PDA

View Full Version : Large Mode: the official topic

_L_
12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Large Mode is the new interface for ZQuest. It looks like this: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3259/zelda002kd3.gif

It features the following primary attributes, in order of importance:

* Main Screen
The main screen is twice as large as in Small Mode, and includes a Screen Edge Preview showing the adjoining rows and columns of the adjacent screens.

* Screen Tabs
You can have 9 screens 'open' simultaneously. The tabs display the screen number of the screen that they are set to.

Current disadvantage: don't look tab-shaped.

* Layers Bar
It should always be possible to instantly tell how many layers a particular screen has, and which layer you are currently working on. To that end, this Layers Bar exists. Layers are grouped by type, and the visibility of each can be toggled with a checkbox. The screen number of the screen for that layer is displayed on the button.

* Combo Selectors
Three selectors allow you to select combos from three different places in the combo list simultaneously. The currently selected combo is displayed atop. Also present: buttons that advance the lists of combos, in a manner similar to Shift-Page Up and Shift-Page Down.

Current disadvantage: apparantly people find three selectors intimidating?

* Main Panel
Previously the only panel in Small Mode. It houses the important Minimap, which lets users choose a screen from the current Map to work on.
The Main Panel contains the following pages of options, which can be selected with the row of buttons beneath:
* Main. Displays the selected combo's number, type, tile, walkability, and cycle. Also, the name of the currently open quest file.
* Flags. The only way to place the Item location square, as well as the 'legacy squares', which are the Green Square and the Stair Square. And, there's a square that lets you place more of the most recently selected Combo Flag.
* Screen Flags. Shows some of the current screen flag settings for this screen, as well as the Enemy Flags and the Enemy Pattern. Current disadvantage: not very useful at all. Likely to be cut?
* Room Type. Displays the current Guy, String, Room Type, and Catch All value (which will usually be the Special Item).
* Tile Warp. Displays some of the settings for Tile Warp A and Side Warp A. Current disadvantage: no room for warps B, C and D.
* Maze Path. Shows the Maze Path settings. That's it. Likely to be cut?
* Nothing. Since Layers are now controlled by the Layers Bar, this button will be removed.
* Warp Returns. The only way to place the Warp Return squares. The most important panel?
* Preview. In Preview Mode, the panel displays the key commands for Preview Mode.

* Commands
Select a command that you use often, so that you don't have to use the menu bar all the time. Personal recommendations: Tiles, Combos and Compile ZScript.

Current disadvantage: takes up a bit of space. Could it be a dropdown menu?

* Favorites
Place your most commonly-used combos in this panel. Current disadvantage: do we really need that many spaces?

So, let's discuss ways to improve this interface. Some starting questions:

1) Should the Main Panel be larger? Should Commands be integrated into it? Should the Minimap take up more of the screen? Should we replace the icon buttons with text buttons? Which panels should be cut? Can we put the most useful functions into a single panel?

2) Should the Screen Tabs be moved somewhere else? Above the screen, or below the Layers Bar?

3) Do Commands and Favorites take up too much space? Are the Combo Selectors a bit too tall? Are the combos themselves too small? Could we do fine with just two Combo Selectors or even one?

ShadowTiger
12-15-2008, 09:32 AM
My Opinions:

1) The Minimap could stand to be a bit larger. Some people are a tad blind, and can't really spot a 3x3 pixel block that well. Perhaps shrink the panel buttons in the lower left corner into a 4x2 space below the panel they represent, and enlarge the minimap? Once someone learns pageup and pagedown, they don't use those buttons much anymore, really.

2) Would it be possible to "enlarge" the Tiles Pages so they're not as hard to see anymore? Essentially, it'd mean having two modes for it: Enlarged, and Screenshot-Compatible. Hell, hitting the "screenshot compatible" button would really just take a screenshot, and halve the size of the image to emulate compatibility before reduction even takes place, as it's already taken the screenshot as the proper size with no visible difference to the screenshot taker.

3) Commands are Favorites are perfectly fine, -if- they're nothing else to take their place. If someday we discover another possibility, I can imagine us alternating between the Commands and Favorites area, and some other thing that'd fit into the same space.

