PDA

View Full Version : Let's explore the Forest Abbey!

_L_
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Quest: http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/NeoFirst_L.qst
Scripts: http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/Scripts.zip

In this demonstration, you start outside Link's house. Proceed into the Mystic Forest, where tricky forest spirits hope to bamboozle you, and Deelers lurk in the treetops. Find the secret paths that lead deeper into the forest, and enter the Forest Abbey!

The demonstration ends when you reach the boss's room.

But first, take note of all of the following!

* The path through the village square is North, East, North, West. Don't forget this!
* This dungeon contains secret rooms. Like, for instance, fairy fountains. Check your dungeon map for inconsistencies!
* On the subscreen, move the cursor and press A or B to equip an item in that slot.
* Press A to read signs, but press Up to open chests.
* No recovery hearts. Link automatically regenerates life and magic at a somewhat generous rate.
* You can use the fishing line to fish, but you won't catch anything useful.
* The big chest is unlocked. You don't need a Big Key.
* Some elements behave differently now. For instance, vine-covered statue pedestals can be hookshotted, but clean ones can't.
* Remember to press the Map key when you need to remember something about a room's layout!
* Candle fire won't burn 'corner grass' combos. Ignore this.

Some personal reservations about the finished product:

* The Moblins. In NeoFirst, the moblins are naturally aligned with the King of Thieves. So, they don't really fit in here. If you can think of something more exotic to replace them with (note: must throw spears, can't be afraid of fire) then do suggest!

Q&A:

Q: What about all that stuff you bragged about in the Diary thread?
A: It's all in! Scout's honour, as they say.

Q: I can't get the Map!
A: Keep at it! Someday you'll be able to!

Q: Does the owl statue do anything?
A: Yes.

Q: It's raining!
A: This is a Zelda game - what do you do if you want to control the weather?

Q: I can't beat the miniboss! Help?
A: The magical miniboss isn't a fight - it's a puzzle. One involving your newest little toy. But if you can't figure it out, here's how to beat that cloaked dweeb: -=SPOILER=-

Post some comments!

ShadowTiger
12-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Pretty awesome. Quirk: When you choose the "Save and Quit" option from in front of the temple in Screen 1,0 when you restart, you start out in front of the abandoned house with the two Dekus eating dirt.

EDIT: And the spiderweb barrier north of the first bomb flower, .. Hookshotting it s utterly spectacular. Well done sir. :thumbsup:

EDIT2: I actually hookshotted myself into the spiderweb, and got caught. The bug lies in that when I somehow propelled myself out of it to the north, I actually got stuck in the extreme north wall, and was thusly unable to move. Ah, to reproduce this, basically, hookshot to the south while in the web, and then hold up as the hookshot returns. Actually you don't even need to hold up.

Also, in the lower left corner(ish) of the "Meditation Garden" above that spiderweb screen I just mentioned, you can walk right under the blue tree. It's one of those quest-related layer bugs, I suppose.

Also, in the lower right corner of the screen to the right of the spiderweb screen, there is a tree with two black squares behind its covering. Compared to the two combos to the left of it, they should likely be mountainous combos as well, it is supposed.

And since you're so keen on puzzles, figure this one out. :p

http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/images/ZCNeoFirstHowdIEndUpHere1.gif

Slashing the tall grass on the screen a bit northeast of the entrance yields a black undercombo bug. EDIT: Also, burning the red bushes in the wrong order is a permanent error: They don't come back once burned, even if the barriers don't lower.

_L_
12-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Good thing I'm still awake to fix these bugs.

Okay, I've fixed that stuff & re-uploaded, except for the 'quirk' and the puzzling puzzle. Ta ta for now.

EDIT: Also, burning the red bushes in the wrong order is a permanent error: They don't come back once burned, even if the barriers don't lower.

For an unfortunate and soon-to-be-rectified reason* the fixing of this bug requires me to change the behaviour of those trees temporarily. For now, only removing one of them will open the gate.

*"All Triggers->16-31" doesn't recognise layered triggers?! Who programmed this thing anyway?

Din
12-20-2008, 02:15 PM
A demo!? A DEMO!? Wow, words cannot say how excited I am to download this. So instead I'll use a smilie: :highfive: I'll give it a try.

