, magic system, experience/level system, etc.. The second and third quests will have technical aspects to them too, of course (extending features) but are intended to be more of an artistic and creative challenge for me.

Moo2wo
02-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Do you have any videos of the new games yet?

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Do you have any videos of the new games yet?Not yet, I'm still working on Adventure of Link. I'll begin work on the latter two games when the first one is further along. I already know the scripting aspects are doable, such as the SMB 3 style scrolling, but I don't have any videos yet. The last two games are still in the planning stages as I work on Adventure of Link.

Out of curiosity, any comments on the story?

Nicholas Steel
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
And so begins the Blood of Link
except that line, great!

blue_knight
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
except that line, great!Ok, good. Thanks for the feedback. I removed the unnecessary line. :)

Moo2wo
02-28-2009, 10:37 AM
http://captainsnes.com/data2.html
Will they look something like the AoL Link in that picture?
Awesome story, by the way.