Nicholas Steel
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
- try removing the thick borders around things, things like the "command" buttons are pretty huge, dividers between the 3 combo selectors on the right is pretty wide, the menu bar itself can be shorter in height, etc.

- increase the size of the minimap :P

- change/remove the icons for the buttons under the minimap.

- have support for pinned dialog boxes ;)

- as a matter of personal preference, I preferred the old skool font that used to be used in all the dialogs before they were "enlarged" :/

- move the "screen tabs" above the main screen, but under the "menu bar"

Russ
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Here's what I think about it. It's a nice interface, but it's too big. I'm used to windowed mode standard editor. And then comes large mode. For people used to small mode, it's too big. For people new to ZC, it's too confusing.

Shazza Dani
12-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe put the minimap in place of the favourites box, so it's bigger. And replace the third combo section with a favourites section. ???

Linkus
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Eh, it's the window itself - that's the problem. Everything's crammed into one window, and you can't change/move things around, or remove and add other stuff; It's just not customizable at all.

Here's a few things that should be in a separate window:

Combo List. One per window is enough; let the user decide how many lists he or she wants to have at a time. Also, take the search and other abilities from the Combo Editor, and include them into that window.
Tabbed lists. Organization is key - Resources aren't really marked properly as of right now. With this master list, different resources such as items, weapons, tile pages, combos, and sound effects are separated to different directories and files.
DMap List. Not do you just have the Dmap name and type in an easy and accessible list form, you also have each screen listed, and their warps marked to where they go, and the items that are there. An advanced view could also keep track of combo IDs and various flags.
Item Tracker. Heart Container Pieces, rupees, and quest-specific items are tallied here, along with location and conditions.
Minimap, nothing else to say about that.That's all I can say.

EDIT: Thought of something else - a Comment section. Screens and Dmaps are what it's for, to make notes about the screen. For example, an unset warp because the destination screen wasn't made yet. Also, include a notepad, letting people write down things that are specific to that quest.

Dark Nation
12-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Suggestions are good. Keep them coming. But it's a lot easier to see what someone is talking about if they create a mockup for their vision.

Russ
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
What Linkus was saying gives me an idea. Make it fully customizable.

For example, let's say that rather than have a favorites menu at the bottom right of the screen, I want it to be commands. So I click ETC-Customize. I click on the favorites, and choose something else (in this case commands, but it could be anything). And then it rearanges them to put the thing I asked for there. Or if I wanted the far right combo list to be combo alliases, I coulkd do the same thing, click on the third combo list, and choose combo alliases to have them be out there.

Shazza Dani
12-15-2008, 05:42 PM
This is the general idea I was trying to convey in my previous post:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/lolckup1.png

pkmnfrk
12-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Here's what I think about it. It's a nice interface, but it's too big. I'm used to windowed mode standard editor. And then comes large mode. For people used to small mode, it's too big. For people new to ZC, it's too confusing.

How do you know? You're not new to ZC. And, very few people who are new to ZC use the betas (or, at least, talk about them).

The thing about small mode is that it was great -- up until it switched to the Windows-style GUI. Then, it became awkward. From something that looks like Windows, I expect certain Windows-like behaviour. Dragging the title bar of a sub window should move the window (this should be addressed in large mode too), etc. Under DOS, we didn't have these assumptions.

Eh, it's the window itself - that's the problem. Everything's crammed into one window, and you can't change/move things around, or remove and add other stuff; It's just not customizable at all.

Here's a few things that should be in a separate window:

Combo List. One per window is enough; let the user decide how many lists he or she wants to have at a time. Also, take the search and other abilities from the Combo Editor, and include them into that window.
Tabbed lists. Organization is key - Resources aren't really marked properly as of right now. With this master list, different resources such as items, weapons, tile pages, combos, and sound effects are separated to different directories and files.
DMap List. Not do you just have the Dmap name and type in an easy and accessible list form, you also have each screen listed, and their warps marked to where they go, and the items that are there. An advanced view could also keep track of combo IDs and various flags.
Item Tracker. Heart Container Pieces, rupees, and quest-specific items are tallied here, along with location and conditions.
Minimap, nothing else to say about that.That's all I can say.

