PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean 4?

Cloral
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Has anyone played it? I want to know if it is more like the abortion called Star Ocean 3, or if it is more like the older iterations of the game.

Flash Man
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I have been intending on purchasing this, however I still have a handful of games that I need to finish first. I tried to play Star Ocean 3, but I just could not get into it.

MottZilla
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Haha, I think it's funny that Star Ocean 3 is so hated. I have it but never played SO3. SO and SO2 were great games. It's a shame that after so many sequels they drive games into the ground. Guess you'll have to read some reviews.

Masamune
02-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Star Ocean 3 was the first one I played, and I couldn't get into it. I haven't touched 1 or 2 either. ;(

MottZilla
02-26-2009, 10:42 PM
You're missing out on why people say Star Ocean is awesome then. I highly advise trying 1 and 2 either on PSP or SNES and PS1.

Gleeok
02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
You people are insane. Star Ocean III was one of the best rpgs for the PS2.

The SO4 battle engine I've heard is modification of Infinite Undiscovery, Though I haven't played that yet, (Or any 360 game really) but I'm planning on picking up an Xbox soon since now I've got yet another good reason to.

Flash Man
03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
So far I like it a lot. I feel that the amount of text dialogue to cutscenes with vocal dialogue is a very close ratio. The battle system is very relative to that which I remember from Star Ocean 2. The item creation system seems more intuitive than the previous where you would build a random item from one specific item; now you develop recipes to create items with.

The only thing that I find inconvenient is the field camera controls, though this may just be something I need to get used to. I keep moving my right stick horizontally opposite of the direction I want the camera to move.

Cloral
03-02-2009, 03:32 PM
So the battle system isn't like SO3? I got the impression that it was from the one review I've read so far. The battle system was my main sticking point in SO3. Like Gabe said, I didn't enjoy deciding which two characters would get raped by lizards because their ai sucked so much.

Flash Man
03-02-2009, 03:52 PM
I played so little of Star Ocean 3, that I do not even think I entered the first battle. To me it seems as if the AI behind the players that are not chosen is intelligent enough to fend for themselves; the first boss battle the character I controlled was totally jacked while the other melee characters were doing just fine.