PDA

View Full Version : Goddammit

Dechipher
02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Okay.
So I've hit 6000 posts
and 8 years here.
Holy shit.

Does no one else find it ridiculous that I have spent the last 8 years consistently coming to an internet message board?

In reality, communication is communication. Regarding the anonymity of the internet, suspension of disbelief must be a large part of the communication process. Not only are the standard handicaps in place as all text-based communication (lack of facial expression, vocal intonation, etc.) but there's the addition of having a lack of intimate contact. Most of the people you encounter on the internet you will never meet in person. This encourages people to act in a way contrary to who they truly are.

I would like to say that I have been pretty true this whole time. I was definitely a dumbass in my earlier days, and I still occasionally have a random dumbass moment, but on the whole I have become a fairly worthwhile individual, I feel.

To me, this hasn't been a waste of time. Because I generally react in a manner similar to how I truly think and react, I have experienced personal growth from interacting on these boards. To me, communication with another human is communication, regardless of the medium.

So here's 8 years. And 6000 posts full of words that chronicle my growth and development as a human being.

Cheers.

firebug
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Cheers! I rather like the majority of your posts, and am glad you've stayed on so long.
I post somewhat erratically, so have not been able to build any real relationships with the people on these boards. I do however, respect the majority of the people here and the ideas they postulate. It's nice to have a group of people intelligent enough to bounce ideas off of, and I'm happy to say you've been an integral force keeping these forums up and running, along with a few other posters.
So once again, Cheers to 6000 more posts!

erm2003
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Congrats on 6000! Time sure does fly doesn't it? May will mark 5 years since I joined AGN. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I stumbled upon ZC.

So a toast for Dechipher... to 8 years and many more!

rock_nog
02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't blame ya for sticking around. As you pointed out, there are a lot of handicaps to communication over the Internet, and as a result, it can take a bit longer to really get to know people than usual. All the more incentive to hang around a place for a while.

Personally, I wish I could remember how long I've been around, but unfortunately, I've changed usernames, and I don't think my original profile even exists anymore, so all I've got to go on is that I remember a thread about Dubbya's first inauguration.

ctrl-alt-delete
02-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Congratulations, man.

When are we going to get drunk together to celebrate?

Prrkitty
02-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Congratulations sweetheart. I first met you in SE and cherish the many memories of all of the times we all spent BS'ing and hangin together.

Thank you for being a part of that memory :)
<hug>

Dechipher
02-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Congratulations, man.

When are we going to get drunk together to celebrate?

Isn't next Saturday Valentine's day?

ctrl-alt-delete
02-04-2009, 03:40 AM
Isn't next Saturday Valentine's day?

Fuck Valentine's Day.

Let's get drunk.

Deviance
02-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Fuck Valentine's Day.

Let's get drunk.

I'm with him. =D

XMuppetSB
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Congrats on the big 6k, Dechipher. :)

Modus Ponens
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Congratulations, Dechipher! To commemorate your 6000 posts, I challenge you to compose a piece that has 6000 notes.

Nicholas Steel
02-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Congrats on the big 6k, Dechipher. :)
QFT!