PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Good Bar - Too many bad bites.

ShadowTiger
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I just heard a story on the news (http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=4226712&cl=12126407&src=news) where a family bought a few Mr. Good Bars (http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/mrgoodbar.asp), shared them for Valentines day, and discovered living insects within them.

Employees at the store they bought them from checked their remaining stock, and discovered not a small amount of similarly insect-filled candy bars.

I went downstairs and relegated the story to my father, who replied with "This is interesting... I remember buying a Mr. Good Bar once, and it also had worms in it."

It was then that I remembered opening one up in late Elementary School and finding wriggling things in it. :shakeno:

What the hell, man... I sure as hell aren't buying these, much less even looking at them.

Beldaran
02-21-2009, 12:23 AM
Mr. Shit Bar

Cloral
02-21-2009, 12:42 AM
I was trying to remember what a Mr. Goodbar was, so I did an internet search. Turns out it's just a Hershey bar with peanuts in it.

Then again, you probably already knew that.

At least that's not as bad as a Chunky, which is a Mr. Goodbar plus raisins. No thank you.

ShadowTiger
02-21-2009, 12:45 AM
In line with this thread:

"There aren't any raisins in a Mr. Chunky bar. o.o "

firebug
02-21-2009, 01:57 AM
Mmmmm... Protein.
Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9OTPXbXUA

ctrl-alt-delete
02-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Love Mr. Goodbars...never had any worms in mine...

Haven't eaten one in about 10 years though. :(

MottZilla
02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
I've eaten alot of Mr Good Bars, none of them had any insects in them. Maybe it has something to do with where you live and thus where the bars were made. Food safety sure is a hot issue these days.

Dechipher
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Shit. That's in Oklahoma.
Wtf.

Who buys Mr. Goodbar for V-Day? that's classy...

Manwich
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
i still would have eaten it. worms are good for you.

ShadowTiger
02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I can't help but agree with your statement, (Or at least think somewhere deep in my mind that I .. should?) but I am also obviously highly repulsed by the merest notion of doing such an act, and my mind races to equate it with eating, say, compost? Mulch? Most of the contents of a post-season's ending potted plant?

rock_nog
02-26-2009, 11:14 PM
The problem is not so much the worms themselves, disgusting as that is, as it is that if sanitation conditions at the plant that produced the candy allowed worms to be included, God knows what else might make it into the chocolate bars. If they're paying so little attention as to not ensure that the candy doesn't have bugs in it, it's a reasonable leap to assume they may also not be doing such a great job at preventing harmful bacteria from getting into it.

Shazza Dani
02-26-2009, 11:24 PM
It's against my moral beliefs to eat bugs.

rock_nog
02-26-2009, 11:50 PM
And yet you have no qualms chowing down on plants. Plants have feelings, too, you know! *sigh* I just don't understand the logic of deciding that it is wrong to destroy some organisms to sustain one's life, but embracing the destruction of others for the same purpose.

Shazza Dani
02-27-2009, 12:00 AM
It makes sense when you don't have the mindset of "this thing is just like that thing!"

You see, a fig is not a cow. I can eat a fig and not eat a cow, and the world doesn't explode by my defying logic. Cows are not figs, therefore logic has not been defied.

ShadowTiger
02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Buffalo aren't cows, so logic hasn't been defiled by comparing things to cows. But when you compare living things to living things, well, ... then you're going into the realm of hopefully not consciousness, but the more expressive ability to respond to stimuli. Plants don't respond nearly as well as Cows do, so how do we know they're sentient and can feel pain or acknowledge their own pending demise by machete or teeth?

Shazza Dani
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Yes, you could say plants and animals are both living things, but that falls under the flawed assertion that "this thing is just like that thing."

Now, there are some people, my beloved Jains, who do treat plants with a higher regard than most people do. They don't eat plant roots, as harvesting them means killing the plant. Because remember, you don't kill an entire tree just to harvest its fruit, right? There are plenty of plant-based foods that are harvested without destroying the entire plant.

Pryme8
02-27-2009, 12:12 PM
would that not be a law suit?

Beldaran
02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Because remember, you don't kill an entire tree just to harvest its fruit, right?

Isn't picking fruit like plant abortion?

rock_nog
02-27-2009, 01:27 PM
But a lot of plants actually want you to pick their fruit. Kinda disturbing, really, but the whole idea is that you eat the fruit, and then crap out the seeds somewhere else, using you as a way to transport the seeds and spread them around. When you think about it, the fact that fruits are sweet and delicious is basically an advertisement saying "Here, eat my babies!"

Cloral
02-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Isn't picking fruit like plant abortion?

No. Picking fruit is part of the plant's normal reproductive cycle. It's sorta like reaching the third trimester.

Pooping the seeds into the toilet where they can never germinate is the abortion part.

Modus Ponens
02-27-2009, 03:43 PM
No. Picking fruit is part of the plant's normal reproductive cycle. It's sorta like reaching the third trimester.

Pooping the seeds into the toilet where they can never germinate is the abortion part.

It's not abortion, it's contraception.

odinson
03-05-2009, 03:39 AM
I seem to remember hershy's moving their production to mexico last year putting a large number of americans out of work. I hope they go out of bussiness