EDIT: Thought of something else - a Comment section. Screens and Dmaps are what it's for, to make notes about the screen. For example, an unset warp because the destination screen wasn't made yet. Also, include a notepad, letting people write down things that are specific to that quest.

Much of that stuff I do using an external document, as it is both easier and more flexible.

My biggest suggestion would be to augment the Favourites panel. Maybe have it so that you can toggle it between the Favourites and the Mini Map (since, it's unlikely you'll need both at the same time).

Or, if you want to go hog-crazy, add a multi-window dialog system, if that's at all possible in Allegro! Float the Mini map, Favourites and even the command bar!

redmage777
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Silly stuff:
I'm not complaining too much about large mode... other then it being too small. (Really I could fit 4 windowed large modes on my display without an overlap)

Seriously:
I can understand some of the complaints. Combining The favorites and command panel into one does make sense. Its rare to need to switch between them so often that is too much trouble. A nice big mini map seems like it would be essential in the next version, considering some of the features y'all have slated in the distant future.
I more or less concur with mighty darknut's diagram. And Screen notes are a great idea for one of the main panel features.

jman2050
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Do realize that we can rewrite the underlying ZQ GUI structure to accomadate more flexible functionality if it's wanted, just know that any attempts to do so would only lead to more development time and inevitably more bugs. 2.5 is overdue as-is, so try to keep your suggestions realistic. We'll have plenty of time for complete structure rewrites once 2.5 is out the door.

Russ
12-15-2008, 08:16 PM
In that case, large mode's good enough for now. 2.5 first, large mode later.

Shazza Dani
12-15-2008, 08:32 PM
In that case, large mode's good enough for now. 2.5 first, large mode later.

That's what I was thinking. D;

beefster09
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Five simple, quick changes:
-Expand the menu bar.
-Page icons to text (thereby shorter, giving more room for the menu bar)
-Move the map tabs to above the map. (open to discussion)
-The tab key (and shift+tab too) should cycle through the layers.
-Shrink the favorites panel and expand the commands panel. You don't need that many favorites and it'd be nice to have more commands. Maybe even push up the favs a bit and push the commands over.

Anthus
12-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Suggestions are good. Keep them coming. But it's a lot easier to see what someone is talking about if they create a mockup for their vision.

BAM! (http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5205/zc25mockupts7.png)

So, lemme explain this. It is kinda crappy, but it gets the point across.

Move lower menu bar for larger map.
Smaller "Command" bar for moved window tabs.
"Jump to_" is something I'd love to see. It is kind of like a "bookmark". You register a combo, and can jump to it on the combo list. This would be great for getting from 'dungeon' to 'floor border' without gratuitous amounts of scrolling etc. I hope that makes sense. I doubt it would be too hard to implement. It could use a modded favorite code?
Display Settings? This is for the kind of stuff Linkus mentioned. It would probably require a lot of work, but customizing windows, and such would be awesome, and eliminate everything else I said >.>
An option to remove/ extend certain things. I'd like to remove the screen borders sometimes. It can get confusing.
EDIT: A 'true' mini-map?

Nicholas Steel
12-16-2008, 02:19 AM
If you simply increased the reolution of Large mode, you can have a much improved version of the current layout without it looking so clunky :/ and you can even fit a larger minimap in :D

Nicholas Steel
12-16-2008, 04:47 AM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/franpa/zelda002kd3.jpg

Minor changes, just resized some borders, the minimap, main buttons and renamed the Etc. menu option... I would do more but the image provided uses layers or something and fucks up in mspaint when ever I try moving something :/ had to redraw the writing next to the minimap after moving it across, hell I couldn't move the text that far across because it gets covered by some gray on a higher layer or something fucked o_O

Provide a single layer image of the ZQUEST GUI and I'll make a better mockup.

