PDA

View Full Version : Scientists on Meth!

firebug
12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.newser.com/story/45008/legalize-ritalin-like-drugs-as-brain-boosters-experts.html

Basically, About 1/5 of the scientific community admits to using ADD meds including Ritalin and Adderall (sp?) for off the label purposes. They are advocating legalization for the general public as 'brain-boosters'.

First off, This is just ridiculous. Ephedrine was taken off the market just a few years ago because of the 'potential adverse side effects'. These drugs and those chemically similar are much much more dangerous physically.
It seems to me that the medical community found a way to eliminate a natural plant-derived substance that they had no control over, and are replacing it with synthetic chemicals that already have patents etc. slapped onto them, which can be incredibly controlled price-wise. Monopoly, anyone?

Second, and more of a question to you all: I don't advocate the use of any mind-altering substances. Amphetamine analogues, including Meth and Adderrall, I believe are especially dangerous in that they make people extremely selfish/self absorbed, and literally rot you from the inside out. BUT I do not believe that anyone has the right to tell you what you can or cannot put into your own body. Moral laws like drug laws are entirely reprehensible to me, and thus, I am for legalization of all mind-altering substances, with help out there for those who have self-control/addiction problems.

So, What do you guys think about the article? Are you for legalization? Against? Tell me why!

Beldaran
12-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm pro legalization of all drugs with the caveat that employers can test you for drugs and fire you if they don't like the drugs you're taking. Heroine users can just Darwin themselves out of existence for all I care. The "War on Drugs" is totally ineffective and does nothing except increase the price of drugs and help make the drug lords even more rich.

I don't advocate the use of any mind-altering substances.

Ever had a cup of coffee or a Mountain Dew? You ingested caffeine, a potent mind altering drug.

Archibaldo
12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Monopoly, anyone?

No thanks. That game takes like 4 hours to play and even then it only ends after people get sick and tired of playing. Seriously, has anyone ever finished a game of Monopoly by actually making all the other players go bankrupt?

rock_nog
12-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Beldaran, you forgot the billions and billions wasted every year on the capture and incarceration of drug users.

Aegix Drakan
12-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I used to take ritalin daily (ADHD). It helped. Now, though, considering that I don't need massive concentration for Game Testing, I haven't used any in almost half a year.

I honestly don't miss it. If I (HOPEFULLY) get a more involving job, I might take it again, but until then, I don't take what I don't need.

Seriously, has anyone ever finished a game of Monopoly by actually making all the other players go bankrupt?

Yes. But I was the first guy out. I was nice at the start of the game, and loaned a frend of mine money to buy a hotel.

...Wouldn't you know it, I land on his hotel TWICE! The first time he only charged me half price, but the second time...no mercy. Oh, and another friend onwed a whole side of the board. I got owned.

It's pretty fun when all the players are sleep deprived, and acting a bit loony.

Shazza Dani
12-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I pretty much agree with Beldaran.

firebug
12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Ever had a cup of coffee or a Mountain Dew? You ingested caffeine, a potent mind altering drug.

Many times. Notice I didn't say I don't use them or never have. I said I don't ADVOCATE the use of them. I'm not going to tell people to take anything. That's their own decision to make, which was my whole point in the first place.

Revfan9
12-12-2008, 10:16 PM
No thanks. That game takes like 4 hours to play and even then it only ends after people get sick and tired of playing. Seriously, has anyone ever finished a game of Monopoly by actually making all the other players go bankrupt?

The more people you have playing, the faster it goes by. You can also play a short game where you can set a time limit, and the person with the most money (after mortgaging all their properties and paying all their debts) at the end wins.

Dechipher
12-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I always win and make people go bankrupt. They'll try to be like "I don't want to play anymore, you win" and I'm like "Fuck that. Roll again"

rock_nog
12-12-2008, 10:56 PM
In my experience, a game of Monopoly never ends until someone gets angry and sends the board flying across the room.

Shazza Dani
12-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I don't know how a game of monopoly ever gets started. Where do you find a group of people who hate themselves so much that the wish to endure that kind of torture?

Beldaran
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
In my experience, a game of Monopoly never ends until someone gets angry and sends the board flying across the room.

This is amazing. It's like, all of Marxist thought summarized in a single sentence. :)

Revfan9
12-13-2008, 12:49 AM
I say the new version should allow the richest player to be able to get a bailout from the federal government.

Modus Ponens
12-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Amphetamine analogues ... literally rot you from the inside out.

firebug. Come on, now. Do you really think that these drugs cause any sort of literal rot whatsoever? Are you sure you didn't mean figuratively?

That's it. I'm making a new thread.

firebug
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
No, I meant literally for sure. You've never heard of Meth Mouth?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meth_mouth
I know wikipedia's not the best source, but I'm sure if you do a little of your own research, you'll see it's for real.
By the way, thx so much for completely de-railing my thread, guys. Anyone else with real opinions?

Shazza Dani
12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
No, I meant literally for sure. You've never heard of Meth Mouth?

Yeah, my mother… Her mouth is disgusting, and her breath is the worst thing ever. D:

Masamune
12-13-2008, 06:13 PM
http://jj.am/gallery/d/68304-1/Meth_hotter.jpg

Shazza Dani
12-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Got Hotter

More like, "Lost weight, still ugly". So what have we learned? Meth is a great diet aid!

rock_nog
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
I've always wondered about those ads - I mean, the people in 'em always look like they were pretty frightening even before taking meth.