PDA

View Full Version : Too Much To Play!

Cloral
01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I've got way too many games I'm playing right now to give each one much attention:

Wario Land
No More Heroes
Fallout 3
Pure
Skate.
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Team Fortress 2

Some of these I haven't even played at all in weeks (No More Heroes I haven't even taken out of the packaging yet). So my point is, if you're sitting at home, thinking there's nothing to play, go take a look at some games you might have missed when they first came out. There's a lot out there that's worth playing.

Dechipher
01-16-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm playing Diablo II right now.
:D
I revived it for my 18th Century Counterpoint class.

The_Amaster
01-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Heh, yeah, I'm working on
Sonic Unleashed
Mega Man 9
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Hotel Dusk
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
and Geneforge 3

I hope to pick up de Blob soon as well.

Modus Ponens
01-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I've got

- Final Fantasy V Advance
- Chrono Trigger (DS)
- Aquaria
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
- Super Mario RPG
and
- Final Fantasy VIII

on my plate. It's too much and I don't give much attention to a lot of them right now. But, that's usually how it goes.

AtmaWeapon
01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Fallout 3
Disgaea DS (at least 100 hours left hooray!)
Chrono Trigger DS
50-75% of the new Tales of Symphonia

Not to mention games I haven't bought yet that I want to play:
Burnout: Paradise
Oblivion
Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Dead Rising

Yep, I wouldn't really mind if they just didn't release any games this year.

Modus Ponens
01-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Yep, I wouldn't really mind if they just didn't release any games this year.

I pretty much feel that way every year.

MottZilla
01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
There's alot of games I could play too. However the only ones I've been that interested in lately are Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2 (somewhat). Other than that like usual I'm always playing old games.

vegeta1215
01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Some of these I haven't even played at all in weeks (No More Heroes I haven't even taken out of the packaging yet).

I'm curious to hear what you think of No More Heroes. I haven't played it, but from watching friends play, and reading about it as much as I have, I think it looks terrible, and that it may be way overrated.

Has anyone played Chrono Trigger DS? I was thinking of getting it so I have a portable version of my favorite RPG, but I think the new translation, and omission of famous lines from the original translation would really really bother me, and possibly ruin the experience for me. Thoughts?

MottZilla
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Buy a PSP, install custom firmware, play CT on the SNES emulator. ;) Problem solved.

Dechipher
01-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I have CTDS. I hadn't really ever played it before, so maybe my opinion isn't valid, but I dig it. It's fun, and there's not really anything about it that bothers me.

ShadowTiger
01-17-2009, 05:16 PM
We're lucky that we have this problem. It's a good state of things, really. We (Probably) won't be too bored when at home for a year or so.

I've already finished Fallout 3, and (Unfortunately) Bioshock. I'm thinking of modding the hell out of Fallout 3, and going in one more time. Maybe even take a crack at the GECK. I normally love mapmaking, but I generally like to have some idea of what the finished product will look like when I'm done, so...

I also have a joyous little game, "Anno 1701" that seems to have captured my interest for the moment. It's a nice mix of Civilization, Caesar III, and Age of Empires. Oddly addicting.

Another play-through of Warcraft III is currently being concluded. I'm up to the Founding of Durotar campaign. I'm giving some sort of consideration to reproducing Elwynn Forest in the map editor for the hell of it.

Ultimately though, nothing can break me from WoW. I'm too heavily engaged in the server I'm on, because I'm one of the few people who can fix any of the bugs that crop up. I'm making new stuff all the time, and it's incredible fun.

Modus Ponens
01-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Has anyone played Chrono Trigger DS? I was thinking of getting it so I have a portable version of my favorite RPG, but I think the new translation, and omission of famous lines from the original translation would really really bother me, and possibly ruin the experience for me. Thoughts?

I've played through most of it now, and I love it. I did play it before, but I'm always in favor of a fresh, new translation free from grammatical errors and interpretive mistakes. The original translation was pretty good, but this is better.

Gleeok
01-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I've got

- Final Fantasy V Advance
- Chrono Trigger (DS)
- Aquaria
- Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon
- Super Mario RPG
and
- Final Fantasy VIII

on my plate. It's too much and I don't give much attention to a lot of them right now. But, that's usually how it goes.

How the hell can you go back and forth between playing six different rpgs at once? :odd: You deserve some kind of award or something. I've been playing Disgaea this last month (finally picked it up) and am probably about, oh, 1/100th of the way through it. When does it end?!?!

Cloral
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
How the hell can you go back and forth between playing six different rpgs at once? :odd: You deserve some kind of award or something.

I'm the same as you Gleeock. I put Tales on hold while I go back and play through Lost Odyssey. I could probably handle both at once if I wanted to, but I prefer to take them one at a time.

Modus Ponens
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, okay—let's not be unclear, here. Right now, whenever I get the opportunity to play some video game, I always reach for my Game Boy Micro loaded with Final Fantasy V. When I finish it, I'm going to go back to Chrono Trigger. Occasionally, while at my computer, if the spirit so moves me, I'll play an hour or so of Aquaria, but it's a little less common. As for Chocobo's Dungeon, SMRPG and FFVIII, I haven't so much as touched them for at least a month or two, but I know where I left off and I'll be able to dive right back in when I get around to it.

