PDA

View Full Version : DO NOT DOWNLOAD BUILD 935!

Dark Nation
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
There seems to be a quest-corrupting bug in it that changes (and locks, apparently) some values in your quest. Hopefully, DD can remove the link to the build soon.

Luckily, ZC has an autobackup feature that everyone has, on a regular basis, been told to use. So, if you already downloaded this version and your quest got corrupted, just let us know and we can walk you through the steps to restoring from a previous backup.

ShadowTiger
01-15-2009, 11:09 AM
This only strengthens the opinion that ZC's Developers have some of the strongest general character of anyone that I know. It must be purest hell to delve face-deep into ZC's murky, Japanese tentaclebeast-filled code, and see what's wrong with it, knowing full well what it could do to peoples' hard work.

I salute each and every one of you amazing folks. **Appropriate emoticon here**

Godspeed.

Joe123
01-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Sorry =(

Dark Nation
01-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Don't be so quick to take the blame. You aren't the only one who contributed to that version. Besides, I'm fairly certain that each of the developers (including myself) has, at some point, written and released quest-corrupting code. Although, as the newest coder, your official title *is* "Scapegoat", just like each new dev before you. :p

So, don't sweat it. This is exactly why we implemented autobackups a long time ago and constantly warn people to use them and/or backup their quests manually.

Joe123
01-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok well, hopefully no harm's been done.

Dark Nation
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I just skimmed over the code at lunch and it looks like what you wrote to save and load that extra variable in the quest file was correct. I'll have to examine it some more tonight when I get access to the code again.

Revfan9
01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
...It's all _L_'s fault!

Dark Nation
01-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Actually, I can't reproduce the bug. Can anyone else?

Elmensajero
01-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Actually, I can't reproduce the bug. Can anyone else?

If it is in the bug listed in this thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1204601#post1204601) then yes, I can reproduce it. And this bug is really odd. I started out using a quest I hadn't messed with since build 819. Going straight to Init Data in build 935, the key and rupee data was ALREADY changed. Something is going on when loading it. I changed the data, saved it, and then went back to it without closing ZQuest. The key max data was screwy again, but the rupee data still showed as the value I changed it to. I then closed Zquest and tested it in ZClassic, and for some reason rupees wouldn't increment the counter (even though I looked at it AFTER saving and it was still whatever I set it to, so somehow the max was still 0.) Next, I opened it in 819, and the data wasn't screwed up at all! Everything was as I had originally set it. (The subscreens, unfortunately, did become permanently set to the first available choice, though.) And playing the same quest in build 819, rupees DID accumulate!

To summarize the long paragraph above, I think that ZClassic and ZQuest loads the rupee and key part of Init Data incorrectly from the quest file, since using an older build shows the values that were actually saved in there.

The subscreen bug is prob unrelated. Another bug I noticed in build 935 was that if you give Link an item in Init Data, go to a different page ("Level Items", for example) and press ok, then go back to Init Data, those items will be unselected. If you leave the page on the equipment page, the values are saved, and if you select all the boomerangs for example, then go to amulets and change to a different page before selecting ok, the amulets will be unselected (since they were the last thing highlighted on the equipment page) but the boomerangs will still be selected.

Anyways, I hope this post helps you out, Devs. If you still can't reproduce this bug for some reason, I am running Windows XP SP3 if that makes a difference.

Nicholas Steel
01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
So, it loads the values wrongly but saves them correctly?

Joe123
01-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Oh, well this is very similar to what happened when I was loading the data in the wrong order.

What I did is now loading the data in the right order (I think).
At least though, if it is that, it would mean the data's not being 'locked', right?

EDIT:
Testing it, it looks ok on the surface.
Then, when I tried loading it in ZC, my max rupees was '512', which I've not set it to anywhere. Interesting.

Matthew Bluefox
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Well ... the crashing bug still exists for me (like in version 923 and 928), butt my quest didn't get damaged ... yet. However, now since I know it COULD get seriously damaged, I'll wait for the next release or even go back to Build 910 where nothing crashed.

Is it possible to still download Build 910?

Christian
01-17-2009, 04:10 PM
yea it's possible.
I'm currently staying on build 910 because it has no crash problems whatsoever.