PDA

View Full Version : Vaati's First Quest

Saffith
12-13-2008, 04:33 PM
For whatever reason, I decided to change the first quest so that you play as Vaati instead of Link.

Download:
DepositFiles (http://depositfiles.com/files/ok0p2m179)
MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N81ISCK8)
MediaFire (http://www.mediafire.com/?cmcttww1nlm)
Requires at least build 907.

Most of the items are different, and just about all of the new ones use magic.
If you have at least three full magic containers, you can change to Vaati's floating eye form by pressing L+R. The two forms use different spells and items, which are in separate sections in the subscreen.
In human form, Vaati's pretty weak, but his MP will gradually refill if he's got less than three magic containers full.
Transformed Vaati has some ridiculously powerful spells, but they burn through MP quickly.

I won't list all the new stuff, but here are a few of the changes.
Vaati's A button weapons are weaker than Link's swords and don't fire beams, but they have longer range. Their power doubles when transformed. The second requires six hearts, and the third requires nine.
Vaati has no shield. Instead, he gets barrier magic. It blocks all projectiles from every direction, even when attacking, but it uses MP while active.
Potions have been replaced by spells that convert between MP and HP. The one used in human form drains MP and restores HP, and the transformed version does the opposite.
No bombs. Instead, you get magic that fires explosive projectiles. Use it once to launch the projectile, then use it again to detonate it. Dodongos can't eat these, so you'll have to stun them and stab them.
The rings have been replaced with items that reduce Vaati's MP drain while transformed, and the second has an additional effect that I'll leave as a surprise. This means there are no items that reduce damage, but I think the heal and barrier spells make up for it well enough.

I'll publish the item scripts sooner or later, but they need a lot of cleanup first.

(Update: bugfix)
(Update: another bugfix)
(Update: unpassworded)

Gleeok
01-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Finally got a chance to get to the end of this thing, and I must say that's some some damn fine work. The barrier seems to be a wee bit too powerful, but all-in-all it's pretty balanced. Howsabouts a Vaati's second quest? :) ...Perhaps with fast scrolling this time. :P

Anyone that hasn't yet checked this out; It's very nice.

HeroOfFire
02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Now here's a cool idea! Play a familiar quest with different gameplay mechanics. We could use a few more quests like this one...

I played a "human run", meaning I never transformed for any reason other than just to see what it could do (including the very powerful attacks). I found that the game starts off hard, since Vatti is somewhat weaker than Link in his human form. Level 5 is very difficult, since you have lacking offense and defense against the mass of Darknuts. On the other hand, I don't think I ever took damage in Level 6, as the barrier works wonders.

Perhaps the only issue I found gameplay wise was the advanced "arrows". I had some trouble lining up against a Ghoma or two, but the upgrade is cool in action against Pols Voice! Maybe the graphics of the weapons threw me off, or maybe you really did make them move that way, but still cool.

Come to think of it, the second quest would have a few oddities, such as the red bubble not having as dramatic of an effect unless against Dodongos, such as those in Level 8. Also, the explosive magic would need to show up in a different place, such as Level 1.

terces0
03-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Is this quest still around? I would like to try it out.

Chris Miller
03-22-2015, 09:10 PM
You'd be better off firing Saffith a PM, rather than gravedigging this old thread. It's not technically against the rules, really, but it's kind of frowned on unless you have a really good reason.

That said, welcome to AGN. There's plenty of new threads around, post in 'em!