_L_
12-16-2008, 05:04 AM
"Jump to_" is something I'd love to see. It is kind of like a "bookmark". You register a combo, and can jump to it on the combo list. This would be great for getting from 'dungeon' to 'floor border' without gratuitous amounts of scrolling etc. I hope that makes sense. I doubt it would be too hard to implement. It could use a modded favorite code?
But I already added this in build 809!
* Now, right-clicking on a combo in the Favorites palette gives you the menu option of scrolling to the combo instead of just editing it. ( _L_, 2008-06-04 07:50:14 )

Shoelace
12-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Okay, since I really really really really want 2.5 to finish soon because I am pulling out my hair; I will offer some Shoelace suggestions! Dun Dun Dun!

* Screen Tabs
Screen tabs are great. No problem with that.

* Layers Bar
Layer's Bar is cool. One thing though is: wouldn't it be cool to automatically be taken to the layer screen you want to edit? Say for example, the layer 2, you want to edit it. So you click on Layer 2 go to, and it goes to that screen. Since there isn't that much room, I say a hot key could be good for that. For example, if you right click it goes, or maybe if you click while holding the ctrl. Just a thought. Just saying. If not, whatever.

* Combo Selectors
The main problem with this is that everything is SO SMALL. Seriously, when I am trying to make something like for example a certain combo cycle, the tiles look alike, so I don't know what I am clicking on because it is SO SMALL. Sometimes, there is a small detail on the tile that I have to go face to face with the screen just to see.

Solution: Make it two instead of three!!!! Or better yet: Have an option on the side of the current tile, that says: 1, 2, or 3. When it is clicked on 1. It only shows one! And if you really want on the top there can be left and right arrows to toggle through the combo selectors. When clicked 2, it shows 2. When clicked 3, it shows as displayed. I think this would be way better and we satisfy everyone. ;)

* Main Panel
It is just two small. Especially for the all important mini map. Those toggle buttons on the bottom, need to be smaller. And then this needs to be stretched or at least redesigned for the mini map. My Solution is explained in the next part:

* Commands/Favorites
My suggestion is for both of them. The Main panel uses a toggle system to go through things. Why not use the same thing for the Commands and Favorites. Have an arrow button or tab that makes it toggle through the two: Commands and Favorites. It is still really easy to do and it saves A LOT of Room. They are pretty much the same size and it is in a perfect place, the lower right. Plus, the Main Panel can now be stretched to fit the bottom and be a lot bigger. <3

*Also
OMG, PLEASE extend the tile pages.... It is just impossible to edit things. That is my biggest hurdle with Large Mode. The Tile Page, and the Combo Pages are just UNBELIEVABLY SMALL. I just can't work with it. I tried and I can't. So that is why I am still in small mode. But once you fix that, I will move. But OMG, it is so small. >_<

That is all. XD

Nicholas Steel
12-16-2008, 05:59 AM
the current map and screen information is shown directly above the minimap, maybe move it to the right of the minimap but placed vertically, so like this,
MAP
SCREEN
to allow even further resizing of the minimap?

Russ
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree with Shoelace, the tile editor is so hard to work with. Why can't it be a little bigger?

jman2050
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
THe tile editor, along with the combo editor and subscreen editor, will be increased in size by the time 2.5 is released, don't worry.

s2dve
12-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Good. I'm an old guy and the tiles are very hard to see.

Perhaps increasing the font of things like the map number on the main page and in the sub menu when you right click on a combo?

I know it's called large mode, but to me there is really nothing large about it.:)

Shazza Dani
12-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I have a question that I may as well ask here; How do you remove a combo from favourites? >.<

s2dve
12-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I couldn't figure that one out either.

Link
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
I have a question that I may as well ask here; How do you remove a combo from favourites? >.<

I couldn't figure that one out either.

Control + Left-click.

beefster09
12-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with the toggle button for the commands/favorites.
I stand by all my other suggestions stated earlier.

Anthus
12-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Provide a single layer image of the ZQUEST GUI and I'll make a better mockup.

Hmm. It copied fine for me into MS paint :/ I have Windows 2000.

But I already added this in build 809!

*Ecstatic reaction* So, how do you do it?

Erm.. Dumb question: How do you add them to favorites :D ?

cbailey78
12-17-2008, 03:19 AM
THe tile editor, along with the combo editor and subscreen editor, will be increased in size by the time 2.5 is released, don't worry.

