PDA

View Full Version : New Version of ZCL

Deviance
01-03-2009, 09:20 PM
It's up at shardstorm. Tell me what you think. :)

Also you can get it here as a stand alone
http://sjnetwork.net/downloads/zcl25a1.zip

beefster09
01-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Alright! The new tabbing is much nicer and more organized, however I have a few suggestions on the ZScript editor: (in order of descending importance)

-Smaller tab size.
-Basic customizable syntax highlighting- formatting for certain types of stuff.
-Tabs.
-Bracket Matching.
-More keywords- particularly built-in pointers, their respective members, and std.zh definitions. I made a python script that extracts those, which should be easily modifiable to an integrated C++ script of the same function.
-This is a bit on the IDE side, but the same sort of function that looks though all your open files and highlights all uses of global variables and functions.
-Also on the IDE side, tooltips for at least built-in pointers listing all their members.

pkmnfrk
01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Aw man, if you're gonna release a new build, at least compile ZQuest and ZC...

Comments:

- I don't like the tab-in-a-tab interface. I liked the old "everything on one page" style. If it's an issue of not having enough room for new stuff, just make the window bigger!

- ZScript editor: As a tip, the best way to arrange your menus are:

File: Edit:
&New &Undo
&Open &Redo
&Save -----
Save &As... Cu&t
----- &Copy
&Close &Paste
-----
Select &All

Also, it's good form to disable Cut and Copy when nothing is selected, and to disable Paste when there's nothing on the Clipboard.

- I also don't like how you can click and type absolutely anywhere on a line. If I click past the end of a line, I expect the cursor to jump to the actual end of line.

- When I select Open, and click Cancel, it should do nothing, not throw up.

- Also when I select Open, it should give options for ZScript Headers|*.zh and All Files|*.*

- I would love it if it remembered the last file I had open between sessions.

- "ZSciprt" is misspelled in the Save As window.

CaRmAgE
01-03-2009, 11:12 PM
A small bug report: Under Zquest -> Other, Animate Combos and Show Misalignments don't have tool tips...or are they not supposed to?

Deviance
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Aw man, if you're gonna release a new build, at least compile ZQuest and ZC...

We are not ready to make a release of them yet.

Also on that note. Beggers can not be choosers. And this is called alpha. You don't like it? Don't use it.

pkmnfrk
01-04-2009, 01:20 AM
?

I was joking, as should've been indicated by the list of improvements I suggested.

ShadowTiger
01-04-2009, 01:21 AM
- I don't like the tab-in-a-tab interface. I liked the old "everything on one page" style. If it's an issue of not having enough room for new stuff, just make the window bigger!Yep, agreed. Everything on one tab is generally always better. It means one more unnecessary click for the casual user. It means people forgetting what their settings where and having to click into the tab just to find out.

Deviance
01-04-2009, 02:30 AM
But yeah the Zscript editor is just at it's baby steps. It will be improved on in later builds. ZCL 2.5's main focus will be the Zscript editor.