PDA

View Full Version : Worker injured when hand gets caught in machinery at city plant

Deviance
02-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Yay something interesting happened at where I work =D

An assembly worker suffered serious injuries early Thursday morning when his left hand became trapped in a piece of machinery at Suscon Plastics, 600 Railway St., city fire officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched to the plastic bottling company about 2:40 a.m when the 21-year-old employee's hand became struck in a large plastic blow molder, city Platoon Chief Jeff Cole said.

The machine is at least eight feet high and about eight feet wide and could weigh as much as 20 to 30 tons, Cole said.

The victim, whose identity was not released, was conscious but in pain as firefighters worked to extricate him from the machinery.

"We had to cut apart sections of the machinery with hacksaws in order to free his hand," Cole said.

While the extrication was taking place, paramedics administered intravenous fluids into the injured worker in order to stabilize his medical condition, Cole said.

Cole said the extrication, which took about 30 minutes, was tricky and challenging because emergency responders had to work in a very confined space.

Once the man's hand was freed from the machine, firefighters followed paramedics with the victim to the Williamsport Hospital, where rescue workers continued to cut away plastic from the man's hand, Cole said.

A medical helicopter from Geisinger Medical Center in Danville was ordered to the emergency room in order to fly the victim to the Montour County trauma center.

No information about the man's condition was available Thursday night.
Source : http://sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/522691.html?nav=5052

Basically on 3rd shift last night. A worker decided to play super man and put his hand in the machinery to clear out a jam up while the machine is still running. A lot of lulz ensured. Basically he was being an idiot. I have no remorse for the kid. He can say goodbye to his hand also.

Modus Ponens
02-13-2009, 06:17 AM
He minus well say goodbye to his hand also.

Well, I'd call that an eggcorn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn).

On topic, that sounds like the kind of thing I'd feel really tempted to do, but (thankfully) never have the guts to attempt.