...and the Palette editor as well!

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Erm.. Dumb question: How do you add them to favorites :D ?

Just click in the favourites box and your active combo will be placed there.

Dark Nation
12-17-2008, 07:49 AM
The tile editor is already full sized. Do you, by chance, mean the tile list window?

Nicholas Steel
12-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmm. It copied fine for me into MS paint :/ I have Windows 2000.
select the word "combo" next to the minimap and drag it around (you know, draw a selection box around it) does it bug out then?

ShadowTiger
12-17-2008, 10:30 AM
The tile editor is already full sized. Do you, by chance, mean the tile list window?

That'd be the one. Gives people a headache to look at right now. Thanks are given.

jman2050
12-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Yeah, that's what we meant I assume.

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Also, unless I'm mistaken, you can't take a screenshot of a tile page without capturing the entire ZQ window. So you can't even rip tiles from it because everything is misaligned.

ShadowTiger
12-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Aye; we really need some sort of "Take Screenshot" button that lets us name it as we take it. It's surprisingly important. D: It's been a problem for years. I mean, an actual button on the bottom panel.

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 02:45 PM
It would also be nice if we could choose a screenshot directory, so the main ZC folder doesn't get flooded with screenshots.

Anthus
12-17-2008, 05:20 PM
select the word "combo" next to the minimap and drag it around (you know, draw a selection box around it) does it bug out then?

It works. It just drags the word, and any selected gray around revealing a white rectangle behind it. EDIT: It could have to do with your default background color? Mine is white.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, you can't take a screenshot of a tile page without capturing the entire ZQ window. So you can't even rip tiles from it because everything is misaligned.

Yeah.. Someone said before it should automatically resize tile page screenshots for ripping, or better yet, include the option.

It would also be nice if we could choose a screenshot directory, so the main ZC folder doesn't get flooded with screenshots.

You can sort of do this. Copy ZC, and you .qst into its own folder, and any screencap will go here; in this quest's designated folder.

pkmnfrk
12-17-2008, 05:46 PM
What's wrong with cropping and resizing a screen shot? And, hitting F12 to get said shot? We really don't need an actual button to do that...

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 05:57 PM
What's wrong with cropping and resizing a screen shot?

It's a huge pain in the ass. And that never used to be necessary, so I'm calling it a bug. HEY GUYS, THERE'S A SCREENSHOT BUG!

Anthus
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
And resizing can sometimes add colors to a .gif for whatever reason; even if it is an exact 50% resize. And, it is a pain in the ass, I mean, aren't these newer versions supposed to be easier?

pkmnfrk
12-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I would also like to point out that the screenshot tool is for taking (drumroll please) screenshots! If I take a screenshot, it bloody well be the size of the (virtual) screen. Perhaps you could use the tileset export tool?

Joe123
12-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Perhaps a 'tilepage shot' tool would be worthwhile then.
I never liked the import-export tools.

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
I would also like to point out that the screenshot tool is for taking (drumroll please) screenshots! If I take a screenshot, it bloody well be the size of the (virtual) screen. Perhaps you could use the tileset export tool?

That would be inconvenient. When I'm working on tiles, I constantly take screenshots so I have images saved in the event that something crashes/gets corrupt/whatever.

Pineconn
12-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Can the static animation be an option? In large mode, when I move the mouse cursor onto any place except for the screen (the menu, the tile list, the bottom section, etc.), the cursor flickers like crazy at about the same speed as the static. An option in the Etc -> Options menu would be nice to be able to turn the static animation on and off... but it's a minor thing. If it's too much of a problem, don't worry about it.

I should mention that this never happens in 2.10.

pkmnfrk
12-17-2008, 09:17 PM
That would be inconvenient. When I'm working on tiles, I constantly take screenshots so I have images saved in the event that something crashes/gets corrupt/whatever.

Well, although you don't get an editable image, you do get an archive of all your tiles, easily importable without worrying about palette conflicts. Sounds like an idea backup.