The layers of this onion, for those who care about this slice of my psychology, go like this: I started with Aquaria when it was released something like a year ago—nay, longer than that. Then I restarted FFVIII like eight months ago. Then I bought SMRPG for the Wii's Virtual Console when it was released maybe three months ago. Then I picked up a copy of Chocobo's Dungeon about a month later, and then I got CT about another month later, and then I got back into Aquaria when they released the widescreen version (that I got for free, having already paid for the original version), and then I got back into FFV.

And this is neglecting to mention Dragon Quest VIII, which I left unfinished, and Final Fantasy XII, and Radiata Stories, and probably a host of other titles that aren't coming immediately to mind. Like Rogue Galaxy. I'm constantly starting RPGs, playing for a while, forgetting where I am, restarting, getting really close to the end, starting something else, going back to the first one, starting over again, and so on. It's very rare for me to actually finish a new RPG.

Archibaldo
01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I have a hard time handling two games at once. I usually buy a game, play the hell out of it and then go back to playing an older game until a new one come out that I want. If I have two games I tend to neglect one and when I beat the one I'm focused on another one comes out and I don't ever really get around to the one I neglected. It's kind of an internal psychological barrier that prevents me from blowing my budget on video games. I tend to get one every couple of months.

AtmaWeapon
01-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Dragon Quest VIII, which I left unfinished

Just get a Game Shark and put in the infinite HP code. It's not really infinte but it's a lot, enough to get you through the final boss with a sound strategy.

I couldn't take the hours of grinding metal king slimes to actually legitimately beat the game and I was ready for the ordeal to be over. The ending made me very happy, probably one of the best endings I've ever played. All I will say is I'm completely satisfied with the fate of the main characters.

MANDRAG GANON
01-20-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm curious to hear what you think of No More Heroes. I haven't played it, but from watching friends play, and reading about it as much as I have, I think it looks terrible, and that it may be way overrated.

No More Heroes is quite good, it falls short in alot of departments though. The overworld is pointless and unnecessarly large and the graphics are sub-par other than it's an interesting style. What it lacks it makes up for though, the Boss fights are the main point and they do quite well at keeping you on the edge of your seat most of the time as well as being incredibly interesting. All the characters are bizarre as hell. The controls are one of the best parts and manage to keep you feeling a part of the action constantly.

You have no idea how satisfying it is to simultaneously chop off 12 peoples heads at once.

It's like a B-movie basically.

Another good factor is it's cheap as dirt, I can find the game around here for 12 bucks so I mean its worth a try if you've got a Wii.

In terms of games I've got to play I'm completely swamped. I think last I counted of all the games I own I've still got to beat well over 100 and maybe 20 or more I haven't even started yet. I'm never going to catch up.

Darth Marsden
01-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Currently playing through Jak II for the PS2 (Just earned 200 Orbs, now I get to play through Hero mode, yay.) and, when I can summon up the will, I'm bouncing between the time trials on Tomb Raider Anniversary (again - freakin' reformat) and just surviving the original Splinter Cell, both on PC.

I have lots of games, most of which I've never finished. I'm gonna try and crack through them this year though. Not buying any new ones at all, unless TR Underworld comes out for a tenner. Which it won't. Anyway, wish me luck.

Another thumbs up for No More Heroes. Another one of those games I never finished, though it was awesome while I played it. Aforementioned flaws apply - the town is utterly pointless and exists only to extend the period between missions, and some of the missions can get a little samey. Still, the main boss fights are awesome, the retro style graphics couldn't have touched my heart more and there's just... something about about it that keeps calling to me. May go back to it at some point.

Cloral
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Just get a Game Shark and put in the infinite HP code. It's not really infinte but it's a lot, enough to get you through the final boss with a sound strategy.

I couldn't take the hours of grinding metal king slimes to actually legitimately beat the game and I was ready for the ordeal to be over. The ending made me very happy, probably one of the best endings I've ever played. All I will say is I'm completely satisfied with the fate of the main characters.

Did you get the better ending, or just the normal one?

AtmaWeapon
01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Did you get the better ending, or just the normal one?I have no idea; I didn't know there were two. I'll have to check an FAQ to see.

*edit* If the "better" one requires beating that new dungeon, then no. I'll watch it on Youtube because I can't stand the thought of going through the battle sequences again.

Gleeok
01-21-2009, 02:39 AM
I saw the good ending. :)

It turns out that Munchie is really a.... and that The hero is...... and that..... :rolleyes:

Cloral
01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
*edit* If the "better" one requires beating that new dungeon, then no. I'll watch it on Youtube because I can't stand the thought of going through the battle sequences again.

Aw, but that was the fun of the good ending. You had to work your way through the dungeon to earn it. That was really one of the things I really liked about DQ8. Instead of having some extra dungeon where the reward was a sword you'll never use because you just beat the most difficult thing in the game, the reward is that they resolve the unanswered questions from the main story. That's the way all RPGs should handle it.