PDA

View Full Version : Not suitable for children or those of a nervous disposition.

Dark Nation
01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Eversion - A cool indie game (by the creator of Zeux's World) with a dark secret. :evil:

http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

When you get to an area where the background color gets a little darker or lighter, you can use your eversion power. You don't really start to get a good feel for how it works until you hit level 3, though, so keep playing! :D

Pineconn
01-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow. I finished it.

One word: creepy. Getting all the gems was difficult, let alone the final level.

Modus Ponens
01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Holy fuck. This game is fantastic(ally creepy). I haven't gotten all the gems yet, though, so I still have some work to do.

Dark Nation
01-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Pineconn, did you get both endings or just the bad one?

Russ
01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow, just wow. I was expecting something that would suddenly have a screamer. I was really nervous, had the volume muted, and I got this.

Although I am stuck. In level 2, how do you get over the part where there's just water and no platforms. The clouds look like platforms, but I fall right through them.

Dark Nation
01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
There's an eversion point near the column of blocks that have a space at the bottom for you to walk through. Keep your eyes and ears open for the background color getting darker and the background music fading slightly. That's the eversion point.

CaRmAgE
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Yeah, that game is pretty creepy. I did eventually get all the gems, but it took quite while. I only got what I'm guessing is the bad ending, though.

Dark Nation
01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Once you get the bad ending, go back to level 7. There will be a new eversion point at the start of the level. Go there and beat the level. Level 8 will open. Beat that to get the good ending.

CaRmAgE
01-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Actually, I found it before you posted that, but thanks anyway.

Dechipher
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
I can't play, as I'm on a Mac.

:(

Modus Ponens
01-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Okay, I got the good ending. True love is so much more uplifting.

Pineconn
01-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Pineconn, did you get both endings or just the bad one?

Yeah, I got the "non-bad ending," though they were both bad. :p

That was still really fun. Thanks for posting it.

By the way, did you find that you had to "cheat" in world 8? There was a part with clouds right before these narrow corridors of enemies. You could go to the top of the clouds, walk onto shriveled plants, and wait for you to evert so that the plants would cause you to move above the stage. I'm not sure if this is what you had to do or not. (I even did this to cheat past the maze.)

EDIT: Oh, I see, you're supposed to isolate the enemies and (barely) maneuver around. Ah well, you can cheat around it. :p

Revfan9
01-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm stuck on level 5, how do I break through those blocks that are in my way?

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out <.<

Maximum: Ever heard of Parallels, VMWare-Fusion, or Wine? (Though I hear Wine sucks pretty hard on OS X)

EDIT (Again!): Now I'm on level 7. I'm trying to find the eversion point (So I can get the gems from the blocks), but I've scoured every portion of the level, and I've only managed to find 2 (Getting it down to 5, but it needs to be down to 4 before I can get anything out of those blocks...). I guess I need to find 1 more, but where is it?

EDIT: Found it >.<

Russ
01-10-2009, 02:21 PM
You have to collect all the gems for the secret eversion point? Dang, this will take a while.

Breaker
01-10-2009, 02:27 PM
this would be very cool on XBLA.

Revfan9
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Not really. It's too short, and not much replay value. I also don't see what's so creepy about it, srsly :/

It also falls through the classic "homebrew" pitfall: It's too hard. And I don't mean hard in the good way like the classic Megaman titles, I mean hard in the bad way. You know. Where you just keep dying over and over until you get EXACTLY how to get through that part in your muscle memory, then you get to the next part where you die over and over, rinse and repeat? This is oh-so common in "homebrew" games and mods because the people who make these tend to be gamers themselves. And the entire time they're making the game, they're thinking "Games these days are too easy! Let's make this part harder!" It gets really tedious, really fast.

The whole "Eversion" thing can also only be done at certain points in the level, and these points have no logic to them, they're just completely random. So you spend half your time (especially in level 7...) just running back and forth across the level, trying to find where the hell the next Eversion point is.

And level 8 is the worst of all. You spend 90% of the level just sitting there waiting to be able to get through all of that shit.

Masamune
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
this would be very cool on XBLA.

It reminds me a lot of Braid.

Pineconn
01-10-2009, 04:27 PM
It also falls through the classic "homebrew" pitfall: It's too hard. And I don't mean hard in the good way like the classic Megaman titles, I mean hard in the bad way. You know. Where you just keep dying over and over until you get EXACTLY how to get through that part in your muscle memory, then you get to the next part where you die over and over, rinse and repeat?

...Isn't that exactly what you have to do to get through Megaman games?

Shazza Dani
01-10-2009, 04:29 PM
That's why Megaman sucks too.

inb4 shitstorm

Revfan9
01-11-2009, 03:13 AM
...Isn't that exactly what you have to do to get through Megaman games?

Not really, since with Megaman, normally after the first time you die on something, you'll know to be more careful at that point next time (Damn Snakeman and his cloud missles out of nowhere get me every time...). And at least with Megaman titles you have a healthbar, so outside of tricky jumps you're unlikely to repetitively die over and over, and going through the same stages after you die is still fun, since Megaman can rely on combat for its replay value.

With this game, everything dies with one hit, including yourself (Not fun when it forces you to squeeze past those fucking hands). The little explosion is funny at first, but it doesn't really last. I mostly just kept playing the game cause I wanted to see the end, which wasn't really worth all of that frustration.

It's a great idea, it was just horribly implemented.

Elmensajero
01-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow, that game was really really odd... btw Pineconn, thanks for the "lvl 8 cheat", it was quite helpful as I was getting really annoyed at restarting the level so many times.

Deviance
01-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Got the good ending today. That was weird that little dude turned into darkness at the end.

Gleeok
01-12-2009, 03:30 AM
Man I suck at this game. I can't get through level 4 for the life of me. Stupid hands...:mad: Neat idea though, just needs some spookier music to go along with it when you 'evert'.

edit: alright, well I somehow managed to make it to lv.6.

Nicholas Steel
01-12-2009, 09:24 AM
the first level where it all collapses in on itself from the left to the right (so you gotta hurry) and you in the er, dead dimension so your score goes crazy, yea, that level is crazy -.-