PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi to start using real sugar again

rock_nog
02-21-2009, 03:59 PM
http://www.bevreview.com/2009/02/09/pepsi-throwback-mountain-dew-throwback/

It seems that Pepsi will soon be releasing "Pepsi Throwback" which uses sucrose instead of high fructose corn syrup. I, for one, think this is awesome - both because of the health concerns over high fructose corn syrup and because let's face it, it just tastes better with sugar. Though I'm personally more of a Coke man, myself, and I hope Coke makes a similar move.

Modus Ponens
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Hear hear! And I also hope that Coke follows suit.

The_Amaster
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Indeed. Finally, people are starting to take HFCS out of their products. I mean, its in most breads for crying out loud.

rock_nog
02-21-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah... Perfect example of why the government should not meddle in the free market. See, HFCS is used because it's cheaper, but it's cheaper because of corn subsidies and tariffs on sugar cane. You can thank the corn lobby for that. But I also saw something about Snapple choosing to stop using HFCS, too, so hopefully this trend is going to start turning around.

deathbyhokie
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Though I'm personally more of a Coke man, myself, and I hope Coke makes a similar move.

You're welcome (http://www.seriouseats.com/2007/05/costco-is-selling-mexican-coke.html)

For other sugar soda versions, there's also my favorite (http://www.dublindrpepper.com/). Good luck finding it though.

AtmaWeapon
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I've had Mexican Coke (it's all over Austin) and I can't really taste a difference, oddly enough. It's good to hear of at least a few companies reducing it.

Do note that this isn't Pepsi making a change of heart, it's considered a different flavor. To me, Pepsi's really bad about releasing a new flavor every few months and discontinuing it quickly. Also Pepsi's way too sweet already.

phattonez
02-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah... Perfect example of why the government should not meddle in the free market.
You did not just say that.

Lilith
02-21-2009, 08:28 PM
---

Cloral
02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I stopped drinking soda a year and a half ago. Don't really miss it. When I did drink soda I preferred coke over pepsi because pepsi just tasted sweet, while coke actually has a bit of a flavor to it.

rock_nog
02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
You did not just say that.
Hey, I've always been anti-establishment, man. It's just my approach that may sometimes be a little misguided. See, being anti-corporate, I thought the government was the only thing that could challenge their power. Not that I like the government either, but you know, it seemed that I could play one against the other to minimize the power either group exerts. More and more though, recently, I've come to realize that corporate power IS government power, that these greedy corporations I hate so much are actually using the government to further their activities.

Actually, this whole HFCS business was a real eye-opener, in that regard. At first, I was like "Damn corporations, pushing this shit on us because it's cheaper," but then I started to dig a little deeper, and then discovered the reason that HFCS was cheaper, that it was the corn lobby's influence on the government that was responsible, not that HFCS was actually cheaper to produce.

Not that I'm suddenly going to ditch my dirty liberal ways overnight - I still believe there are some areas in which only government intervention can secure our rights. But nah man, I've been trying to explain - I do believe individual liberties come first, it's the method of securing those liberties over which we've disagreed.

phattonez
02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
You sound like you're starting to come to the true liberal side.

Surprising as it may sound, big business loves big government. Big government invariably destroys the competition.

rock_nog
02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I'll never join you! You killed my father!

Beldaran
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
In Waco, you can get real sugar Dr. Pepper because this is where Dr. Pepper was created. As far as I know, Waco, TX and Dublin, TX are the only places in the world where you can get it.

phattonez
02-22-2009, 12:41 AM
That sounds great and all, but why would you want to drink the putrid stuff?

Masamune
02-22-2009, 01:02 AM
Beldaran, remember that time I helped you find your phone? Send me original Dr. Pepper plz.

Beldaran
02-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Beldaran, remember that time I helped you find your phone? Send me original Dr. Pepper plz.

hahah, so you're calling in your favor, eh?

Ok, if you PM me your address I'll post it everywhere. *cough* I mean, send you some. Are you allowed to mail drinks to people?

Masamune
02-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Probably. This is America, you're allowed to do damn near everything and anything. Gays and Jews are allowed to live here, and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to mail beverages.

Rijuhn
02-22-2009, 02:10 AM
That sounds great and all, but why would you want to drink the putrid stuff?

Man, I love Dr. Pepper. It's one of my choice beverages when playing video games. I would love to get my hands on variations, and especially the original recipe.

Dr. Pepper makes me want to play video games and video games make me want to drink Dr. Pepper. Also, I enjoy the various Mt. Dew flayburz (flavors) especially the blue ones...mmm...berrry....whenever I'm playing video games or watching a movie.

Pryme8
02-23-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.jonessoda.com/

they have been doing pure cane for a while...

I personally don't drink sodas unless there is alcohol in it... JUICES REPRESENT!

phattonez
02-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Man, I love Dr. Pepper. It's one of my choice beverages when playing video games. I would love to get my hands on variations, and especially the original recipe.
I don't understand it. With food, yeah, it's okay, but alone it's just awful compared to pepsi or coke. Mr. Pibb on the other hand, now that's some good soda.

Beldaran
02-23-2009, 02:10 AM
After being a total junkie, I haven't had a soda in 2 months. I feel way better.

Revfan9
02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Hey, I've always been anti-establishment, man. It's just my approach that may sometimes be a little misguided. See, being anti-corporate, I thought the government was the only thing that could challenge their power. Not that I like the government either, but you know, it seemed that I could play one against the other to minimize the power either group exerts. More and more though, recently, I've come to realize that corporate power IS government power, that these greedy corporations I hate so much are actually using the government to further their activities.

Actually, this whole HFCS business was a real eye-opener, in that regard. At first, I was like "Damn corporations, pushing this shit on us because it's cheaper," but then I started to dig a little deeper, and then discovered the reason that HFCS was cheaper, that it was the corn lobby's influence on the government that was responsible, not that HFCS was actually cheaper to produce.

Not that I'm suddenly going to ditch my dirty liberal ways overnight - I still believe there are some areas in which only government intervention can secure our rights. But nah man, I've been trying to explain - I do believe individual liberties come first, it's the method of securing those liberties over which we've disagreed.

Patents Apple Copyright RIAA Infringement Libertarian Piracy DRM Microsoft Bittorrent TPB IsoHunt Canada IP Sweden Nokia Finland Qt GPL 1984 London NewSpeak Goodthinker Unperson

</obligatory>