PDA

View Full Version : [946-]Fullscreen Palette/Crash Issues When Starting from Windows Explorer Window

Questwizard88
02-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Alright I don't know if anybody will be able to reproduce this behavior or not, but its happened on 4 computers so far, and has been around for quite a long time. If I double click the executables in my ZC folder from within Windows Explorer, and either start in fullscreen or go into fullscreen after starting in windowed mode, and click something like the menu bar, cSet 0 goes all wacky, and I've tried every possible method to take a screenshot of it, but the screenshot comes out pure black minus a couple things sometimes. I'll have to snap a picture with my camera once I get it working batteries for it. Also, I can't try going back out to windowed mode afterwords in the player, or I crash with the "has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error. ZQ also crashes occasionally, but rarely when I do that.

All I know is that I never have this problem when Windows Explorer's closed out and I use my dock icons to start them. I used to have the same problem a LONG time ago with Winamp 2 also, and it was very annoying, because it actually saved the screwed palette into the quest file on me a couple times back then if I saved after the glitch occurred.

I still wonder if anybody will be able to figure out this one, and why it does that. Good luck.

Nicholas Steel
02-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Colour issues may be because you use something like a File Indexing Service, crashes are likely because you are not running Zelda-w.exe @ 800x600. ZQUEST in large mode, runs at 800x600 by default iirc.

The crashing when switching video modes while either program is open is a bug in allegro and won't be fixed by the ZC devs.

Questwizard88
02-09-2009, 03:27 AM
I do know for a fact that the indexing service thing is totally disabled. Hmm... It seems to not have the palette screwups as long as I stay out of the thumbnails view. I guess Explorer and ZC/ZQ/Allegro really don't like each other very much. This is basically what it looks like on me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK-Qukux0cM
Even the Allegro example/demo programs screw up after 1 second and go totally black on me, so it looks like its an Allegro bug or something after all.
This laptop also hates DirectDraw with a passion or soemthing, because just about anything that uses it (Incl. Allegro) blows up somewhere, even stuff like Game Maker 5 won't work right.

Looks like i'll just have to avoid starting it from there, because I tend to keep explorer locked in tunmbnails view since I do a lot of graphics work, and trying to remember what's what by filenames is not fun.

Nicholas Steel
02-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Google/Download HijackThis and post the log it generates. It does look like something is interfering with the palette of both ZC and ZQuest.

Questwizard88
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Here we go. It's attached. I can't find anything nasty anywhere, and I already know about the mental ray one missing, and that's because I uninstalled Max and it crashed before it finished the uninstall completely, so I had to manually remove everything it left behind (guess Autodesk can't write a proper uninstaller), and that's all that won't delete from the registry.

I can't seem to find anything that would interfere with it anywhere other than using the thumbnails view in explorer when I start it, and I know Winamp 2 used to cause it on one of my old computers because they used palettes for the skins.

Nicholas Steel
02-10-2009, 01:43 AM
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Miranda IM\miranda32.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TSVNCache.exe

none of these seem neccesary for your computer to operate, try closing them one by one with ctrl-alt-delete or MSCONFIG until the problem goes away... come back here if none of these are causing the issue.

Questwizard88
02-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Killed em all and it still blew up from thumbnails view, but worked just fine as soon as I went off thumbnails view to another one. I'm quite sure thumbnails view is the problem.

Dark Nation
03-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Seems to be a Windows problem. Moving to Limbo.

Nicholas Steel
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
On second thoughts, the problem is likely related to Explorer.exe in Vista. bizarre things happen when it is not present/present under Vista when playing Worms Armageddon (another PC game).