PDA

View Full Version : Florida Woman Says Former Church Plans to Make Her Sins Public

Prrkitty
12-19-2008, 12:28 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469928,00.html

Hmmm... this is one of the main reasons why I refuse to belong to ANY congregation/church.

God said something to the effect of... "Ye without sin... cast the first stone".

I bet ain't a ONE of those people that are persecuting her are not guilty of something else or another... also called and considered hypocrites.

Now granted... she knew the churches specific beliefs and religious theocratic doings before she joined the church (or should have before hand).

She has since left the church and actually sent them a written letter of resignation. And yet they still plan on doing the "public announcement of her sins"... before the church and her children (who are still members of the church) in spite of her resignation.

GAH!!! What hypocrites!

rock_nog
12-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I am so goddamn sick of churches obsessing over sins like this. I guess it's a lot easier to judge others than to bother actually trying to live up to your religion yourself, or work in any way toward making the world a better place.

Russ
12-19-2008, 02:29 AM
A believe a quote from Jesus is fitting here (not exact quote):

"Do not worry about a splinter in someone else's eye when you have a plank in your own."

It seems like more and more churches are becoming hypocritical. It's downright wrong.

phattonez
12-19-2008, 02:36 AM
I guess it's still possible in the Catholic Church, but I feel much more comfortable confessing sins with a priest. If he spills the beans, isn't that pretty much an automatic ticket to hell? I don't know, I haven't read up on the Catechism for a while.

Shazza Dani
12-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Why tell your business to anyone? They're not God.

Cloral
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
A believe a quote from Jesus is fitting here (not exact quote):

"Do not worry about a splinter in someone else's eye when you have a plank in your own."

It seems like more and more churches are becoming hypocritical. It's downright wrong.

Also something about "love your fellow man" and "don't judge your fellow man, as that power is reserved for God himself"? Again I am not a biblical scholar by any measure, but it seems like this focus on condemning others is pretty contradictory to the message of the Bible.

Pryme8
12-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Im pretty sure we have laws to protect us from this...

not to mention priest suppose to keep everything you tell them in confidence? even rape/murder etc...

couldn't she sue the church for deformation of character?

ctrl-alt-delete
12-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I greet you in the name of Jesus Christ. I sincerely hope that you will take this email into consideration, forwarding it to whomever it may concern, and respond accordingly; not only to myself in this email, but also in how you conduct yourselves on "Sunday, January 4th, 2008." (I am going to assume that you meant 2009.)

Recently, I was informed over the internet about the following news article, which concerns the following letter, respectively:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,469928,00.html

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Church_Extortion.pdf

Specifically, I wanted to question your use of the passage in Matthew 18, verses 15-17.

In your letter, you said "...certain members of Grace Community Church have carried out the first two steps of the discipline process by reproving you in private (Matthew 18:15) and reproving you in the presence of witnesses (Matthew 18:16)."

You also said "In accordance to Matthew 18:17 we intend to 'tell it to the church.'"

Now, to provide further clarification, allow me to post the verses in question, directly from the New King James Version of the bible.

15 “Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."

The first thing that I would like to point out in this passage is in verse 15. "...if your brother sins against you"

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but in no way do I see her having sinned against any member of your church. If she has sinned, she has sinned against herself and her lover only.

I reference 1 Corinthians 8:13 and Romans 14:21, again respectively:

"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble."

"It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak."

If you choose to believe that her intimate relationship with her lover is a sin, and if she chooses not to turn from that lifestyle, then do you not also believe that by "telling it to the church" you may cause herself as well as others to stumble? If you believe that the lifestyle is a sin, and she is adamant in the fact that she will not turn from the lifestyle, do you believe that could possibly send the wrong message to your other members--that perhaps it is okay to disagree with what you teach? Do you believe that by "telling it to the church" her children will not stumble because of embarrassment? Do you believe that by "telling it to the church" that Rebecca Hancock will not be caused to stumble, possibly losing faith in church and God altogether?

I reference John 8, starting at verse 3, where an adulterer was brought before Jesus:

3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.
7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.”

When you are considering your options about whether or not to carry through on January 4th, I encourage you to allow “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” As the old saying goes, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Everyone knows that this saying is false. Words hurt; they can cut deeper than the sharpest knife. Who is the first among you that will cast your words against this woman?

Moreover, I direct you to Matthew 7:

1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.'"

In closing, I would like to mention one very important fact.

Rebecca Hancock, by speaking to Foxnews.com and allowing the article to be posted, has already confessed her "sin" to the world. In addition, we all know how much "prayer gossip" exists amongst a church. I would dare to guess that Rebecca Hancock has been the topic of much gossip around your church as it is, and there is no reason to continue this matter any further. Gossip is equal as a sin in God's eyes to adultery, lies, and even murder.

Thank you for your time in reading this email. God bless you and your church.

ZTC
12-21-2008, 12:59 AM
phattonez, to (somewhat) answer your question; the Bible says that persons in power and teachers (ie, lawgivers, pastors, ect), are held to a higher standard and will be judged by God more severely for what sins they have committed.
I don't exactly remember where that is in the New Testament, but that pretty much sums up what that passage says.

ctrl-alt-delete
12-21-2008, 01:48 AM
phattonez, to (somewhat) answer your question; the Bible says that persons in power and teachers (ie, lawgivers, pastors, ect), are held to a higher standard and will be judged by God more severely for what sins they have committed.
I don't exactly remember where that is in the New Testament, but that pretty much sums up what that passage says.

I completely disagree with that.

I have read the Bible numerous times, and from what I have understood countless times, everybody will be judged the same according to their standard.

Now, obviously God has issues with those that are in a position of leadership and "cause others to stumble."

Leaders should always be a good example, not to risk sounding like a boyscout.

Edit: Now that I have looked back over what I emailed to the church, I realized I missed two more points I wanted to touch on.

1. When the Bible says "tell it to the church," it doesn't mean to tell people's sins to the congregation. It means to go to the church leaders about the matter.

2. "Treat them like heathens and tax collectors." We all know how Jesus treated those types--with unending love.

I typed that email at work today while selling furniture. Haha.

AtmaWeapon
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Isn't plastering her sins on Fox News pretty much worse than having the church elders share it with their much smaller social circle? I mean, now instead of maybe a few dozen people knowing her dirty laundry the entire nation knows it.

Also the church elders need to get booted out. Personal business is personal business, and those who are rolling in sin need the church more, not less. If they're so righteous than the church isn't there to save them so they need to just get out.