Can the static animation be an option? In large mode, when I move the mouse cursor onto any place except for the screen (the menu, the tile list, the bottom section, etc.), the cursor flickers like crazy at about the same speed as the static. An option in the Etc -> Options menu would be nice to be able to turn the static animation on and off... but it's a minor thing. If it's too much of a problem, don't worry about it.

I should mention that this never happens in 2.10.

Oh, yeah. I had been meaning to file a bug about the flicker. I can't really wrap my head around why the cursor would flicker for any reason, but yeah.

redmage777
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM

I Agree, I'm not a huge fan of the static... I'd prefer a Depressed button effect to represent void areas.

s2dve
12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
This may not be the place to ask this but it does deal with something that really bothers me about Large mode.

And that would be the cursor movement. On my desktop or in any other program I'm in, I can move my mouse less than two inches left or right and move the cursor from one edge of the screen to the other.

In zquest large mode, I have to move my mouse like 5 inches to move the cursor from one edge to the other. It doesn't sound like much, but it is very annoying. I have to pick my mouse up and move it back a lot of the time, so I can get the cursor to where I want it.

Am I missing something here? Anybody else see this?

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 10:11 PM
The mouse speed is perfectly normal for me.

ShadowTiger
12-17-2008, 10:31 PM
In zquest large mode, I have to move my mouse like 5 inches to move the cursor from one edge to the other. It doesn't sound like much, but it is very annoying. I have to pick my mouse up and move it back a lot of the time, so I can get the cursor to where I want it.

Am I missing something here? Anybody else see this?Trackballs Are WIN (http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:JhZhO6mUDM7jdM:http://www.lions-wing.net/lessons/hardware/Trackball2.jpg).

(This is not an advertisement. ^.^ )

Shazza Dani
12-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Trackballs Are WIN (http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:JhZhO6mUDM7jdM:http://www.lions-wing.net/lessons/hardware/Trackball2.jpg).

(This is not an advertisement. ^.^ )

I bought one of those a few years ago, 'cause some persons over at PureZC or somewhere convinced me they were good… Sucked, bro. Trackballs are hard enough to use for normal crap—they make spriting IMPOSSIBLE.

pkmnfrk
12-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Anybody else see this?

I don't. It seems perfectly matched to my Windows mouse speed.

s2dve
12-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Crap, that's what I was afraid of. Nobody but me.

Could this because of the screen resolution I'm using?

800 x 600

Sorry ShadowTiger, I'm too old to learn track ball.

Nicholas Steel
12-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Track ball is 2nd nature to a standard mouse, very easy and quick to master or they where back in the Windows 95/98 era :/

ShadowTiger
12-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I think it depends on which Trackball you get. I really do. As far as I'm concerned, all Mice operate the same. There are far more unique differences between trackballs, and if you get the kind that isn't right for you, it's no wonder it can put you off of trackballs entirely. The one I linked to, pretty much everyone I've asked liked. (I brought in a model just to prove any point I was trying to make.) It's nicely form-fitting without being constricting or uncomfortable.

Are you using the problem in a Window or in Full-Screen mode?

s2dve
12-17-2008, 11:39 PM
I use a laser type mouse, I just tried an old ball type mouse and another lazor mouse that plugs into usb port. Same thing.

I think I said mouse too many times in that sentence.:D

I never had the problem in fullscreen. In the last few builds I haven't tried it. I couldn't remember what to type in to get into full.

And I never noticed it in windowed.

ShadowTiger
12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Ah. It's far easier to use the yellow-Icon'd "ZC Launcher" that comes packaged with ZC. Nothing needs to be typed. It's just a checkbox you can click on the ZQuest Tab.

s2dve
12-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Yeah, been there and tried that many times.

It has never has worked for me. Not in windowed, 2x or 3x. And the strange thing is when I do open it in large mode, under etc, full screen is checked.
If I then uncheck it, zquest immediately crashes to my desktop.

pkmnfrk
12-18-2008, 02:23 AM
Ah. It's far easier to use the yellow-Icon'd "ZC Launcher" that comes packaged with ZC. Nothing needs to be typed. It's just a checkbox you can click on the ZQuest Tab.

