PDA

View Full Version : Planet Zebes.

King Aquamentus
01-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Did you know that with 922 you can create a full-on sideview adventure? I was just fooling around with a few screens one day, and well a few screens became a few more screens, and pretty soon I was assembling my own little version of Brinstar from NES Metroid.

But where the rock normally turns gold, it suddenly turned into the big red area from Super Metroid. And Then there was Crateria, and Norfair, and... well... let's just say something amazing happened, and I didn't even have to script.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/Festus_05/zelda031-1.png

Largely, it seems to be a rearranged version of Super Metroid, with roads leading in some different paths, Items in different places... It's like trying to recreate Super Metroid without a map of the game... you end up creating a new interpretation of it, so the gameplay is still fresh, but you can say "I know where I am!"

Two main setbacks so far though are A) enemies (especially enemies) and a small issue regarding B) Gravity suit and a bug for getting into the water via grappling beam. I'm not as worried about the latter though as I am the former. I don't even have a Ridley!!

Anthus
01-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Did you know that with 922 you can create a full-on sideview adventure? I was just fooling around with a few screens one day, and well a few screens became a few more screens, and pretty soon I was assembling my own little version of Brinstar from NES Metroid.

But where the rock normally turns gold, it suddenly turned into the big red area from Super Metroid. And Then there was Crateria, and Norfair, and... well... let's just say something amazing happened, and I didn't even have to script.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/Festus_05/zelda031-1.png

Largely, it seems to be a rearranged version of Super Metroid, with roads leading in some different paths, Items in different places... It's like trying to recreate Super Metroid without a map of the game... you end up creating a new interpretation of it, so the gameplay is still fresh, but you can say "I know where I am!"

Two main setbacks so far though are A) enemies (especially enemies) and a small issue regarding B) Gravity suit and a bug for getting into the water via grappling beam. I'm not as worried about the latter though as I am the former. I don't even have a Ridley!!

I absolutely love the background colors. Can you adjust the height of Samus' jump?

King Aquamentus
01-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Most definetely! It's a variable for the Roc items. Right now I have a level 1 feather called "Jet boots" which is something you start with by default and allows her to jump. level 2 feather is "Hi-Jump boots" and adds a considerable 2 tiles to her jumping height. I'm quite sure ZC used to have a cape coded in (I know there's scripts of it), but until that happens again, no luck for a space jump. And as I said, I'm not too big on how to do enemies, especially bosses.

The issue with the water is this: In this quest, Samus drowns in water tiles without flippers. However, the water is only one tile thick, and below it is walkable blankness, with a watery layer over it. Once she has flippers/Gravity suit, she can walk around down there. Simple enough. However, if the hookshot is out while she falls in, she'll bypass the water, allowing you to enter without the flippers to get past the little barricade. I'm not as concerned about this though, because you still need the Gravity suit for it's lava-proof capabilities.

I absolutely love the background colors.

Everything in that background, I drew myself. XD

Please, take a look in the Screenshot thread of this forum for more screenshots!

Shazza Dani
01-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I was thinking of making a sideview quest, but I canned the idear when I couldn't figure out how to work the ladder script. ;_;

King Aquamentus
01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
No need for the ladder now... The only screens that aren't in sideview gravity are elevator scenes. You either jump up into these or drop down into them.

Shazza Dani
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I would need ladders for my quest though. It would be more like SMB2 than Metroid.

King Aquamentus
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
X.x yeah... and they don't have a combo that negates sideview gravity, do they? :( They need it though.... YOU HEARING US???

Russ
01-15-2009, 12:50 AM
There is a script for it.

King Aquamentus
01-15-2009, 01:00 AM
I think some of the enemies may require scripts. Then again I'm gettin lazy. I should just dump this project on someone else who sees all the screens and just gets giddy inside but... where's the ethic in that?

Russ
01-15-2009, 02:02 AM
Oh, pick me! I've been wanting to work on a Metroid quest, but I'm too lazy to rip in the graphics!

Anthus
01-15-2009, 03:52 AM
I would like to check it out, but honestly, I wouldn't really finish it. I'd just look at it, for all of its sexiness.

King Aquamentus
01-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Oh, Russell... I just ripped in a whole bunch of level tiles from Super Metroid for use in... well it's really primarily the default tileset. The whole thing is. I mean, level pallettes change, but... well, we'll see...

Anthus
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
There is a script for it.

Wait.. A script for ladders, or a script for a combo that negates side view gravity? Actually, I know there is a ladder script. The combo,however, would be rad.

King Aquamentus
01-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Oh yes it would. You could draw a combo like that to look like a ladder, then just walk up it.

King Aquamentus
01-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Update: I now have a Ridley.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s352/Festus_05/zelda043.png

He'll have to sit here until I get tired of him/make his chamber. Basically, this is a Manhandla with boosted health and weapons. Why a Manhandla?

- They fly. A lot of enemies in this quest drop to the ground when spawned, and then might not even be able to move. So flight is a good thing.

- Advancing Difficulty: As Manhandla loses limbs, it gets faster. As Ridley gets angrier, he gets faster. speaking of which...

- Loss of Limbs: With some enemies, this might seem like an awkward setback to using Manhandla, but think about it for a minute: With Ridley, This could be incredibly cool. clip a wing or a tail, behead him... He'll keep going, but get angrier/crazier.

Anthus
01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
That is interesting. I've never actually seen anyone ever make use of having different "heads" for him.

King Aquamentus
01-30-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm going to bed.

When I wake, you will be able to play a little of it. Just the introductory stage, Metroid Nova's (yes that's the name now) answer to Ceres.

There's a lot of talk before the action, but it's a fun read. :)

(And I'll say this now before the file comes up tomorrow)
Those are the real First names of Samus's parents. I got no idea what Virginia's maiden last name is, so I decided on "Pit", as in Kid Icarus, the series counterpart.