EDIT: Heh, I found the fairy fountain. Honestly though, it was rather inadvertantly, as I was just shimmying along the wall.

Shazza Dani
12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
What does "All Triggers->16-31" do, anyway? I was trying to figure that out yesterday when I was working in ZQuest.

pkmnfrk
12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
It causes the extended secret flags (16-32) to not trigger until all normal secret flags on a screen are triggered.

Russ
12-20-2008, 06:58 PM
A demo!? Awesome!

This is beyond awesome! Let me ask this: Does it include the Deku Tree boss, or does it end before it?

Regardless, this is still awesome!

pkmnfrk
12-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I feel stupid, however, I am stuck.

1. Can I do anything the first time I'm in the web-room?

2. I've just just about everything I can think of to/with those stupid eyeball statues, but I can't figure out the puzzle in the ape statue room.

3. Am I supposed to be able to open the map? It popped up by itself at the beginning, but I can't get it to go now.

Shazza Dani
12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm even more stuck. I can only wander around in a few forest screens and I can't find anything to do. D:

_L_
12-20-2008, 11:40 PM
2. I've just just about everything I can think of to/with those stupid eyeball statues, but I can't figure out the puzzle in the ape statue room.

If you played the original Shoelace version of this room... well, the solution's about the same.
But if not, think of an answer to this: why would you want to push it into that hole?

ShadowTiger
12-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Getting the map requires the actual tool you get from the dungeon, not the toy version of the one you have. (Which really shouldn't get replaced - Its alternate use is quite unique.) and extremely good timing with it. A mad dash, if you would. And even then, you'll have to bring the map to you with it.

Remember to look behind trees for walkable spaces. Go behind everything

Now, which miniboss was it that was a "puzzle" exactly? The only boss I fought was the vine/blue-spider miniboss, and that was nothing but a fight.

_L_
12-21-2008, 02:33 AM
If you sequence-break using the Feather or Flippers or mumble, then you skip it entirely.

ShadowTiger
12-21-2008, 08:19 AM
I feel proud to have solved all of those puzzles without any help. They were quite challenging. I had no feathers no flippers for the entire duration of the thing. Then again, I never did the block puzzle near the two dark rooms either. They were just four nondescript pushblocks with no seeming clue nor a need for a clue. The boss was able to be reached regardless. :shrug:

_L_
12-21-2008, 08:40 AM
They were just four nondescript pushblocks with no seeming clue nor a need for a clue. The boss was able to be reached regardless. :shrug:

And I'd like to congratulate your resourcefulness! Well played.

To celebrate, I've replaced a certain tree with an equal-sized rock, and added a Piece of Heart nearby. Now go back and do it properly! (http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/NeoFirst_L.qst) : )

(In truth, while I've built in a few intended shortcuts, such as in 9:64, that particular one you just discovered messes up some cutscenes in another room. This is the way it is!)

(Also, there is indeed a way to finish without solving those pushblocks, but I assume you didn't use that method because of your apparant unintended avoidance of a certain miniboss. That method involves mumble, which I'm hoping most people have forgotten about.)

Shoelace
12-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I passed it. That was really hard. I think it is great, but wow, the diffculty level is really high. I am still kinda not liking the save thing. Because when you die, and you didn't save in a long time. You lose everything. That really sucks.

Anyways, some good puzzles. One thing though, the spider web puzzle. I noticed in this beta: If you are against a block, you can hookshot over it even if it isn't a hookshotover combo. In fact, I got the Map because I just shot over the block. O_o

As for the web puzzle... I hookshoted over it (you can do that if you shot it towards the right. Then I got stuck in the web and did the candle to get out. I know I did the puzzle wrong. What was the way to pass that? Anyways, just wanted point out that the hookshot may be having some troubles. Because you can hookover over things you aren't supposed to. That's not good!

Anyways, great job _L_. You are really talented. I may steal your assistance to help with EotM. Or not, just asking. /me runs

_L_
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I passed it. That was really hard. I think it is great, but wow, the diffculty level is really high. I am still kinda not liking the save thing. Because when you die, and you didn't save in a long time. You lose everything. That really sucks. I tried to be a bit even-handed by upping the effectiveness of Heart Ring 1. And giving 5 initial hearts instead of 3. But I guess those Goriyas can wear you down!