I use shortcuts that I made... uh... Well, it was pre-ZCL, anyway. They just run zelda-w/zquest with a standard set of options how I like it:

D:\zc25\zelda-w.exe -res 640 480 big -fast -windowed -quickload

D:\zc25\zquest-w.exe -large

And, I've been using them ever since.

Hmm... I guess I don't need to keep "-large" in there any more...

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT:

Can the static animation be an option? etc, etc

Oh, and, yes, it's already an option. Check Etc->Options->"Use Static for Invalid Data". It replaces the minimap static with black, and the Favourites pane static with... uh, white boxes. Hey, what happened to the red-box-in-a-black-box? Why isn't that the "no data here" icon?

EDIT II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

And, disabling the static does not get rid of the flicker. And, if you look carefully, it's flickering in response to... the tile animation?!

Nicholas Steel
12-18-2008, 03:29 AM
"Use Static for Invalid Data" that needs to be renamed :/ to "Use Static for Invalid map Data" or "Use Static for blank maps"

Pineconn
12-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh, and, yes, it's already an option. Check Etc->Options->"Use Static for Invalid Data". It replaces the minimap static with black, and the Favourites pane static with... uh, white boxes. Hey, what happened to the red-box-in-a-black-box? Why isn't that the "no data here" icon?

EDIT II: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

And, disabling the static does not get rid of the flicker. And, if you look carefully, it's flickering in response to... the tile animation?!

Oh... look at that. It's already an option... Thank you.

And yeah, it does still flicker a little bit with it turned off... Ugh, it's so annoying.

Shazza Dani
12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
The cursor should stop flickering if you turn off tile animation…

Nicholas Steel
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
They can fix the flicker with Vsync ;)

Brandon
12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, there's one thing that would really be nice for Zquest in general. Tooltips describing some of the options. The ones where if you hold the mouse over an element for a few seconds, a small floating text box will appear describing what it does.

Christian
12-22-2008, 04:43 AM
I think we wouldn't see that type of feature in zelda classic anytime soon. A feature which you can set diffrent csets on each combo row would be really really helpful and makes building quests a lot easier.

ShadowTiger
12-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Although I'm sure a visual example would help to speed things along, but I'll take a rapid assumption and say that we already have that, but it operates on individual combos. Click the 8x8 pixel squares in the box to the right of the walkability box when editing a combo, and then set the "Alt. Cset" (Whatever it's called) on the same dialog screen to an offset for whatever the alternate cset should be.

For example, if you set the top half of the combo to use an alternate cset, and set the alternate cset to 2, then if you're operating in Cset 3, you can draw half the combo in cset 3, and that top half of the combo in cset 5. If you're drawing in Cset 2, that same combo will draw the top half of the combo in cset 4.

Dark Nation
12-24-2008, 07:21 PM
I think we wouldn't see that type of feature in zelda classic anytime soon. A feature which you can set diffrent csets on each combo row would be really really helpful and makes building quests a lot easier.

Actually, that code has been in ZQuest since Build 827 (June 20, 2008) but wasn't turned on. I just now turned it on for testing. It's very incomplete and needs to be tweaked/expanded. All it does right now is tell you what screen you are on if the mouse is in the map area or tell you what combo the mouse is pointing at if it is in the combo list on the right of the map area.

Sephiroth
12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
You wanna know what I would like to see? Favorites that actually persist cross-session in ZQuest.

Dark Nation
12-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, favorites are SUPPOSED to be stored in the quest file. I just checked and they aren't being saved. So, this is a bug I need to fix.

Sephiroth
12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Also, a menu option in the favorites to remove the favorite combo.

Dark Nation
12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Also, a menu option in the favorites to remove the favorite combo.

Fixed.

Christian
12-30-2008, 05:38 AM
good because it was soo annoying that you couldn't remove a favorite combo once you added them. thanks dark nation you are the best. ugh, I can't think of anything to be added in large mode :-(. other than those cset options on each row of the combo table.

Dark Nation
12-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Well, you *could* remove them. Just Ctrl-click on them and they're gone. But now you have the menu option as well. :)