PDA

View Full Version : Any Atari fans here?

firebug
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
A couple of years ago I went on a 2600 kick. Bought myself a heavy-sixer and a shitload of old-school games.
Then I discovered the 2600 homebrew scene. The things these people are doing with it's dated hardware are amazing! It reminds me of some of the ZC quests that used to be released where the code was just pushed to it's limits to allow new gameplay.
So I pulled out my Phoenix (portable 2600) my Krokodile Kart (2600 flash cart) last night, and battled some 'Astar' for roughly 4 hours.
I miss the fun, challenging games that used to be sold. Now it's all graphics graphics let me tell you a fucking story (which is fine, for certain types of games).

Anyone here have any interesting 2600 hardware or some good memories involving said console?

Shazza Dani
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
When I was a kid I played Atari 2600. Adventure was my favourite game for a long time. I heard about a fan-made sequel to Adventure but I never tried it. One day maybe I'll try to find it on an emulator or something. Hopefully it's out there on the webz.

firebug
01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
When I was a kid I played Atari 2600. Adventure was my favourite game for a long time. I heard about a fan-made sequal to Adventure but I never tried it. One day maybe I'll try to find it on an emulator or something. Hopefully it's out there on the webz.

There are a couple of them. Adventure is relatively easy to hack, so many people have made 'sequels' and other games based on the Adventure 'engine'.
But if you have (or can acquire) a 5200, buy this one:
http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_35&products_id=334
AFAIK, it's the only 'true' sequel coded from the ground up. It's fucking phenomenal!

edit: I doubt the rom is available, although you maybe able to do some digging around and find it. I'm pretty sure the author would like to make some $$ off of his coding.

Shazza Dani
01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah, that's the sequel I was thinking of. I don't own a 5200, unfortunately.

MottZilla
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Sorry, but I think Atari 2600 is garbage. Now Atari 5200 or the related Atari 400 and 800 personal computer systems were decent. But really to me, anything less than the NES isn't worth playing. It's just where I draw the line.

firebug
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Sorry, but I think Atari 2600 is garbage. Now Atari 5200 or the related Atari 400 and 800 personal computer systems were decent. But really to me, anything less than the NES isn't worth playing. It's just where I draw the line.
Blasphemy!

A huge majority of the software released for the 2600 was 'shovelware', but there are some true gems hidden in all that shit.

MottZilla
01-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Feel free to point some out. I mean I've seen some of the games and they are just horrible. Like the 2600 Pac-Man.

firebug
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Ick. That's some shovelware for sure.
Pitfall 1 and 2 are awesome,
Adventure is fun, especially with the randomization in game 3,
Warlords,
Frogger,
Q*bert,
Venture,
Escape from the MindMaster,
Obviously the graphics are nothing to swoon over, but they're fun.
A lot of the AtariAge homebrew games for the 2600 are simply phenomenal. There's just too many to even try to list.

AtmaWeapon
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I liked food fight, river raid, and pitfall. Most of the other titles grandma had were pretty cruddy. I had a cruddy job for the school district a few years back and some days we basically did nothing, I had a notion I'd get into the 2600 homebrew scene, but the whole "not having an idea for a game" thing stopped that after I got a few things running.

KingOfHeart
02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
When I was real young, I liked being baby sat my this old couple because they had an ATARI for me to play. I still remember playing jumpman and even though I did not play well, I still really enjoyed it.

Not really a fan though anymore, just don't see how you can play these types of games over and over, except as an arcade game.