PDA

View Full Version : Happy Horusmas!

Shazza Dani
12-25-2008, 06:02 AM
Did you know the 25th of December is the birthday of the Egyptian god, Horus? Today we should all acknowledge and celebrate the birth of such an important and divine being! I hope everyone has a happy Horusmas~

ShadowTiger
12-25-2008, 08:46 AM
First thing I did when I woke up.

Prrkitty
12-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I did not know that... learn something new every day :)

Pryme8
12-25-2008, 07:36 PM
that's a really interesting fact... ill remember that one!

[EDIT]

I did some digging around and it turns out that's not true...

"'Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.' The lit has confirmed what Miller offers, and I have also seen the depiction he refers to below. I have found no reference to a cave/manger -- Frazer [Fraz.AAO, 8] has Horus born in the swamps, and knows nothing about a star or Wise Men, of any number."

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

Shazza Dani
12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I did some digging around and it turns out that's not true...

"'Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.' The lit has confirmed what Miller offers, and I have also seen the depiction he refers to below. I have found no reference to a cave/manger -- Frazer [Fraz.AAO, 8] has Horus born in the swamps, and knows nothing about a star or Wise Men, of any number."

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

WTF is that shit?

DarkDragon
12-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Somebody's been watching Religulous? ;)

Shazza Dani
12-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Me? No, I haven't seen it.

Pryme8
12-26-2008, 04:33 AM
WTF is that shit?

its basically saying Horus was not born on dec 25...

Shazza Dani
12-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Your quote doesn't say that at all; it contains some stupid quote from "Christ Conspiracy" trying to link Jesus to Horus, then someone else saying that is untrue. It says nothing about whether or not Horus was born on December 25th, it just says he's not Jesus. Of course he's not Jesus. Your quote was completely irrelevant.

Dechipher
12-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Your quote doesn't say that at all; it contains some stupid quote from "Christ Conspiracy" trying to link Jesus to Horus, then someone else saying that is untrue. It says nothing about whether or not Horus was born on December 25th, it just says he's not Jesus. Of course he's not Jesus. Your quote was completely irrelevant.

Hahaha.

Maybe this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4) helps?

Pryme8
12-26-2008, 02:06 PM

the quote is just a segment of the bigger picture...

if you actually click on the link and read the whole section you will learn that Horus was not born on the 25th... way the say its irrelevant and not even read the article..

"The one reference I have found to a birth of Horus has him born on the 31st day of the Egyptian month of Khoiak -- the mythers have a one in 365 chance that this matches Dec. 25th!"

Dechipher
12-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Horus

* Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

Yeah I see your point. The article definitely says that Horus was not born on the 25th of December.

Pryme8
12-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah I see your point. The article definitely says that Horus was not born on the 25th of December.

do y'all read in what you want?

he is simple stating what people who claim that Horus was born on the 25th try to say..."Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men."

then soon follows that statement with :
"I have found no reference to a cave/manger -- Frazer [Fraz.AAO, 8] has Horus born in the swamps, and knows nothing about a star or Wise Men, of any number."

read the entire page, and you will understand that people make claims like that all the time, and anyone with any basis in Egyptian religion and history say its all bullshit

Shazza Dani
12-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Your source, tektonics.org, is a website meant to refute any non-christian religions, which makes it automatically invalid.

And this,

"The one reference I have found to a birth of Horus has him born on the 31st day of the Egyptian month of Khoiak -- the mythers have a one in 365 chance that this matches Dec. 25th!"

A one in 365 chance? That means the writer has absolutely no knowledge of converting the Egyptian Calender to the Gregorian Calendar.

Pryme8
12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
and evidently you don't as well!

because all of the month of Koiak falls into late October early November

Horus was not born on the 25th of Dec...

it was an interesting idea though...

Shazza Dani
12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
That is only one claim—other sources say Horus was born on the 10th day of Mechir, which is December 25th, and further sources claim He was born on different days. The bottom line is that 25/12 is widely accepted as the birthday of Horus, and there's no need to bitch about it because we all know Jesus wasn't born in December but nobody complains about him horning in on Horus' birthdate. If you want to insist that Horus wasn't born on December 25th then you must also accept that Jesus wasn't either, else you're a hypocrite; then, if you accept that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th then you should have no reason to give a damn about Horus "sharing" the same day; because, face it, that's the only reason you want to argue about Horus' birthdate. Because I'm sure you're not just someone who is radically concerned about the accuracy of ancient Egyptian religious records.

Pryme8
12-27-2008, 01:07 AM
... and were does it become relevant to say if I believe Horus wasn't, then I cant believe Jesus was.

that's very odd thought method.

I'm not to concerned about when he was born no, but to what I have been able to find is that he was not born on that day. While searching this interesting tidbit I found a whole rack of other claims about Horus and Jesus paralleling and nearly all were reported false by very reputable scholars. Which would lead me to believe that perhaps the claim (which was proven wrong by many standers of converting ancient dates.) of Horus and Jesus having the same birthday would most likely have been spawned by peoples (wishful) claims about the two leading a parallel life!

that is all... thanks, you win I don't care anymore... believe what you want.

Shazza Dani
12-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Okay, thanks for derailing my thread in the first place. :|

Happy birthday, Horus!