If you are against a block, you can hookshot over it even if it isn't a hookshotover combo. In fact, I got the Map because I just shot over the block. O_o
That will need some examining!

As for the web puzzle... I hookshoted over it (you can do that if you shot it towards the right. Then I got stuck in the web and did the candle to get out. I know I did the puzzle wrong. What was the way to pass that?
What makes you think it was the wrong solution? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouHaveToBurnTheWeb)

P.S: How on Earth can you steal someone's assistance?

Sillycat2
12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Wait a second. What build is this for?

Din
12-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I completed it yesterday morning, and I really enjoyed the "color key" puzzle. I went on ZQuest, and do my eyes decieve me, or did I just see

-=SPOILER=-

Sillycat2: I think it works on any build later then 864, any earlier build (or 864 itself) will crash ZC.

EDIT: Got bugs?

First, the Switch Hook option of the Hookshot often flies off in a random direction if used. No, I mean the chain literally flies off and breaks when switching with a monster occasionally. Not only that, but you're left frozen in place with an invisible Hookshot, after which you *groan* have to restart or *bigger groan* cheat.

Second, by holding up at the web after using the hookshot, you can get out of it. May or may not be a bug.

I'll find more as I go on.

pkmnfrk
12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
If you played the original Shoelace version of this room... well, the solution's about the same.
But if not, think of an answer to this: why would you want to push it into that hole?

Well, I tried that. Correct me if I'm wrong, this solution doesn't work:

-=SPOILER=-

However, I forgot to list good points in my previous post.

- I like the statue + hole = no hole thing. Bonus points for making the holed statue go "buh? Where am I?"

- I like the web! Seriously! I haven't figured out how to get stuck in it yet, but I'll work on that next

- Also, clever use of Screen->Line for the fishing rod too.

I really need to look at these scripts to see what I can steal be inspired by!

Edit: BUG! The save screen in the forest doesn't have the green square set! I appeared in the top-left corner, and can't continue (until I fix the quest file manually!)

Edit 2: I take that back. While the green square isn't set, the save feature works on Blue Square A. Is that right? I would have thought that the green square would be used...

Edit 3: DURRR. I figured out the eyeball statue puzzle. *is embarrassed*

Shoelace
12-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I tried to be a bit even-handed by upping the effectiveness of Heart Ring 1. And giving 5 initial hearts instead of 3. But I guess those Goriyas can wear you down!

Actually it is more the mini bosses that killed me. I didn't know there was a save to the right at the first one, and I died because I didn't know what to do. And also I died like 4 times at the mini boss of the vines and spider craziness. lol. I think I just suck but still, losing everything if didn't save is sad. I was never a fan of the No Continue thing when ST put it in. I think I argued and debated with him a lot when I first made that level because I would die in my own level, especially at the miniboss he put in The Leever 3. But in my demo I turned continue on, but it was later added back but oh well. lol.

Also, thanks for keeping most of my design and puzzles in the level. It is funny because you switched a lot of the rooms places. The 2nd floor is now the B1! lol, I guess that works good. One thing that I didn't like about my level in the first place was I was told to make it like Revenge II and a map that LTM made. But that wasn't my style but I tried it anyways. But I didn't think I did it good. I added puzzles because that is what I liked so I tried to have a mixture of Revenge II, the map, and my puzzles. In my opinion it wasn't a good balance. However in this new designed level, I don't see that much of the flow of Revenge II. Which is good because that is what I didn't like about it in the first place.

P.S: How on Earth can you steal someone's assistance?
It is called Brain WASH! But really, I thank you for making the scripts available. Because that is the one thing that my game needs, but I am still learning the scripting... Because I good with making balance between gameplay and things in that nature, but making the scripts... not really. But if I have the scripts, I can come up with lots of puzzles and ways of using them to its fullest. And now all I need to do it just learn from the scripts how they are made so that I can make mini bosses and bosses. But if I can't, I will Brain WASH someone! j/k

ShadowTiger
12-21-2008, 09:27 PM
P.S: How on Earth can you steal someone's assistance?You can borrow a tissue or a piece of a paper. :blah:

But if not, think of an answer to this: why would you want to push it into that hole?Odd that pkmnfrk's solution worked for him. (But I'm glad, yes. :) ) I just slashed all the bushes on the screen, and pushed the right statue into the lower left hole, then crossed over that now-filled hole to press the button under the bush in the very lower left corner.

pkmnfrk
12-22-2008, 01:41 AM
The solution I posed was the solution to another puzzle, in the Moon Tower. I solved the eyeball statue room puzzle by hitting the switch.

