PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Teen Convicted of Killing Mother Over Video Game

Prrkitty
01-12-2009, 05:16 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479262,00.html

Quote: A judge Monday rejected the defense that a teenage boy opened fire on his family because he was addicted to video games, convicting him of wounding his clergyman father and killing his mother after they fought over a video game.

Quote 2: Mark Petric, who is a minister at New Life Assembly of God in Wellington, testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

The father, who recovered from the shooting, testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from a gunshot. His wife, Susan, 43, died of gunshot wound to the head.
------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm... does this prove that those with a propensity of/for cruelty ... actually follow thru? As opposed to those that don't have that propensity... and don't follow thru? (hope that came across correctly)

Yes I do enjoy shooting baddies/monsters/etc. But I'd NEVER consider actually killing someone in real life. UNLESS I was put into a life-or-death situation... that is.

Revfan9
01-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Why is this news exactly?

1. CrazyPerson decides to do CrazyThing

2. Everybody uses HotTrend as a scapegoat

3. Rinse and repeat with next HotTrend, CrazyPerson,or CrazyThing, whichever comes first.

And this news story comes from FOX, of course...

Video Games don't turn kids into mindless killers. But a destroyed self-esteem, a lifetime of mental abuse from parents, peers, teachers, etc... does. The only thing that you can blame Video Games for is informing the kid that he can use guns to kill people, but unfortunately for most kids he can learn that just by spending some time hanging around outside.

The article doesn't even ATTEMPT at an analysis, it doesn't even delve that deeply into any real facts. It's just another shot at "OMG VIDEO GAMES AND THE INTERNET ARE EVIL" and fear mongering.

Russ
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, creepy. I'm not so much thinking his addiction caused it as he was just insane and the addiction was an adden side effect.

Still, very creepy.

Revfan9
01-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Obviously, the whole "No! You can't play Halo!" was the straw that broke the camel's back, but this kid almost certainly has far, FAR deeper problems.

Breaker
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
he looks fucking crazy.

Lilith
01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
---

Trevelyan_06
01-15-2009, 07:39 AM
The video games do not make kids kill people, you have to be unstable to do that. The people that say there is no difference between blowing up things in an virtual world and the real world are full of shit, have never operated a real fire arm, and are looking for an excuse to get out of parenting.

Brasel
01-16-2009, 11:07 PM
grand theft auto vice city made me want to jack cars...I have two hidden in a garage in e st louis.

Trevelyan_06
01-17-2009, 01:07 AM
grand theft auto vice city made me want to jack cars...I have two hidden in a garage in e st louis.

This joke is much funnier when you know that E. St. Louis is an actual city independent of St. Louis on the Illinois side, and much more dangerous. It is all the city in which I work.

Also, Grand Theft Auto didn't make you wanna jack those cars Tony, you just got bored. I am, however, a little pissed off that you didn't call me to help you hide those cars. I'm here for YOU man.

Breaker
01-17-2009, 04:57 AM
to quote Chris Rock, whatever happened to just being fucking crazy. Games didn't do it, he did. When I play Halo I'm not imagining I'm shooting up my friends and family. He needs to be in prison.