PDA

View Full Version : Display issues in Windows 7 :/

Anthus
01-16-2009, 01:52 AM
Copied from my post on CZC...

Okay, so, all versions of ZC work just fine on Windows 2000. I know people have various problems with running them on Vista, and I have some display problems with 7. Technically, it is nothing crippling, but the background colors are all messed up. For example, when playing a quest, text shows up as red as opposed to white, or whatever. So. Isn't there some compendium somewhere of solutions, and setting for getting ZC to work on newer OSes? I've seen threads around, but maybe this would be a good place to post links to troubleshooting ZC on newer platforms?

2.10 works fine in windowed. I haven't tried any other versions yet. This is a bit off topic, but I also need to know if there is a way to change how the system reads a hard disk. See, I have an External, and on 2000, it is read as F because it is read as removable. Well, Windows7 reads it as a HDD, so it shows up as E:/. So.... this messes up every single ZC directory ever, and I basically need a way to tell Windows7 that it is external so it'll show up as F:/.

... and, I know, right? Why not just stick with Windows 2000? Well, I like aesthetics >.>

*b*
01-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Do realize Windows 7 isn't technically out yet, so there's an extremely low chance this will be addressed before 7's release. Besides, this might just be on the OS's end, and could be fixed upon it's completion, so there's really no reason to fix it now

Nicholas Steel
01-16-2009, 05:13 AM
I may have a solution to this problem, just wait a few minutes while I test it out. Are you familiar with batch files?

Nicholas Steel
01-16-2009, 05:23 AM
place this in a TXT file, change the file extension to BAT, place it in your Zelda Classic folder and then double click it. It closes all instances of Explorer.exe while the game is running, then restarts Explorer.exe once the game is closed. This fixes your colour problem for Windows 7.

@echo off
@echo ================================================
@echo Welcome to Franpa's Zelda Classic Colour Fix! v1.00
@echo Simply place this BAT file into your Zelda Classic folder and execute it instead of the games EXE file,
@echo this will close all instances of Explorer.exe then start the game, when closing
@echo the game, Explorer.exe is reloaded.

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
Zelda-w.exe -fast
Start explorer.exe

Anthus
01-16-2009, 12:44 PM
place this in a TXT file, change the file extension to BAT, place it in your Zelda Classic folder and then double click it. It closes all instances of Explorer.exe while the game is running, then restarts Explorer.exe once the game is closed. This fixes your colour problem for Windows 7.

@echo off
@echo Welcome to Franpa's Zelda Classic Colour Fix! v1.00
@echo Simply place this BAT file into your Zelda Classic folder and execute it instead of the games EXE file,
@echo this will close all instances of Explorer.exe then start the game, when closing
@echo the game, Explorer.exe is reloaded.

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
Zelda-w.exe -fast
Start explorer.exe

Testing this out,. If it works, you are officially awesome :o

EDIT: Wow, it worked. Thanks.

Do realize Windows 7 isn't technically out yet, so there's an extremely low chance this will be addressed before 7's release. Besides, this might just be on the OS's end, and could be fixed upon it's completion, so there's really no reason to fix it now

Yeah, I did send Microsoft a thing saying that some fullscreen programs, and programs that effect resolution mess with the system's colors.

I changed "zelda-w" to "zquest-w" and it also works for ZQ. Awesomeness. Do you mind if I quote you on another forum?

Nicholas Steel
01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Do you mind if I quote you on another forum?
nope.

If you want to know why it happens, it is because Windows 7 overlays the Taskbar over the active window (don't know if this is intended for Windows 7 or if it is a bug), thus messing up any 256 colour dithered rendering engines.

Anthus
01-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok. I hope they fix it in later builds, or give users the option to have the task bar overlay apps.

cbailey78
01-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I can't believe Windows 7 is in the build now! Time sure goes way too fast that Windows Vista era just went by! I am only on XP!

Nicholas Steel
02-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Ok. I hope they fix it in later builds, or give users the option to have the task bar overlay apps.
You mean the option to NOT have it overlay over applications...