However, I then died later on in the dungeon, and lost motivation to re-do everything all over again. Having a single save-spot in the entire game sucks.

ShadowTiger
12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Well the quest will always be unpassworded, so if you get frustrated, (And it is possible, I suppose.) the quest can be set to not use the Save feature. Or you can just put down more save combos. It's combo 125.

... ... No really, _L_, ... where is the Miniboss, please? Is it the one on Map 9 Screen 22?

_L_
12-22-2008, 11:15 AM
It's at 9:54... but, as I said, you will only encounter it if you enter that screen from the north, which is the normal gameplay sequence.

That screen (9:54) is the only path to the far side of 9:64 without directly launching oneself across the broken bridge there. Thus, if you enter 9:54 from the south, then the game realises that you've broken sequence, and removes the scripted encounter.

Incidentally, I will certainly be adding several more save points to this and other areas, by popular demand.

Christian
01-01-2009, 06:54 AM
wooow what a masterpiece of a game. this really shows what zelda classic 2.5 will do with scripts and features . GREAT job _L_! however, I am currently stuck in the eyeball statue room and the room up north of the first bomb flower. I've done everything to that eyeball room and in the web room, am I supposed to hookshot it?

_L_
01-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I, um, doubt you've done everything in the eyeball room. Like, looked underneath every bush?

...Incidentally, apart from the save points, anybody have any specific feedback about this dungeon? Was the red tree puzzle easy to solve? Did that robed miniboss stump you, even with Hintia's hint? Think the 'backstory' of the Forest Abbey was a bit thinly spread? Were all three of the secret rooms too easy to find? Wondering what that mysterious stairway in the library was all about? Did the chaser traps move too slowly? (...maybe not the last one.)

pkmnfrk
01-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I am wondering about the staircase, since I found my way to it, went down it, and then died in a gruesome, horrible death. Which made me lose a lot of progress :(

Overall, it's a very good dungeon. It has a real OoT Forest Temple feel, being partly inside, and partly outside.

Din
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
It's at 9:54... but, as I said, you will only encounter it if you enter that screen from the north, which is the normal gameplay sequence.

That screen (9:54) is the only path to the far side of 9:64 without directly launching oneself across the broken bridge there. Thus, if you enter 9:54 from the south, then the game realises that you've broken sequence, and removes the scripted encounter.

Incidentally, I will certainly be adding several more save points to this and other areas, by popular demand.

Wait, _L_, what if you use the Switch Hook to get over there? It's very possible to do that, and switch places with a Moblin on 9:44. Then you just move through the north and find no boss! When you suddenly destroy the Tendrils, and you get the key, you find "Crimsrobe" running away, not ever seeing him before! So, what if you blocked off the north and east sides of the rooms, then on the north is a switch you can use to lower the roots on both sides?

Or you could just remove the moblins, but where's the fun in that?

Christian
01-01-2009, 06:21 PM
omg, I feel so dumb :-) yeah I solved the eye statue room. now I have the compass and map and the switch hook. where to I go next? I'm pretty much stuck again. and again _L_ great job with this. wow what an amazing dungeon and game.

_L_
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
I suggest you go looking for something fragile.

When you suddenly destroy the Tendrils, and you get the key, you find "Crimsrobe" running away, not ever seeing him before!
Well, that's a bug, I'm afraid! But using a secret technique to cross the broken bridge is quite permissible.

I am wondering about the staircase, since I found my way to it, went down it, and then died in a gruesome, horrible death. Which made me lose a lot of progress :(

The answer is... it's a shortcut between two dungeons! But you need the Slightly Longer Hookshot to make proper use of it.

Christian
01-09-2009, 07:40 AM
how do I get the switch hook?

_L_
01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
You don't! It's so secret that I must refrain from mentioning it anymore.