PDA

View Full Version : Fullscreen?

s2dve
02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm currently using build 956 to try to test and build some in zquest.

First of all, I have XP and service pack 3.
I just don't understand a couple things. The only way I can open the editor in fullscreen is using the launcher and I have to click the Use Classic Interface box for the launcher to work even then.
Anyone have any idea why this has just started happening in the last few builds I have tried?

Before these last few builds I never had a problem opening the editor.

If I remember right it started a couple of builds after Large mode was implemented.
And is it still fullscreen if you don't check classic interface box?
Also are there still commands you can put in to open in fullscreen?
The commands I used before don't work now.

redmage777
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
I have a problem like that too, but I can't get full screen or large mode to work at all. I too have XP service pack 3 and it doesen't matter how I start it, ZQuest will shut down If I try to use full screen. It started several builds ago.

Mods, Perhaps this should be moved to bug reports?

Dark Nation
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Try renaming or deleting ag.cfg and see if that fixes the problem.

s2dve
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
I deleted it and tried the zquest application file, all it did was open in large mode like it always did. The odd part is, if I click Ect., fullscreen is already checked, if I uncheck fullscreen, zquest crashes to my desktop.

But I can still open zquest with the launcher.

Also, anyone else having problems with the editor just freezing up at times? When I was using 928 nearly every time I edited a combo and clicked type or flag it would just freeze. I could eventually get out of the menu if I waited long enough and I managed to get the cursor on the cancel button before it would freeze again.
In 956 I can edit combos just fine, but if I go to shop types and click on a tab in shop data it freezes every time.
I don't have the latest and greatest computer, but a Pentium 4 2.80Ghz processor should be able to handle zquest shouldn't it.
I've upgraded this thing to a gig of memory and 250 GB harddrive.

Nicholas Steel
02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
use build 956.

s2dve
02-24-2009, 01:37 AM
I am using 956 as I stated in my first post. I was only referring to 928 as that was first build I had ever ran into this problem.

Now I'm noticing it freezing on other drop down menus as well.

Nicholas Steel
02-24-2009, 02:49 AM
928 was not when large mode was implemented and 928 had buggy tooltips that was causing crashes everywhere.

Dark Nation
02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
If you are running from ZC Launcher and there is an option for it, make sure that the scale is set to 1.

s2dve
02-24-2009, 07:17 PM
928 was not when large mode was implemented and 928 had buggy tooltips that was causing crashes everywhere.

Yes I saw that some were having problems with that build. I didn't have problems with crashes. 928 was were I started noticing freezes.

If you are running from ZC Launcher and there is an option for it, make sure that the scale is set to 1.

There are two options when windowed mode is checked, 2X and 3X.
Never saw a 1.

pkmnfrk
02-24-2009, 08:24 PM
There are two options when windowed mode is checked, 2X and 3X.
Never saw a 1.

Ha ha, good one!

No, seriously?

Try unchecking both 2x and 3x.

s2dve
02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Back to my original questions. Is there a reason I have to use the launcher? I mean, is it set up this way, so that everyone using XP has to use it?

And what is supposed to happen if I could open zquest with Use Classic Interface unchecked? Would that be in large mode? All I'm trying to do is understand this program a little better.

pkmnfrk, I have tried every possible combination of checking and unchecking 2x & 3x. I'm sorry if my explanations and questions are not very clear, but I'm still new at this computer stuff.

pkmnfrk
02-25-2009, 01:14 AM
If neither 2x nor 3x are checked, it's implied to be 1x.

Anyway, this is my shortcut command line for Zelda Classic:

<zelda exe> -res 640 480 big -fast -windowed

CaRmAgE
02-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Back to my original questions. Is there a reason I have to use the launcher? I mean, is it set up this way, so that everyone using XP has to use it?

Well, the alternative is using command line parameters, but not everyone understands those, and ZC Launcher is just easier to use.

And what is supposed to happen if I could open zquest with Use Classic Interface unchecked? Would that be in large mode? All I'm trying to do is understand this program a little better.

Yes, leaving that option unchecked will open Zquest in large mode.

s2dve
02-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks CaRmAgE at least now I know it's opening up in the right mode when I don't check Classic user inteface.
Is this command supposed open zquest in fullscreen when I put it in Properties after zelda- w.exe"?

-res 640 480 big -fast -windowed
It does not work for me.
It gives me an error message : The name C:\.....zquest-w.exe -res specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

CaRmAgE
02-25-2009, 08:32 PM
It does not work for me.
It gives me an error message : The name C:\.....zquest-w.exe -res specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

The parameters "-res" and "-fast" are exclusive to zelda-w.exe. Click here (http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/faq.php?q=13) to see a list of all command line parameters.

pkmnfrk
02-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks CaRmAgE at least now I know it's opening up in the right mode when I don't check Classic user inteface.
Is this command supposed open zquest in fullscreen when I put it in Properties after zelda- w.exe"?

It does not work for me.

In addition to what CaRmAgE said, the "-windowed" option will make it not fullscreen.

Also, ZQuest does not support different resolutions. If you use small mode, however, you can scale it to different sizes with "-scale _".

To make zquest launch in small mode, in full screen, make the shortcut properties look like this (including quotes):

"<path to zelda classic>\zquest-w.exe" -small -fullscreen

To make it use large mode, and windowed, do this:

"<path to zelda classic>\zquest-w.exe" -large -windowed

To do something else, feel free to mix and match the options.

s2dve
02-25-2009, 09:31 PM
-small -fullscreen

Hey thanks, that one works. In all the time I have been looking for one that worked.....this is the first time I ever saw this one.

pkmnfrk
02-25-2009, 10:22 PM
All ZCL does is launch the program with the appropriate command line, so I used Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) to see what the different tick boxes did.

s2dve
02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Very cool, it looks a little like task manager.

As far as these freezes I'm having. Would you think the allegro log would show anything or would zquest have to crash to show something?

I have tried the shop data dropdown menu in windowed and large mode and it freezes in both of them too. In windowed mode the freezes don't seem to last as long for some reason.

pkmnfrk
02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
As far as these freezes I'm having. Would you think the allegro log would show anything or would zquest have to crash to show something?

I dunno, does it show anything?

s2dve
02-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I haven't even looked, because I would have no idea what to look for.

All I know about the log is, it can be used to figure out problems.

Nicholas Steel
02-26-2009, 02:31 AM
do weird dotted lines appear slowly around the boxes while they are frozen?

s2dve
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
No dotted lines, it looks like a screen shot. Only you can still see the curser. Most of the time I can sit and wait for the freeze to quit and then after I move the mouse or scroll for a second or two it freezes again. It took a while but I did finally manage to edit that shop,

There have been several when I've had no choice but unplug this stupid thing. I figure if after 10 or 15 min it was still locked up, it's not going to come out of it on it's own.

Nicholas Steel
02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
run it in a window and have Windows Task Manager open and check out CPU usage while using ZQUEST and see if anything consumes 100% CPU resources or lots of memory etc.

s2dve
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I tried it in windowed mode and as soon as I click on that tab my CPU usage is at 100% and it stays there till I finally get the tab closed.
Zquest was the only thing I had running.
The memory seems to remain about the same.

s2dve
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know what changed in build 967, but so far no freezes.

Yeah!